Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new first-person sci-fi RPG from Cain & Boyarsky - coming October 25th

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by DosBuster, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dishonoredbr Literate

Dishonoredbr
    That's sounds a really good way to make Charisma/Spech based builds present into actual gameplay other than ''normal'' dialogue and their skill checks more frequent so you feel more reward about your choice of build , also make stealth/sneak skills something that isn't as needed, unlike FNV , for no-Kill/pacifist playthougths. But not dumb and unreliable as Fallout 4's Wasteland Whisperer and the Intimidation perks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Whipped Cream Literate

Whipped Cream
    One possibility is to sign up for one month of Xbox Game Pass for PC on November 1st (only costs 5 dollars), play the game for a month, forget about the game for a year and then buy it when it comes to GOG with bugfixes and DLCs.

The downside is that you have to use the shitty Microsoft Store when the game first comes out.

The upside is that in theory it should be easy to migrate save files from Microsoft Store to GOG/Steam, although that is not a 100% certainty obviously.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Nano
    I don't think you understand. I'm disappointed because I refuse to install any game clients whatsoever on my PC (whether it's Steam/Epic/etc), so the only way I have to legally buy games is through retail or GOG.

• Salute Salute x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    The new XBOX app is hopefully out of beta by then, or use the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client if its out by then. (Doubt)

^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Unless I missed something, afaik it's not guaranteed that this game will ever come out on GOG. Don't wait a year expecting it to show up there unless we hear otherwise.

I sent Private Division an email asking if their store offers an offline installer similar to what GOG has.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Nano
    Absolutely. I was thinking more along the lines of New Vegas where it was put on GOG nearly a decade after release.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Whipped Cream Literate

Whipped Cream
    Yeah, I realised this right after I wrote my post.

I think thats a policy that is going to be hard for you to maintain in the long run. Physical distribution is dying. In a couple of years time I suspect that the only physical versions of most PC games that will be available will be collectors editions.

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Egosphere Erudite

Egosphere
    Don't know what to think of this, anymore. Was excited when I saw the first trailer, until the first gameplay preview came out. Then the new gameplay stuff appeared and it looked much better, but the trailers started looking awful. I hope the writing is good. That and the quest design can salvage the technical shortcomings. But it's not the team that worked on new vegas, so how high can your hopes get? :(

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yeah, I'm mighty confuse too about this. I love the idea, the world and the names behind the game. But I fucking loathe this stupid cartoony ghastly art style and cheapo vibe, it's like if Borderlands and Fallout 3 had clumsy drunk sex in a dirty slum alley. Plus those braindead dialogues in the trailers with dumbfuck Marvel grade teenage humor don't feel hopeful either. I seriously suspect it's gonna be an embarrassing blowout but I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I've said several times how shit the game looks. Now that we begin to hear a few more things about the mechanics, I do like stuff like the disguise system they're talking about.

Disguises in RPGs so often seem to work in a pretty one-off way, and mechanically shoehorned in. I wonder if having a properly dedicated system here indicates that it's going to play a more consistent part in the gameplay.

It's also an instance where the whole conceit of sci-fi setting in the outer worlds gives us something marginally more original than yet more slow-mo.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dishonoredbr Literate

Dishonoredbr
    For what they shown and said, it seems that a good ammount of thought was put behind the disguise system.

It seems a good tool to infiltrate without being unbalancead or stupid , and it's really limited , depletes fairly quick , so you still need try avoid being on enemies vision even if your in disguise so you don't waste all your skill checks tries in one room, also it's seems that your only able to use in restricted areas.

That's a step up from Fallout New Vegas, not that the bar was ever high.. But still, i think is neat way to avoid the typical slowly move crounched around everywhere to play stealth like most First person RPGs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    We need a graphics whore tag. Let the shame be known.

• Yes x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Art style complaints are valid, complaining about tire textures isn't.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    It's strange that people either love or hate the style.

I'll need to play it to decide. One thing I hate atm is how powerful lighting is on people's faces, complete complexion change under different lighting. They apparently fixed the NPC transparency we saw in PAX, hope they plan to fix this too, first they'd have to see it as a problem tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. RaptorRex888 Educated

RaptorRex888
    I don't particularly like the art style but I can get over it. Those atrocious animations are another thing entirely however. That running animation is just

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I like the art style its colorful and not taking itself too seriously but those ugly female NPCs... Well seems you can't escape from current year onto the realm of games anymore. :dealwithit: Will skip it anyways until 2020 when I will get patched game on Steam and will be able to make informed decision wherever its worth buying.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • :M :M x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Love how it just says "PC Download" and has no indication anywhere that the game is an EGS exclusive. Most places that just say PC Download will say "Requires the Steam Client" for instance somewhere, here is there is absolutely nothing...

So I must assume it will be DRM free.
    :troll:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    There are loads of DRM-free games on EGS altho they tend to be on the indie side. And TOW is published by Take Two so that's a no go with DRM-free.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sailor Woedica Scholar The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Terenty Educated

Terenty
    Maybe if Boyarsky and Cain worked with another developer team, more talented than Obsidian the game could become a classic. But the uninteresting writing and absolutely shameful artstyle, models, animation etc will ruin it

The mechanics sound nice and in line with Troika design philosophy, but the actual people working to flash it out are not capable of making something exciting

• Agree x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    My copy will be drm free

• Funny x 4
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 3
    • nice x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/17/the-outer-worlds-preview/

More previews:

https://kotaku.com/the-outer-worlds-e3-demo-featured-flexible-combat-and-s-1835506991
    https://techraptor.net/content/the-outer-worlds-e3-2019-preview
    https://www.gamesradar.com/the-outer-worlds-preview-e3-2019/
    https://www.keengamer.com/articles/previews/the-outer-worlds-preview-no-laughing-matter/
    https://www.gameskinny.com/7llsm/the-outer-worlds-preview-strange-worlds-in-strange-times
    https://www.newgamenetwork.com/article/2135/the-outer-worlds-preview-e3-2019/
    https://variety.com/2019/gaming/fea...l-ruled-by-choice-and-consequence-1203243415/
    https://monstervine.com/2019/06/the...a-familiar-and-far-out-experience-at-e3-2019/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dishonoredbr Literate

Dishonoredbr
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Podcast link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...r-to-fallout-new/id1039413502?i=1000441825263

"Cyberpunky"???

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)