Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
Is this related to the concept of the "Leader" character build described in previous previews?

I don't get what that Leader thing means. Is it a type of build that uses companions' stats for skillschecks(possibly at the cost of your own skillpoints)?

https://www.rpgsite.net/preview/806...breaking-new-ground-at-the-edge-of-the-galaxy

In order to drive home the message that companions were set out as a design focal point upon The Outer World's inception, Tim elaborated on a unique playstyle titled "Leader" to accompany the more standard trio of "Combat", "Stealth", and "Dialogue". A Leader character is one that's clearly differentiated based on the companions he chooses to bring with them but makes concessions to their own individual abilities. Whichever team members they decide to ally with can support and the player's skill levels with their own, and do such to a greater extent depending on how good a Leader the player is.

In this way, a Leader can potentially be highly skilled in multiple ways -- depending on which party members they bring along for the ride.

Combat and Stealth styled characters are pretty self-explanatory, while Dialogue style gameplay consists of trying to avoid physical conflict through lies or intimidation or even by debuffing enemy attributes with certain conversation choices before engaging in an unavoidable combat situation.

While these four branches of play were initially described as general playstyles, certain aspects of each style are actually hardcoded into The Outer World's skill system, at least to a degree. For instance, the Leader style character will have access to two skills, Inspiration and Determination, which increase your allied companions combat effectiveness and resilience to damage respectively.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/07/the-outer-worlds-is-bringing-fun-back-to-science-fiction

And Obsidian likes companions so much it has included them in a fourth pillar of the gameplay: Leader. Now, instead of going the combat route, the dialog path, or the stealthy option, you can be a leader and build into buffing up your companions. The leader skill splits between inspiration and determination – inspiration increases your companions’ damage and determination allows them to take less damage.
How is this unique? Plenty of RPGs have done this in the past. This is a boring passive play style that is either completely overpowered or not worth anyone's time.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Heah you'd think that Leader would be covered by a Talker in the Sneaker, Talker, Murderhobo triad of playstyles.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The concept of a character build that synergizes with companions is certainly not unique, but the way it's formalized here as a full-fledged "fourth pillar of gameplay" is interesting.

In general, taking traditional RPG concepts and pushing them further is a thing Codexers tend to appreciate. Eg, skill checks are nothing new but look what Age of Decadence does with them.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
How would you exploit it? If they go down, they won't be able help you no mo' till combat ends.

I don't know yet. How does companion "incapacitation" work in this game?

If you can't medicate them, you can probably run away an wait for the companion to un-KO.

I bet they won't get up until combat ends, in other words YOU will have to kill the enemy somehow and then they'll get up, similar to Dragon Age. Though there might be another way to revive them while still in combat, e.g. heal them with a stimpak etc. Or perhaps they can use stimpaks etc. if you have some in your inventory.

Quillon

Arcane
If you can't medicate them, you can probably run away an wait for the companion to un-KO.

Didn't see this.

Even if you can medicate them but choose not to and run away they should be ok/teleported near you maybe, less likely perma death... too soon to worry about it imo.

skill checks are nothing new but look what Age of Decadence does with them.

What does it do with them?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What does it do with them?

Basically, it commits to them. Makes them a frequent, core element of gameplay rather than a gimmick. (It also makes them extremely challenging, which this game won't do with whatever it's doing, but it's a close enough analogy.)

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Tim & Leonard: "Sorry grognards, Fallout was a fluke and we were never all that great, so we're listening to all these people at Obsidian now."

I disagree about them never being all that great, but early indications show they have certainly lost some mojo.

The "Dumb" options in the dialogues, for instance. Knee-jerk reaction is that it's great -- harkens back to Fallout, Arcanum! Me Torr! Until you realize it's actually terrible this time precisely because they are optional. Dumb dialogues in those games are awesome because that they are forced on the player during the entire play-through. Making them optional destroys the immersion factor and turns the idea into a running joke.

Okay, let's say they can't do it the old way this time around. Let's say it would have brought too much of a VO burden on Obsidian (because just about every NPC would have to have multiple responses re-recorded). Well then, why not have specific dialogue moments where [Dumb] is the only option? Gray out more reasonable responses for additional comedic effect.

Instead, it looks like they included the options for shits and giggles, without an appreciation of what made it so cool at the time. Rather apropos, actually -- they have themselves grown dumber.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well then, why not have specific dialogue moments where [Dumb] is the only option?

One such moment can be seen in the gameplay video.

In at least some cases, the dumb dialogue options replace non-dumb versions, so they're not merely extra flavor options.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Well then, why not have specific dialogue moments where [Dumb] is the only option?

One such moment can be seen in the gameplay video.

In at least some cases, the dumb dialogue options replace non-dumb versions, so they're not merely extra flavor options.

Okay, that's better, and my bad. I must have overlooked it. Still, the optionality sucks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Exactly that. There are lots of problems with the quest and the whole game in general in terms of pure narrative design principles (and what was his role if not that). No agency, pre-defined personality with Fallout 4 dialog options, too often the game tells you how you HAVE to feel about certain situations.

To choice to make an action adventure with character building may have been out of his hands (or something he felt they couldn't do properly) :M

Cainarsky have a proven record; they're talented, funny guys.

Didn't show in the trailer or the gameplay video.

Wes: Is there a pacifist route through the game? Is it possible to get through it without shooting anybody?

Leonard: We... don't know yet.

Tim: If there is, it's going to be very hard.

That answers my question about how combat-heavy the endgame will be.

A good example of what I tell people, our melee just feels really good. We have good heft, good swing, good inertia, good knockback on people. Good impact when you hit them.
:hmmm: This is what Tim actually believes.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wes: Is there a pacifist route through the game? Is it possible to get through it without shooting anybody?

Leonard: We... don't know yet.

Tim: If there is, it's going to be very hard.

That answers my question about how combat-heavy the endgame will be.

I can't see how you'd make a squad based FPS not involve combat. You pacify people while the other dudes sit and watch?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, I thought squad mates were mandatory in this -- didn't know you could forego them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Be quiet, Tiffany. Unless you have a leaked build of the game in your possession, you don't actually know what the combat is going to feel like.
They demonstrated melee in the gameplay video. "good heft, good swing, good inertia, good knockback on people. Good impact when you hit them," none of that was applicable. It looked like Bethout melee combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom