Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new first-person sci-fi RPG from Cain & Boyarsky - coming October 25th

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by DosBuster, Dec 14, 2017.

1. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The face animations are a letdown, but I guess nothing can be done. I wish they had improved on that particular oblivion feature.

^ Top  
  2. volklore Learned

volklore
    I can tolerate bad face animations, but why the hell would they zoom in so close in this case.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Final batch of previews:

Engadget: https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/13/the-outer-worlds-e3-demo-sense-of-humor/
    Tech Advisor: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/games/the-outer-worlds-3698073/
    TechRadar: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-...y-away-from-its-fallout-roots-and-thats-great

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/vats

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/companions

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. jf8350143 Learned

jf8350143
    We have seen 3 companions so far and their design is kind disappointing to me. Not sure whether we can change their outfit or not.

^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    My explanation would be that it's cheaper to zoom in on the area from the shoulders up, than having to create animations for body language. The same solution that Morrowind originally went for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You're forgetting Parvati:

There are two more companions that haven't been revealed yet.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Dishonoredbr Educated

Dishonoredbr
    Parvati so far is the only decent/good looking female.. Ellie has a strange skin problem, to say at least and Nyoka's hair is a giant pink steel wool.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    ^ Top  
  8. Terenty Educated

Terenty
    I hope 4chan will appropriate rainbow as a hate symbol im sick of seeing it everywhere already

• honk honk! x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Yes x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. turkishronin Learned

turkishronin
    So it's basically like Hitman Absolution?

^ Top  
  10. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Who even cares about companions in a first person action RPG. They only get in the way.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    :whatho:
    You get to hear their life story and fuck them! Also Risen 2&3 companions were useful for dodging damage.

^ Top  
  12. turkishronin Learned

turkishronin
    FNV companions were a great part of the game, especially Boone

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 4
    • meh meh x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Butter Learned

Butter
    They carry your shit around for you. Pretty good deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    [​IMG]

Diego begs to differ. Granted, Gothic's third person, but the same principle applies. There are plenty of ways to make companions interesting in a first person or third person over-the-shoulder ARPG, talking purely in terms of gameplay. Piranha Bytes does it pretty much every time: make the PC a weak ass bitch who needs the protection of badass compadres to even get from point A to point B during the early game. Mass Effect's ARPG with pause system is maximum popamole, but it lets you get some decent use out of your companions.

It's true that Bethesda has never really managed to make this work (although for all of its faults, Fallout 4's companions were more effective than the typical glorified porters Bethesda saddles you with. Dogmeat holding enemies in place with his big german shepherd jaws was a real step up), and that mostly goes for New Vegas as well. But I think Tim is onto something with this leadership play style for TOW. In the interview after the latest footage, Leonard mentioned that Tim just finished a playthrough using a leader build; apparently it plays very differently. Paraphrasing:
    • Leadership skills and perks make your companions much more powerful in combat and also allow you to get higher bonuses from your companions' skills (your skills always get some level of boost from your companions, but it sounds like that scales with something in the leadership family of skills--IIRC, all skills come in groups of three or four and as long as they're below 50, adding skill points boosts the whole group).
    • It sounded like you can give your companions loose orders in combat if you take certain leadership perks.
    • Leonard said that a leadership build plays more like you're a squad leader, giving orders from the rear. Your combat skills will likely be substantially lower, but your buddies will be overpowered. He said you can't tell them to take specific actions, but "you can send them to clear out a whole area over there." Or something along those lines.
    • Outside of combat, you get to be a jack of all trades, as long as you swap out your companions so you have the right skill loadout for whatever you're doing at the time.

Maybe it will suck--it doesn't 't sound that fun to me--but IMO this is a smart way to integrate RPG systems into an action game. Your build should give you new capabilities that change how the game plays. I think Tim gets that; he's been thinking about how to do this for a very long time.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    I re-watched some of the videos... and, funny thing, but the jank is growing on me. Everything these days tries to go for realism and usually falls right into uncanny valley, this doesn't even try to hide that it's a vidya. Bring on the jank I say.

Or, if you prefer, embrace your failures.

(I dunno where this sudden wash of optimism comes from. Maybe somebody put something in the water, or it's the glorious summer weather with the birds singing, or the endorphin high of being deep into Kerbal Space Program again after the glorious Breaking Ground DLC.)

• Friendly x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    The gameplay footage is scratching that New Vegas itch. For better or worse.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    They said we can equip them however we want.

And both humans according to Dan McPhee... I was expecting at least one of them to be an animal or a robot.

2 dudes to be revealed or more woman? :D

^ Top  
  18. jf8350143 Learned

jf8350143
    By outfit I mean what they wear outside the combat, like when they are on the ship.

Maybe they will wear whatever we give them on the ship as well.

^ Top  
  19. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Don't think they will separate that, unless they have set casual clothing. Time and budget :P

If they have separate casual clothing, I'd prefer it isn't up to us to choose what they wear. They should change their initial clothing overtime themselves imo, or only 1 time after their quests completed like it was in NV.

^ Top  
  20. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/outer-wilds-was-influenced-by-futurama-firefly-1218331

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ibn Sina Learned

Ibn Sina
    So they confirmed the Futurama reference.. I knew it. It is basically Futurama in space... Not really appealing from a narrative perspective.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Pegultagol Erudite

Pegultagol
    I watched that E3 Coliseum interview that was posted here and I must say, if you exclude combat in the open space and the level of roleplaying as shown stays consistent throughout, this game should be very enjoyable similar to how FNV was. In that short demo, and although it was a carefully crafted showcase, you are presented with different paths to reach destination and another set of branches to resolve a quest using variety of skills including combat, hacking, persuasion, stealth, and perhaps traits like charisma. Sounds been there done that but I can't count on my hand the number of titles in the last few years that even attempt this kind of tried and true system let alone set in a sci-fi setting.

And some new details such as armor modding for stealth (via dampened sound, not visual camouflage) and how skills mesh each other, and the depths that seem to underly their thinking in corporate brands and other trappings (expanded banter among party members) make me ever hopeful that this game will deliver on expected quality roleplaying experience while trimming the expensive fat (open world/vehicles, romance, trannies, motion capture, random loot, etc.).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    BTW: There are also additional quest solutions according to the previous footage shown in the questlog which don't seem to require you confrontig Clive directly.
    Probably only show up if you grill Catherine for them.
    (Crystpig Food Supply/Canning machine/Financial records)

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    This dude here attended both demos and says TOW's dialogue is better than CP77's :M

Also, why did they put information about what people eat in time dilation info box? Just for flavor? Tho, it answers Shamus/MrBtounge's famous question at the least :P

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. SpaceWizardz Learned

SpaceWizardz
    Cainarksy's solution to "But what do they eat?".
    nvm can't read lol

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)