Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new first-person sci-fi RPG from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by DosBuster, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Starks graduated summa cum laude, so she's not a brainlet as I originally thought, just incredibly normie in her entertainment choices. She has the drive and the ability to write better than she does with proper direction (fabulously optimistic).

• Fabulously Optimistic x 4
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    intelligence does not always equal deep interest in a particular field. it sometimes is that smarter people seek something more uncommon, but not always.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Her MFA was in creative writing. On paper, an ideal candidate to provide writing services. :negative:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ciox Learned

ciox
    [​IMG]

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    While I don't hate Fallout 3 with the power of a thousands suns like some here do, I do hate the writing. It's always baffled me that some people praised it, relatively smart people with industry experience. I guess they found stuff like Little Lamplight kitschy and amusing, rather than brain-dead. I dunno. At least you have to admit the Enclave and "President" were poorly written right? I guess not, I dunno.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Well, look at this:

[​IMG]

I mean, shit, a kid pretending to be an adult, with chubby chicks and an oversized helmet? That dislikes adults?
    It's made especially to tickle the lowest common denominator. At this point it doesn't even matter what they say, all Bethesda's audience will think is "OMG soooooo cutttttttte!!!"

You have to give it to Bethesda, they do know what Joe McStupid likes.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Kyl Von Kull Arcane Guillotine Operator Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    In defense of the multitalented Megan Starks, the interview where she namechecks Fallout 3 was not about this game, it was about inspirations for Tyranny, and her answer was sandwiched between narrative lead Matt MacLean and Paul Kirsch talking about much better stuff. Maclean mentions The Black Company, Myth: The Fallen Lords, the Fallout Series (especially New Vegas), and especially real world history—fascism, drug cartels, imperialism. Everybody from Dulles overthrowing democratic regimes on behalf of The United Fruit company and British Iranian Oil, to Kim Jong-Il and Qin Shi Huang.

Then there’s Kirsch: “I take some inspiration from Michael Moorcock’s Elric of Melnibone series—not as much from the sword & sorcery angle as the impression that the protagonist comes from a context so inherently dark that cruelty and atrocity are the benchmarks for normalcy. If doing something unspeakably awful is presented in a casual tone, chances are fair I’m tipping my hat to Elric.

Another of our big themes is power and how it gets wielded. We take a lot of inspiration from Soylent Green—specifically the scene where Charleton Heston is supposed to be investigating a murder and he spends most of the time looting the victim’s upper-class apartment. He’s operating within the rights that his station affords him, he’s being a huge dick about it, but he doesn’t spend a moment questioning the ethics behind this behavior. That’s a good roadmap for understanding how the Fatebinder expresses their authority.”

Between them you have mainstream pop culture Megan:

Megan Starks, Narrative Designer: I really like the dark humor in many of the Orcs' lines in the Lord of the Rings movies. I also like to think a bit about some different bad guy groups like the Governor or the people running Terminus in The Walking Dead, the raiders in Fallout 3, the reavers in Firefly, US prohibition-era gangsters, or hired gun type characters (whether it be a spy like Brock Samson from the Venture Bros or a sellsword like Bronn from Game of Thrones).

For examples of good people, or just normal people—both good and not-so-good, caught in situations they don't have much control over (you do what you have to protect your country and/or to survive)—I looked at various war movies for inspiration. If these influences seem like they're all over the place, it's because they definitely are. It's good to consume a lot of different types of narratives and character portrayals and blend them together new and interesting ways, in my opinion.”

This is a disappointing answer, sure, but “the raiders in Fallout 3” is much less disturbing than “Fallout 3.” There are hardly any raiders you can talk to, most of what you know about them comes from their barks, them trying to kill you, or weird environmental storytelling, which is the only thing Bethesda’s even halfway good at. The takeaway from this is that the Megan Starks of 2016 needed to play/read/watch some stuff that’s actually good so she’d have better sources to draw on.

And, hey, wouldn’t you know, Leonard Boyarsky said he had some trouble getting the writers for TOW on the same page, which is why he told Megan Starks to watch Brazil, and it blew her mind: “oh my god,” she said, “what am I getting myself into?” IMO, that seems like the right way to handle someone who knows how to write, but doesn’t consistently know what to write.

• Brofist x 8
    • cuck x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    Why is it a big deal that Boyarsky sent Sparks to watch Brazil? Project lead asked writers to watch it, so what? It's a well-known film anyway. Although, to be fair, seeing what she references he should have locked her for a whole week to watch other movies.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sailor Woedica Learned The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Twitch streamers are visiting Obsidian for The Outer Worlds!!!!!

Unless she was there to voice act in the game lol! I remember Kate Dollarhyde tweeted about loving when va’s laugh at your writing a week or two ago[​IMG]

• retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Note that Fallout 3 is listed in her favorite games:
    http://www.fictivate.com/
    I see that she has recently added NV to the list of her favorites. A few months ago when I last checked, FO3 was on her list (first no less) and NV wasn't. I had commented on this here.

I get the feeling that she really loves FO3 writing.

• Funny x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Modron Arcane

Modron
    That is true of almost all concept art for videogames (and movies as well) unless it is very rough programmer art.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Informative.

On a serious note, just because she performed well at her studies in some below average University on some non-prominent and useless field doesn't mean she can write.

The way I see it more often than not people who specifically study to become writers aren't good writers. Same goes for journalists who study journalism.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'd feel a lot better were it magna cum laude.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    My impression is that they would never hire grognards since they don't enjoy complex mechanics themselves or are afraid to hurt sales.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kyl Von Kull Arcane Guillotine Operator Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    I’m 99% sure Fallout 3 was her first exposure to the franchise. The Fallout universe is a great setting and if you haven’t played the originals, it’s harder to see why 3 was so goddamn terrible and disappointing. We don’t give Bethesda any credit for the stuff Black Isle came up with—we often hate them for botching the execution—but how is she supposed to tell the difference?

Besides, even people who love Fallout 3 don’t love it for the writing. No one loves Bethesda games for the writing.

Obsidian has a bunch of talented young writers who hadn’t been exposed to lots of stuff we take for granted. Sawyer is apparently awful at convincing people to consume the right media. Makes sense—who would listen to bicycle guy about this stuff? Based on everything we’ve heard, Tim & Leonard sound like much better evangelists for quality entertainment. I believe that will make a difference.

• Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yes, which probably means she went crazy during education.

^ Top  
  17. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    How can they be talented writers if they only write drivel? Does it make any sense to talk about talented cRPG writers that never have been exposed to the classics of the medium?

You must be living in a cave to believe that Tim Cain still has somehting interesting to offer. Dude was trying to convice developers that FO is too complicated and we should replace stats with geometric shapes. He is done, finished.

EDIT: when pretentious retards like Prima Cunta and Kyl Von Kull give you negative ratings you know you are completely right.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Funny x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Sailor Woedica Learned The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Tim Cain is cancelled

• Funny x 6
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    DualShockers interviews from April: https://www.dualshockers.com/the-outer-worlds-interview-tim-cain-leonard-boyarsky-fallout/

https://www.dualshockers.com/the-outer-worlds-interview-pax-east/

• honk honk! honk honk! x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    Why the news for a game that will release in 1.5 years?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good Megan!

Six companions in the game, and three of the four that we've seen are female. Likely assumption is that the two companions we haven't seen are both male. Megan leaving her comfort zone?

• meh meh x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    Change the thread title to "Megan Starks self-help group".

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    You literally assumed their gender. :o

• Funny Funny x 2
    • M'lady M'lady x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    They could be new gender freaks.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    For Christ sake! Do you job!

That's get even better:
    :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)