Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
they’ve released one other game since Tyranny (have you played Deadfire yet?), so it’s a little premature to say anything has gone in or out of style. If there are no Monty Python references in Deadfire—not sure if that’s even the case—it’s probably because Sawyer is fucking sick of reading them.
It's not just Obsidian, it's a personal observation. The internet and nerd culture in general used to be full of Python references.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they’ve released one other game since Tyranny (have you played Deadfire yet?), so it’s a little premature to say anything has gone in or out of style. If there are no Monty Python references in Deadfire—not sure if that’s even the case—it’s probably because Sawyer is fucking sick of reading them.
It's not just Obsidian, it's a personal observation. The internet and nerd culture in general used to be full of Python references.

Yeah, it got stale like twenty years ago. Doubt it’s a generational thing—more like this stuff got overused and became played out. There’s only so many times you can hear someone recite the entire script of Holy Grail or Life of Brian before it stops being funny and starts being insanely irritating.

Peak Python was probably 2005 when Eric Idle’s Spamalot musical won a bunch of Tony awards and the universe said, “enough!”

crakkie

Arcane
Brazil was written by Tom Stoppard and has his plucky dialog, exaggerated characterization, earnest absurdity, etc. fwiw, it doesn’t much resemble Monty Python’s humor or writing. Still, I don’t know how well an imitation of that would be received nowadays, whether Boyarsky is looking at the writing (Stoppard) or the dystopian bureaucracy (Gilliam) for inspiration.

I do know I would rather claw my eyes out than watch Shakespeare in Love again.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Brazil was written by Tom Stoppard and has his plucky dialog, exaggerated characterization, earnest absurdity, etc. fwiw, it doesn’t much resemble Monty Python’s humor or writing.
:hmmm:

That sequence in the climax (man in a goofy mask sees that the guy he's about to torture is his friend and has a comically exaggerated angry reaction to it) could be a Python sketch.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Tom Stoppard, Terry Gilliam, and Charles McKeown are all credited as the writers of Brazil, which is a classic film.

tumblr_let5asucR91qe0eclo1_r5_500.gif

:ibelieveincleve:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't know why it's all that relevant, honestly. Boyarsky could have everyone watch Brazil a thousand times, but the studio doesn't have anything close to a Stoppard on staff, so you're either getting a shit imitation or just a talking point for internet interview fodder.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know why it's all that relevant, honestly. Boyarsky could have everyone watch Brazil a thousand times, but the studio doesn't have anything close to a Stoppard on staff, so you're either getting a shit imitation or just a talking point for internet interview fodder.

No studio has anyone close to Tom Stoppard on staff. So what? This is how all artists (loosely defined) should operate. It’s not a bad idea to draw inspiration from artists who are, you know, better than you.

Edit: and yes, one Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are dead makes up for a thousand Shakespeare in Loves

Trashos

Arcane
Brazil was written by Tom Stoppard and has his plucky dialog, exaggerated characterization, earnest absurdity, etc. fwiw, it doesn’t much resemble Monty Python’s humor or writing.
:hmmm:

That sequence in the climax (man in a goofy mask sees that the guy he's about to torture is his friend and has a comically exaggerated angry reaction to it) could be a Python sketch.

Also, the scene where people go on eating while bombs explode all around them is quite Pythonesque. (haven't seen the film for over a decade, so take that as you will)

Eh, they may fuck it up, but still it is the best chance we 've got. RPGs often take inspiration form books/movies. I 'd rather they are good books/movies.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Eh, they may fuck it up, but still it is the best chance we 've got. RPGs often take inspiration form books/movies. I 'd rather they are good books/movies.

No studio has anyone close to Tom Stoppard on staff. So what? This is how all artists (loosely defined) should operate. It’s not a bad idea to draw inspiration from artists who are, you know, better than you.

Edit: and yes, one Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are dead makes up for a thousand Shakespeare in Loves

My point is that the quality of the source they're trying to take inspiration from is largely irrelevant given the (lack of) talent involved. 'I watched Citizen Kane seventeen times before I began work on my own masterpiece', proudly proclaimed the diaper-clad man scribbling storyboards on a wall with his own feces.

But sure... maybe the combination of a good source of inspiration and Boyarksy riding herd on his writing staff will result in something elevated beyond merely serviceable. We can hope. God knows the bar has been set pretty low.

(Regardless, I agree that R&G are Dead was quite good. The movie, much less so.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My point is that the quality of the source they're trying to take inspiration from is largely irrelevant given the (lack of) talent involved. 'I watched Citizen Kane seventeen times before I began work on my own masterpiece', proudly proclaimed the diaper-clad man scribbling storyboards on a wall with his own feces.
Brazil's certainly a more :obviously: story to ape from than her usual sources.

I really like the dark humor in many of the Orcs' lines in the Lord of the Rings movies. I also like to think a bit about some different bad guy groups like the Governor or the people running Terminus in The Walking Dead, the raiders in Fallout 3, the reavers in Firefly, US prohibition-era gangsters, or hired gun type characters (whether it be a spy like Brock Samson from the Venture Bros or a sellsword like Bronn from Game of Thrones).

Wunderbar

Arcane
I really like the dark humor in many of the Orcs' lines in the Lord of the Rings movies. I also like to think a bit about some different bad guy groups like the Governor or the people running Terminus in The Walking Dead, the raiders in Fallout 3, the reavers in Firefly, US prohibition-era gangsters, or hired gun type characters (whether it be a spy like Brock Samson from the Venture Bros or a sellsword like Bronn from Game of Thrones).
nuke2.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
KOTOR 2 (Chris Avellone, Ferret Baudoin, Michael Chu, Tony Evans, Dave Maldonado); MOTB (George Ziets); New Vegas (John Gonzalez, Chris Avellone, Eric Fenstermaker, Travis Stout and various others) or even "Fallout 2" writing this won't be. Not even Alpha Protocol (Chris Avellone, Matt MacLean, Brian Mitsoda, Travis Stout) or South Park: The Stick of Truth (Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Eric Fenstermaker).
Look at all those males. I sense a pattern here. :P

Yosharian

Arcane

Imagine unironically writing this

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Imagine unironically writing this
The structure reminds me of that Russian writers copypasta.

Trashos

Arcane
KOTOR 2 (Chris Avellone, Ferret Baudoin, Michael Chu, Tony Evans, Dave Maldonado); MOTB (George Ziets); New Vegas (John Gonzalez, Chris Avellone, Eric Fenstermaker, Travis Stout and various others) or even "Fallout 2" writing this won't be. Not even Alpha Protocol (Chris Avellone, Matt MacLean, Brian Mitsoda, Travis Stout) or South Park: The Stick of Truth (Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Eric Fenstermaker).
Look at all those males. I sense a pattern here. :P

Yeah, because the world is full of women who can write for a male audience. Not.

Hellion

Arcane
They also have an NCR Ranger, we visited their offices for some PR-related stuff a couple of years ago and snapped a quick photo.

C66fmmeWYAAuRvl.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
Fallout 4 sold 12 mil in its first week, this even with the epic store exclusivity should sell at least 1/3 of it this year.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It will easily sell million in the first month, the singleplayer RPG thirst is real. Kingdom Come sold a million in like two weeks.
That said I do hope it sells as little on epic as possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom