Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
Poor journo, has googled "Gilded age" when he first heard it but it was a too complex term for him to memorize. "Golden age".

The shooting seems like it will be really disappointing, not that much the controls, but the areas.

With these moronic trail effects on weapons, you can at least watch how the AI shoots at the sky twice before it shoots on target, lol.

? What do you mean by areas?

The gun feel at least got some praise. At least compared to Fallout.

The Real Fanboy
The characters lewk even cooler!!!

Parvati with that lit-from-within skin glow up! Also her eyebrows are everything.

xuoGkpK.png
TVwrnY3.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I mean let's remember Deus Ex' environments, and let's compare them to what we see here. Maybe it's still too early to criticize, but from all I've seen so far, the shooting combat will be rather uninspired.

Another thing... This kind of lighting belongs in 2009 at the latest:
6uH5PmE.png

For all the "fashionable bashing" of New Vegas, which everyone suddenly remembered when they needed to extoll another game's virtues, at least you could install ENB on top of it. Here we will be stuck with this shit for a good amount of time.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Too many spoilers in there.

Want to experience the game fresh. Cant wait to give Epic Store or whomever my money to play this!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy FUCK. There are more previews here than when the game was announced and E3. WAY more actually. Wouldn't surprise me if the Codex could have gotten a preview too, lol.

I haven't watched anything yet, but one notable thing - no new companions have been revealed. Although this is the first time we've seen more than a glimpse of Parvati, so that's something.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I mean let's remember Deus Ex' environments, and let's compare them to what we see here. Maybe it's still too early to criticize, but from all I've seen so far, the shooting combat will be rather uninspired.

Another thing... This kind of lighting belongs in 2009 at the latest:
6uH5PmE.png

For all the "fashionable bashing" of New Vegas, which everyone suddenly remembered when they needed to extoll another game's virtues, at least you could install ENB on top of it. Here we will be stuck with this shit for a good amount of time.
It looks really bad. The levels look like linear corridors,and i am talking about the outside ones. Also they give me the no man's sky feel. The same generic garbage. The inside levels look like a unity asset dump type of game. As a whole the colour palette is a wrong in my opinion. As a whole it feels like poor man's New Vegas.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
New Vegas as a game looks very generic and isn't a looker. Is this supposed to be criticism that would put you off from the game?

I guess it's for a lot of people. I'm already saw/read people saying that this game looks like a 2007 game , a PS2 game , that the textures looks like somethin from a dated mod from Morrowind , etc.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
New Vegas as a game looks very generic and isn't a looker. Is this supposed to be criticism that would put you off from the game?
Is this the latest train of thought/argumentative technique in the fat acceptance movement?

Something like "you are beautiful the way you are", but a little more masked behind more complex syntax?

Delterius

Arcane
Is this the latest train of thought/argumentative technique in the fat acceptance movement?
no but its a standard move by the 'this game is pretty bad but its actually a rough gem' traditions of the codex

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, went through a lot of it, coming away with mixed (but overall decent I think?) confused feelings.
I'm going to play it anyway, so those feelings will have to be sorted out then. And to be fair, Monarch was always hinted at to be the more combat heavy side of the game.

The Real Fanboy
The Outer Worlds style is so fierce it's like the world has the coolest Instagram filter over everything!

It's so like the USS Callister episode of Black Mirror too which I wonder if it was an inspiration since it gives the game such a sci-fi lewk:

3gKQBTs.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
no but its a standard move by the 'this game is pretty bad but its actually a rough gem' traditions of the codex
So the one used to defend new Vegas and nearly every obsidian game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm 20 mins into the Game Informer stream. This appears to be one of those games where stealth is used on "if you are feeling like it, but you can always massacre everybody" basis. Before someone with nonexistent standards for games asks me with genuine astonishment what did I expect - difficulty to the combat that makes stealth necessary.

Delterius

Arcane
So the one used to defend new Vegas and nearly every obsidian game.
+M not just obsidian games :M

AwesomeButton

Patron
You can see how the Fallout edge has worn off:

Nyoka meets you and 10 minutes later you kill her best buddy (in her words, "the only person I trusted"). The reactivity you get: a minor reprimand. She stays with you.

EDIT: Ooh, waitwaitwait! Nyoka was "born into a security detail", because obviously she is a strong independent woman. So the red hair can be explained both as evidence of strength and independence, and as using camo colors that suit the local environment.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not really,it looked better than this plastic thing. It felt real,it had mostly desert,but it also had its other bioms in places that made sense. The colour palette was a lot better chosen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom