Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
They don't know how to write a character who is not themselves. Some writers.
:deathclaw:
How? That is not very hard,all you need is some basic life experience. You could always just write a character that you hate.

Life experience, films, television, literature (ok this is pushing it)... That's how a lot of characters happen. Hell, it is not uncommon for people to say "think of this character as [example]", or for actors to say "I modelled my character after [actor] in [film]".

Duraframe300

Arcane
New Gameplay tomorrow btw.

The Outer Worlds reunites the creative minds of Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, bringing them together with team members they’ve worked with over their expansive careers. It also re-associates Obsidian Entertainment with a style of game that its fans have wanted for years. Join Co-Game Directors, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky (Fallout, Vampire: The Masquerade), Megan Starks (Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire), and Charles Staples (Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth) as they talk about their careers and show off all new gameplay for The Outer Worlds.

Last edited:

jewboy

Arbiter
If you don't have quests you don't need quest markers. Quests are a dumb idea which should be abandoned. If you have a compelling, suspenseful story you don't need any quests. No need to get involved with Fedex delivering or any other makework schemes. Playing a computer game should not have any of the drudgery we must endure as a way to survive in the real world.

Xeon

Augur
Kenshi has missions, you can do bounties or help some of the factions in order to ally them or something iirc.

Xeon

Augur
Wonder if by visiting the past means they will talk about Fallouts and other Obsidian older games or something.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you don't have quests you don't need quest markers. Quests are a dumb idea which should be abandoned. If you have a compelling, suspenseful story you don't need any quests. No need to get involved with Fedex delivering or any other makework schemes. Playing a computer game should not have any of the drudgery we must endure as a way to survive in the real world.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word "quest". Anything that has you doing a thing is a quest, in RPG terms.

If you don't have things to do in a game, there's not much of a game.

Ok, there are roguelikes and other games that rely on sandboxy and/or procedural gameplay but they get old after some time because there isn't as much hand-placed content, just player-set goals.

But most games of most genres have quests in some way or another. Yes, often quests boil down to "kill that dude" or "fetch that item", but "find a way around the blocked-off passage", "find out who murdered Lord X", "find incriminating evidence to blackmail Lady V with", "figure out how to open the dungeon doors", "put an end to the conflict between factions A and B" are all quests, too.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if the devs will make any comment about the Epic deal. If there's a Q&A session then I think it's a guaranteed first question.

Deleted Member 16721

If they nail the humor like say, Anachronox, this game is going to be much better than I even anticipated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom