Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

imweasel

The NPCs in The Outer Worlds will be like:

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the game actually does turn out to be a postmodern shitfestival full of identity politics and other regressive garbage.... But look at it positively, at least the #OuterWorldsGate thread will be glorious. :D

laclongquan

Arcane
The problem with LGBT writers these days is their attentionwhoreness, their constant seeking for assurance that yes, people are paying attention to them, yes even with their LGBTBBQ whatever. So they forget entirely about professionalism or goals.

It's so tiresome people dont really want to bother with their writings any more. And getting people to read their writings in the first place is hard enough.

Amateur~

Codex Year of the Donut
The NPCs in The Outer Worlds will be like:

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the game actually does turn out to be a postmodern shitfestival full of identity politics and other regressive garbage.... But look at it positively, at least the #OuterWorldsGate thread will be glorious. :D

It's so strange seeing people do these sorts of skits realizing they're insane now
hollyweird brainwashing

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And nowwwwwww for something a bit more on-topic. Kate "anything for a" Dollarhyde has a reddit account, and here's something she said a couple of days ago https://www.reddit.com/user/kdollarhyde

kdollarhyde commented on Serious question... why is there so much lesbian representation but so little about gay men?

I'm sorry you're being downvoted. I think you have a valid point, and this is something I will work to rectify in my future writing. I know it's not always easy to speak up, and I appreciate you doing so.

I'm asexual, a frequently misunderstood and marginalized identity.
Asexual representation is absolutely another thing we can do better. Like I told OP, this is something I will think about and try to rectify in my own writing.

No doubt big bear Tim will put a rubberstamp on all these loud and proud gay and ace men she wants to include. The Outer Worlds is going to look like a pride parade by the time they're through.

By the way, it's "I appreciate your doing so," Ms. Writer.

I wish these deep and thoughtful writers could come up with a better reason to approach gay relationships in RPG's other than "Some whiney fag on the internet begged me for it".
The virtue signalling and pandering is so insulting - I'd be so depressed if the subjects I wanted tackled in games were relegated to the "filled the quota" category of this persons quest design log.

Why don't you actually write a meaningful relationship that you as a writer actually want to tackle, instead of just hitting all the check boxes..

Whatever.. As long as I can romance my spaceship..

EDIT:

I think Tim actually is a better writer than he thinks he is.. because he doesn't think of himself as a prestigious writer..

He's got such an edgy humor too.

For example - almost every game he's made has had some kind of brothel quest line in it.. (Which he gleefully talks about in one of his speeches) including temple - although the publisher qq'd and had it cut.. So I do unironically trust him - but man Obsidian is looking pretty blue haired lately.. it's kinda sad.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
"i need you to rescue my husband from the alien bandits! yeah thats right im a male npc and im asking for you to save my HUSBAND. is that a problem?"

"im a female npc on this outer world outpost and i sure miss my WIFE who is at home with our kid. yeah im a female and i have a WIFE."

some leaked dialogue from the outer worlds

To save space they should be part of the same quest like in BL2

Terenty

Liturgist
For some strange reason the main gay person on their team never felt the urge to represent himself in any of his games, but now every she/her purple hair feels its her duty to fight the good fight and fill the quota, any artistic merit be damned

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For some strange reason the main gay person on their team never felt the urge to represent himself in any of his games, but now every she/her purple hair feels its her duty to fight the good fight and fill the quota, any artistic merit be damned
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baizuo
those who are hypocritically "obsessed with political correctness" in order to "satisfy their own feeling of moral superiority" motivated from an "ignorant and arrogant" Western-centric worldview

that said, i am still pro lgbt, but there is always the case of taking things too far and create monster out of a good idea.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Temple of Elemental Evil can end with the main character being gay married to one of the companions, and Tim was also the one who wanted to include gay marriage in Fallout 2.

Terenty

Liturgist
Temple of Elemental Evil can end with the main character being gay married to one of the companions, and Tim was also the one who wanted to include gay marriage in Fallout 2.

His magnum opus Arcanum didnt have any of those as far as i know?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I am sorry Roguey but who is Kate and why should we care about a twobit supposedly-writer LGBT-bias attention seeker?
https://twitter.com/keightdee
Narrative Designer, The Outer Worlds
I wonder if she has daddy issues

iis8gZbM_400x400.jpg

That's a yes for daddy issues.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
There's nothing wrong with a game having gay marriage or gay characters; it's wrong when it's forced upon you in some way. None of the exampls of "Gay stuff" in the games Tim worked on previously were forced upon player's attention. Arcade Gannon was a flaming queer but we all hated him because he was dry and boring, not because he was a fag ;)

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
There's nothing wrong with a game having gay marriage or gay characters; it's wrong when it's forced upon you in some way. None of the exampls of "Gay stuff" in the games Tim worked on previously were forced upon player's attention. Arcade Gannon was a flaming queer but we all hated him because he was dry and boring, not because he was a fag ;)

"It's ok to be gay as long as you are not gay"

Extremely good argument

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
When you force something complicated like a video game to contort to something simple like gay stuff then the game loses complexity and becomes shit. Game devs should be thinking about higher plane things, like game design, and not waste the player's time on regressive stuff like whether that NPC you're talking to wants to fuck you or not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chronicle of a Codex RPG thread:

1) Somebody posts a tweet by a female dev
2) 4-5 pages of the same culture war babble we've been talking about since 2014
3) Conversation starts running out of steam, degenerates into weird nonsense and NSFW images
4) Infinitron ends up retardoing 2-3 pages, thread cools down for about 48 hours
5) Goto 1

Last edited:

FreeKaner

When you force something complicated like a video game to contort to something simple like gay stuff then the game loses complexity and becomes shit. Game devs should be thinking about higher plane things, like game design, and not waste the player's time on regressive stuff like whether that NPC you're talking to wants to fuck you or not.

If we accept this argument, then orientation of the NPCs don't matter at all, might as well make them all gay.

Chronicle of a Codex thread for a promising new RPG:

1) Somebody posts a tweet by a female dev
2) 4-5 pages of the same culture war babble people have been talking about since 2014
3) Conversation starts running out of steam, degenerates into weird nonsense and NSFW images
4) Infinitron ends up retardoing 2-3 pages, thread cools down for about 48 hours
5) Goto 1

You moved my completely on topic post about Outerlands here:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...loodlines-vs-fo1-2.125300/page-3#post-5931729

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Can't "make them all gay" because hardly anyone is gay in real life. It's like when people go "it's just fiction they can do whatever!!!". No, people can't all suddenly fly for no reason and no, you can't "make everyone gay" for no reason. It's not normal.

FreeKaner

Can't "make them all gay" because hardly anyone is gay in real life. It's like when people go "it's just fiction they can do whatever!!!". No, people can't all suddenly fly for no reason and no, you can't "make everyone gay" for no reason. It's not normal.

In real life people hit on each other and have opinions about whether they want to fuck the person they are talking to or not. Obviously, we are talking about video games and video game design. Maybe in Outerlands there is state enforced homosexuality and everyone is gay, since there is no romance it shouldn't matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom