Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
What gameplay are you expecting?

I know what the gameplay is like in general. We’ve seen it.

I’d want details on how it works. Skills, stats, their effects on gameplay. The stuff that matters and tells me if there’s anything salvageable there, because some story choices just don’t cut it.

It's Fallout 3 gameplay. Probably not as bad because you need special talents to be as bad as Bethesda but that should be it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What gameplay are you expecting?

I know what the gameplay is like in general. We’ve seen it.

I’d want details on how it works. Skills, stats, their effects on gameplay. The stuff that matters and tells me if there’s anything salvageable there, because some story choices just don’t cut it.

This has definitely been covered in some of the interviews. Also, you can see parts of the stat sheet in the gameplay footage.

Six attributes, then six families of skills that contain multiple skills each. So the dialogue family has lying, persuasion, intimidation, and IIRC charm.

They’ve talked a lot about the leadership skills, which buff your companions and let you derive bonuses from their stats.

They’ve said that you can raise a whole family of skills at once, up to a certain level (50 maybe?). After that level, you only raise one skill at a time.

They’ve talked endlessly about the flaws system.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Six attributes, then six families of skills that contain multiple skills each. So the dialogue family has lying, persuasion, intimidation, and IIRC charm.

Lying , persuasin , intimidation , charm , dumb and there's some skill checks for engineering and other skills in the gameplay that they shown.

They talked a lot but they didn't show almost anything in real gameplay. But it's probably because they don't much to shown that we aren't know , it's Fallout New Vegas but better gameplay.
I think the only unique thing about the gameplay will be flaws and leadership skill.

But they HAVE to show us at least the god damn character creation screen before release tho...

Codex Year of the Donut
No, I think that's an error. One of the game's wikis has Berke erroneously listed as a companion. Den of Geek just copied that into their article without verifying.
He was the only one that looked interesting. Fucking hell, it's like they purposely made the companions as shit as possible.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Drink soda! Drink it up! Drink soda! The whole cup!

Drink it up! Chug it down! You'll feel better! Lose that frown!

Open your mouth! Open it wide! It's time to taste Uncle Tim's pride!

You liked it? Well lucky you! Uncle Leo's got a drink for you too!

Sponsored by Spacer's Guild of America

Sannom

Augur
This has definitely been covered in some of the interviews. Also, you can see parts of the stat sheet in the gameplay footage.

They’ve talked a lot about the leadership skills, which buff your companions and let you derive bonuses from their stats.

They’ve said that you can raise a whole family of skills at once, up to a certain level (50 maybe?). After that level, you only raise one skill at a time.

They’ve talked endlessly about the flaws system.
I think they've mentioned that their VATS-like system is also upgradeable to some extent.

The Real Fanboy

tumblr_ob3hj5Ku0J1vv1g70o1_540.gifv

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Might be possible that the Codex's whining at Tim a while back convinced him to scrap his shape plans.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds cool but PoEs also had all the skill checks and it didn't make games that impressive.

Yeah, but why? POE had a totally different design philosophy. For skill checks to matter, you need to bake them into the quests so that they give you different ways of accomplishing your objectives. and ideally also different outcomes.

The current Obsidian rank and file are capable of doing this. Deadfire is way, way better about including meaningful skill checks than POE was, including arguably the best stealth system I've seen in an isometric RPG. But, at the end of the day, it was still a Josh Sawyer game, and Sawyer believes that role playing is about character expression. That's how you get so many dialogue options and disposition checks that don't really do anything. There's rarely much payoff because for Sawyer it's not about the payoff, it's about having options. I don't know how he arrived at this dumbass philosophy, but I think he bears an enormous amount of blame.

Just look at Tyranny, which also gave you tons of dialogue options that let you say the effectively the same thing in a slightly different way. Yet when Tunon puts you on trial at the end, you get some payoff: a spy has been watching you all along and you need to account for your actions. I know Tyranny's skill checks suck because they're too low and the game doesn't force you to specialize, but that's a different problem.

Anyway, I doubt any of this will be an issue for TOW because Tim and Leonard have a different approach. When they give you the choice to antagonize someone, there's a very good chance that person will immediately try to kill you. These are the speech/stealth/slay guys. They're not going to make a Josh Sawyer game.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I mean, one can hope, but to give the player something, you also need to take something from them away. And modern design is afraid of this. Tim is a coder, Leonard idk. Sometimes I wonder if there was one unknown low paid low grade dude that actually made all these old RPGs great; since same people, but different results.

I mean, member Icewind Dale? It had unique Paladin dialogue in it. And IWD2 too.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
ISometimes I wonder if there was one unknown low paid low grade dude that actually made all these old RPGs great; since same people, but different results.

I mean, member Icewind Dale? It had unique Paladin dialogue in it. And IWD2 too.

Great things are often created by accident.

Some young dude burns the midnight oil and makes something that slips into the game since no-one is paying attention.

But now we don't have that. Everything is planned and controlled. And that young dude now has a family, a mortage and his health is failing him. His passion has become a job.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Sounds cool but PoEs also had all the skill checks and it didn't make games that impressive.

Yeah, but why? POE had a totally different design philosophy. For skill checks to matter, you need to bake them into the quests so that they give you different ways of accomplishing your objectives. and ideally also different outcomes.

The current Obsidian rank and file are capable of doing this. Deadfire is way, way better about including meaningful skill checks than POE was, including arguably the best stealth system I've seen in an isometric RPG. But, at the end of the day, it was still a Josh Sawyer game, and Sawyer believes that role playing is about character expression. That's how you get so many dialogue options and disposition checks that don't really do anything. There's rarely much payoff because for Sawyer it's not about the payoff, it's about having options. I don't know how he arrived at this dumbass philosophy, but I think he bears an enormous amount of blame.

Just look at Tyranny, which also gave you tons of dialogue options that let you say the effectively the same thing in a slightly different way. Yet when Tunon puts you on trial at the end, you get some payoff: a spy has been watching you all along and you need to account for your actions. I know Tyranny's skill checks suck because they're too low and the game doesn't force you to specialize, but that's a different problem.

Anyway, I doubt any of this will be an issue for TOW because Tim and Leonard have a different approach. When they give you the choice to antagonize someone, there's a very good chance that person will immediately try to kill you. These are the speech/stealth/slay guys. They're not going to make a Josh Sawyer game.

I actually half agree with Saywer's "character expression" idea, I like the fact that Deadfire gives me different ways to say the same thing and it has a personality meter to track it. And the idea that a skill check should not always be a "I win" button, some times it might actually make things worse.

But you do need some kind of way to blend the reputation and personality system into the game, instead of just a pure token.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you're the female equivalent of Randal.
or maybe you're Randal after a sex change

Randal was Sherry's old pet, they both claim to be women; one an older mother, the other a teenager.

Last edited:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
If Outer Worlds fails, what would that mean for the RPG market as a whole? I mean, we still get that Cyberpunk game, but that's not really where I would like the future of AAA RPG's to head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom