Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At the recode conference in 2017, Tim explained the great, good, okay, bad attribute thing. It’s a 1-4 system. Good is 3. So with the 3 INT check, you pass with good or great and you fail with bad or okay.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
At the recode conference in 2017, Tim explained the great, good, okay, bad attribute thing. It’s a 1-4 system. Good is 3. So with the 3 INT check, you pass with good or great and you fail with bad or okay.
That system is Bad®. Why it then in dialogue just does not say good instead of 3? Why go for hybrid, mixed and more confusing system if your goal is to dumb down, I mean make things more clear

Just keep Tim's hands off UI design and delivery pizza boy

Deleted Member 16721

Ooh, mentions are marked on the map. That means someone tells you a rumor about such and such, where it's located, what they do there, etc., and it marks a question mark on the map. That is pure incline. Small detail but a nice one.

Quillon

Arcane

Wasn't it 1-5 system? Yucky, Ok, Good, Great, Legendary.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
So it's not guaranteed yet but it looks like a a pacifist playthrough is possible. That's really good news.

Trashos

Arcane

Watched it. Decent presentation. My comments:

- As talked about above ITT, the hybrid character sheet doesn't seem to make sense.
- Loved the weird weapons they showed.
- Liked the humor.
- Too much color emanating from energy weapons. Painful to the eye.
- Too much isn't, it'd, ain't, 'll. It does not matter if it is realistic or not, it is painful to read. Tone it down a bit. Generally speaking, the writing and the spoken word do not have to match 100%.
- The dude companion looks OK. The female companion, again, looks awful. This company has lost its ability to create any pretty female companions. Do they hate women or what? Just model Starks in, ffs.

Quillon

Arcane
- Too much color emanating from energy weapons. Painful to the eye.

Too much or rather too heavy coloring on everything imo, if it makes sense, feels heavy on my eyes. Previously it looked better in day time tho. Also too blurry, everything loses massive resolution outside of dialogue.

And also NPCs look transparent outside of dialogue, background shows through them...

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
fUf2pfU.png

Just 'Good' and a triangle?

>100kg

GET FUCKED AMERIFAGS

EMBRACE THE METRIC SYSTEM
We are a metric system country.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/204
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/205b

Hellion

Arcane
The super-bright blue-yellow-green neon lighting that seems to color everything when they're wandering around the streets seems a bit "off" for some reason, like it did in the outdoors areas of the announcement trailer. At times it's like there's a filter on the screen that colors everything in a blue-ish or yellow-ish tint. Indoors lighting seems ok.

I also don't see any character or objects shadows when they're outdoors, and at one moment during the Actors quest it seems like light is shining out of one of your companions' mouth when he's speaking. But I guess stuff like that will be remedied in the final version. Hopefully.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I have a bigger question.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THE TRIANGLE EVEN MEAN?
I don't think that green triangle is meant to be one of the famous geometric shapes from character creation. It's just a symbol for "good" - a green arrow pointing up. If it was "bad" it would be a red arrow pointing down.

My guess: the green "up" triangle there means that some gear / consumable has boosted the stat above its normal level. It would be redundant to have a triangle represent what "good" means.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Damn that demo really killed the hype for me. Shitty humor, colorful rays everywhere even for basic bullets, exteriors feel like interiors, bland and lifeless environments, non-reactive NPCs, quest markers...

Systems and C&C might be ok, but I'm not really excited anymore. Won't be hard to wait for the GOG release and discount.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shaping up to be a slightly better written Mass Effect. Unless I see more from the combat it looks like something you tolerate to shuffle from one dialogue vignette to the next.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That wasn't a very good presentation. Makes it seem unfinished and unpolished.

It makes no sense to demo such a voice acting-heavy game when voices haven't been recorded yet. The way Megan Starks gigglingly describes what the dialogue options say, it feels like an internal demo to showcase the end of a sprint, where everyone ignores the lack of voices and all the placeholder UI and gives a rounding applause with calmness since the game is not out for over a year. Meanwhile in the real world, The Outer Worlds is scheduled to come out within 9 months. The awkward silence isn't making the game justice at all and is just poor marketing.

The reason the game got such a positive response from Fallout 76 players is because it has colorful, living NPC's where FO76 had none. The demo should have cashed in on that, showing off a fully voiced quest where you hear the comedic panic in the actor's voice when you get ready to start combat.

I also don't understand why they spent a third of the demo slaughtering NPC's. While I love the fact that you can kill everyone, is that really what players are interested in? They should have ended the demo with 30 seconds of senseless slaughter, with Tim saying "Oh and if you want to, you can kill anyone in this game". That would have been a cherry on the top. It's especially questionable to show so much city slaughter when the combat and NPC's are all so clunky. Tim said it himself, it's not gonna be as good as Call of Duty. Show another quest with choices, that's what you're good at.

People sit down with dead, emotionless stares when there's a battle going on 20 meters away. Even when attacked they seem severly handicapped, unable to do more than to jog 5 meters and then cower in place. The effect of the Mandibular Re-arranger is fun but looks unpolished, and doesn't really have any gameplay ramifications, unlike turning yourself into a coffee cup in Prey. Definitely not important or noteworthy enough to dedicate so much time to it.

There's also unfortunate bugs on display - namely the guard materializing out of thin air and Felix cinematically kicking the bar counter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom