Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Pretty sure they'd keep a fresh new IP reserved for E3 2019.
Implying Microsoft doesn't want to distance itself from E3 the same way Avellone wants from Sawyer...

Flou

Arbiter
There's like a ton (5 or 6) of new job openings at Obsidian. Either bunch of people left or they got bought.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There's like a ton (5 or 6) of new job openings at Obsidian. Either bunch of people left or they got bought.
Maybe they left because they got bought? I believe that a decent amount of devs there work for the RPG experience are have not much interest in the big AAA conveyor production cycles.

Flou

Arbiter
Maybe they left because they got bought? I believe that a decent amount of devs there work for the RPG experience are have not much interest in the big AAA conveyor production cycles.

It's a possibility. Or Feargus has promoted his 12 year old to head the programming department. Don't know if hitting a certain milestone with Project Indiana would free them the cash to hire people needed to finish the project.

Latelistener

Arcane
There's like a ton (5 or 6) of new job openings at Obsidian.
I'd say it's quite normal, just a bunch of programmers.

Senior Environment Artist
UX Designer
Tools Programmer
User Interface Programmer
Gameplay Programmer
Build Engineer
Network Programmer
Graphics Programmer
Engine Programmer

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
thinking.png
Maybe they are making a nu engine. You wouldn't need that many programmers late in game development.

RepHope

Savant
I thought it was the opposite, the people working at Obsidian WANT to make AAA RPGs, they just don’t have the money/talent to do so.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I thought it was the opposite, the people working at Obsidian WANT to make AAA RPGs, they just don’t have the money/talent to do so.
From what i got the owners want to make a AAA game get famous. While the devs just want to work/make rpgs. They could pretty easy find a better paying job in the field. Obsidain was once famous for good writing and interesting rpgs.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why a Network Programmer? Is this a multiplayer game?

I don't think those positions for this project, engine and network programmers are the types of guys you take on to build the foundation of a new game. Some online thing in the pipeline for after Indiana, maybe Microsoft driven?

Flou

Arbiter
Called it. Though to be fair, some of those new positions could be for some project the MS deal allows them to start working on.

geno

Savant
How bad are exoactations now with the Micrsoft thing? Since it already has partnered with Private Division, how much can affect this to the project?

Latelistener

Arcane
How bad are exoactations now with the Micrsoft thing? Since it already has partnered with Private Division, how much can affect this to the project?
If MS hadn't bought it, it may be close to completion. If they did, that's a different story.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

They would still have obligations to previous partners--ownership doesn't change that. Now, Microsoft could probably afford to pay to cancel any contract if they really wanted to, but I would imagine the game will still get finished since it'd be stupid to throw out all that work for no reason.

When Microsoft has bought companies in the past they still had them finish up the games they were working on--it's cheaper than starting over from scratch, plus it's faster than an entire new project, meaning it's the fastest and easiest way to start recouping the investment.

Any potential mac and linux ports might be DOA, but if they were specified by PD then they might not be

Flou

Arbiter
Few updates on who is working on this game:

Matthew Lowe - Technical Artist. Was hired back in June this year. Haven't seen his name on any of the Deadfire DLCs so that's leaves Indiana as the only? option. Worked previously on Call of Duty WWII.

Andrew Bosold - Senior Environment Artist. Joined in September, so again sounds like Indiana hiring, unless there's something else they are making. Has worked on Halo 4&5 and at Wargaming Seattle.

Jerrick Flores - Technical Audio Designer. Joined last month. Has previously worked on God of War.

Archye Valdes - 3d Animator. Has been with the company since May'17. Did not work on Deadfire, so Indiana it is.

Phillip Chiu - Software Engineer. Joined last month, which makes is reasonable to assume that's it's Indiana, especially since he has previous experience with UE4.

Steven Moret - Programmer. Ex-Troika guy and former Carbine Studios guy. Joined in Jan'17. Did Tools Programming on Deadfire. Did not work on DLCs afaik, so got most likely moved on Indiana.

Glenn Lattiere - UI Designer. Working on unannounced game. Joined in Nov'17.

Christopher J Logan - Senior Lighting Artist. Joined June of this year. Has previously worked on RDR2, GTA5 and Angry Birds movie. Most likely the guy that got hired when they were looking for a lighting artist in summer/spring for Indiana.

Marc Soskin - Level Designer. Hired in March'18. Did not work on Deadfire or the DLCs, so Indiana.

Jerad Dunn - Senior Software Engineer (AI/Gameplay). Joined in June, has worked on 6 different Madden games before. Indiana, since don't recall seeing his name on Deadfire DLCs.

Aldo Vicente - 3D Character Artist. Joined in June'17. Again, not credited for Deadfire, so Indiana.

(I'll update the original list someday)

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Few updates on who is working on this game:

Christopher J Logan - Senior Lighting Artist. Joined June of this year. Has previously worked on RDR2, GTA5 and Angry Birds movie. Most likely the guy that got hired when they were looking for a lighting artist in summer/spring for Indiana.

This is some fancy dude, and to think he joined them before the acquisition is kind of surprising

Flou

Arbiter
Again, not credited for Deadfire, so Indiana.
At this point, are we 100% sure that there is no Mississippi?

If they managed to find a publisher for such game before the Microsoft deal, possible. If not, seems highly unlikely with the Deadfire sales numbers. It usually takes them some time to hand out project a name. Even Parker is not that fast, if anything isn't he supposed to be slow? ;)

Big Wrangle

An Xbox-only Star Wars RPG can definitely help Microsoft's console bizz.

Latelistener

Arcane
Again, not credited for Deadfire, so Indiana.
At this point, are we 100% sure that there is no Mississippi?
If they managed to find a publisher for such game before the Microsoft deal, possible. If not, seems highly unlikely with the Deadfire sales numbers. It usually takes them some time to hand out project a name. Even Parker is not that fast, if anything isn't he supposed to be slow? ;)
Maybe they were working with MS for the past 6-12 months on a new pitch. I know it's somewhat far-fetched, but they have a lot of people in the studio and they have to work on something other than Indiana, as it has enough people already.

Plus, as you've noticed they're hiring a bunch of programmers, most likely to lay a foundation for a new game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom