Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new first-person sci-fi RPG from Cain & Boyarsky - coming October 25th

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by DosBuster, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Vulpes Educated

Vulpes
    Are the developers over at Obsidian creationists? It would certainly explain why their RPG formula hasn't evolved one bit since New Vegas

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • honk honk! x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Remember 2008 and when people were saying that Bethesda Fallouts will boost visibility of original Fallouts? Those people really existed. And I am upset just by remembering them.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Doesn't have to. :martini:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. jf8350143 Learned

jf8350143
    Nothing indicates BG 3 will be a big budget AAA title. It will be most likely a AA title just like Outer Worlds. They are doing the publish themselves, when did that ever happen to a AAA titles?

And Witcher 3 has already lost half of the RPG elements when comparing to Witcher 2 and 1.

Even the dialogue option they show in CP 2077 is pretty weak.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    except for the number of people working on it I guess

• Yes Yes x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    300 devs are working on BG3, its AAA alright. I was pointing out that "BG3 will be akshun arpeegee fo'sho" codex behavior, while nothing indicating towards it other than the game being AAA.

What did Witcher 3 lost other than the big branch in the middle of the story? And maybe alchemy system that I only used once to defeat the kraken(kayran?). They are pretty much the same games, one is bigger.

Can't judge CP's dialogue atm but custom character + possible pacifist playthrough means there'll be a lot of flexibility in between, incline as fuck.

^ Top  
  7. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    I mean, I’d bet good money BG3 will be an ARPG or something like DA:I that’s RTwP but feels like an ARPG. Of course, I’d love to be wrong.

I don’t know why anyone would bring up CDPR as an example of how RPG devs don’t need to water down their games to appeal to a mass audience. TW3 had an engaging story and some fun characters, but beyond that it was like every other open world action game. In fairness, CDPR has always been chasing a more casual audience.

Maybe Cyberpunk will end up having more RPG elements—it seems like things are still in flux—but Leonard explicitly said he doesn’t want to make their kind of game.

And why would he? It’s not his kind of game. The casual audience really dislikes being locked out of content. That means if he’s going to make a much bigger budget TOW2, he’ll need to eliminate much of the branching, the C&C and the reactivity. Which is the whole point of a Cainarsky game.

He’d also need to change the ratio of dialogue to killing people. The bigger the popamole RPG, the more time you spend in combat.

It’s the worst kind of hopeless optimism to pretend that market forces don’t exist. Sure, maybe there’s an executive at Microsoft who loves OG Fallout and wants to give Tim & Leonard $50 million to make whatever the hell they want. I guess it’s possible, but it seems pretty unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    I've never seen any player, casual or hardcore, disliking branching paths, they may not look for it specifically but they don't dislike it. Don't put the blame on players for developers' laziness.

Thing is we can tell if its going the wrong way during development in such cases, people would quit jobs etc. all that drama. f.i. they wouldn't put Tim & Leo leading TOW2 to begin with, thinking they will cave in with the outside influence and make a 20% rpg/80% shooter game.

Right now there is this optimism around MS with gamepass; they want it to succeed and they wanna look good by letting the devs unleash their creativity and whatnot. Devs should be smart about it and use it before things go south, whenever that will be.

^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    There are players who dislike branching paths - people who complain that they can only play the game once because reasons, and they want to see all the content, and the very thought of missing out makes them break out with brain measles. It is a retarded idea, and who knows whether this is 0.1% or 10% of the market, but it's out there.

• Despair Despair x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Dutch Ghost Learned

The Dutch Ghost
    I remember a lot about that period, especially the talk that "Fallout needed to change because it was too old fashioned", "Fallout is finally good thanks to Bethesda" and of course the insults that original Fallout fans lived in the past.

Of course I brought some of that up again when Fallout 76 was announced and the Fallout 3 and 4 fans were less than pleased.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What a rotten fate that series has.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Ah,to be honest here it did boost the viability of the old ones. Some people bought them and a few of them even like them .

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Laney's still seething over Boyarsky with her private account. A reply to her from a comrade:

"Ree, you should be lecturing the player instead of encouraging them to have goofy, apolitical fun. :argh:"

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. The Dutch Ghost Learned

The Dutch Ghost
    What? The SJWs are now jumping on this title now that it is getting public attention?
    Actually missed out om that one until now but it is not surprising seeing as they also went for Cyberpunk 2077.

I can't wait until this trend finally dies down.

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Sailor Woedica Learned The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Game*Spark has an interview with Dan McPhee about The Outer Worlds!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/builds-best-guide

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. McPlusle Learned

McPlusle
    Yes, thank you New Vegas for inventing low-INT dialogue. For fuck's sake, you can't trust any of these people to have played the first two Fallouts, can you?

• Rage Rage x 4
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    They really decided to go with this ???Strange Woman??? as the poster ???Girl??? for their game, huh.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Dishonoredbr Literate

Dishonoredbr
    ^ Top  
  20. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    They should have made that "need to eat/drink/sleep/perma-cNPC-death" into a separate "hardcore mode" instead of the hardest difficulty level :/

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    put it on easy, scrub

^ Top  
  22. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    I don't wanna deal with having to eat-drink etc. which I didn't find fun in NV if I decide to experience the hardest combat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Strange Fellow Magister Patron

Strange Fellow
    Tell me more

• M'lady M'lady x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. RepHope Learned

RepHope
    Who the fuck is Laney? It’s so tiresome having to keep track of these freaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. santino27 Arcane

santino27
    Lindsey Laney. Former Obsidian concept artist. Current butthurt twitter troll.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)