Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
L: The flaws system was one element of The Outer Worlds I spoke to Tim and Leonard about quite a bit. I’m curious though, will flaws you acquire play into the narrative in any way or is it more of a systems-level function?

MS: It’s more of systems thing but I sneak some in. I really liked the robophobia flaw where when you talk to robots sometimes you have the dialogue option where you just scream in their face. But for the most part, it’s systems based.

Good Megan!

MS: We haven’t revealed either of the two companions that I’ve written for yet. I’m always trying to catch myself before I accidentally talk about it in interviews.

Six companions in the game, and three of the four that we've seen are female. Likely assumption is that the two companions we haven't seen are both male. Megan leaving her comfort zone?

The Outer Worlds is one of the first true single-player RPGs that we’ve seen in quite a bit

For Christ sake! Do you job!

That's get even better:
Logan: I find Obsidian to be really unique because you all are constantly switching genres it seems with almost every project you make. From first-person games like Fallout: New Vegas and The Outer Worlds to turn-based projects like South Park: The Stick of Truth, is it hard to constantly be switching things up and not sticking within one genre structure for too long? And does that ever lead to trouble during development?

:)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, same thing I thought - read the first question - "this guy has no idea about Obsidian or RPGs"

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sure enough:

Charles Staples: I remember when I first came on board, Tim and Leonard had a ton of documentation written down and like the first week was just reading all of it and [understanding] “Okay, this is what you guys are trying to do. I need to read all this stuff.” They also had referenced movies, books, and that sort of stuff so that everybody could get on the same page of the influences and inspirations that we have for this. Then it comes to us to be like “Okay, that’s what they want to do, now it’s our job to execute on this and turn this into a game.”

L: Because Tim and Leonard have been in the industry for a bit at this point and are a bit more old school, did you find working with them to be any different than other projects you’ve worked on in the past?

Megan Starks: I think the main difference I’ve noticed is that Tim and Leonard just have really smart creative instincts. So whenever they come up with an idea, it’s like spot-on where usually you kind of toss some stuff out and you need to refine it and work it into the final vision. You can be like, “Well, I really need some direction on X,” and you’ll get a very quick, really good response.

That's a big fat fuck you to Sawyer and Patel, isn't it?

Codex Year of the Donut
The Outer Worlds is one of the first true single-player RPGs that we’ve seen in quite a bit

For Christ sake! Do you job!

That's get even better:
Logan: I find Obsidian to be really unique because you all are constantly switching genres it seems with almost every project you make. From first-person games like Fallout: New Vegas and The Outer Worlds to turn-based projects like South Park: The Stick of Truth, is it hard to constantly be switching things up and not sticking within one genre structure for too long? And does that ever lead to trouble during development?

:)

The Real Fanboy
Six companions in the game, and three of the four that we've seen are female. Likely assumption is that the two companions we haven't seen are both male. Megan leaving her comfort zone?

After watching Endgame last week (don't worry no spoilers!) I really hope they have a character like Nebula as a companion (Nebula is the coolest Avenger):D

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Sure enough:

Charles Staples: I remember when I first came on board, Tim and Leonard had a ton of documentation written down and like the first week was just reading all of it and [understanding] “Okay, this is what you guys are trying to do. I need to read all this stuff.” They also had referenced movies, books, and that sort of stuff so that everybody could get on the same page of the influences and inspirations that we have for this. Then it comes to us to be like “Okay, that’s what they want to do, now it’s our job to execute on this and turn this into a game.”

L: Because Tim and Leonard have been in the industry for a bit at this point and are a bit more old school, did you find working with them to be any different than other projects you’ve worked on in the past?

Megan Starks: I think the main difference I’ve noticed is that Tim and Leonard just have really smart creative instincts. So whenever they come up with an idea, it’s like spot-on where usually you kind of toss some stuff out and you need to refine it and work it into the final vision. You can be like, “Well, I really need some direction on X,” and you’ll get a very quick, really good response.

That's a big fat fuck you to Sawyer and Patel, isn't it?

Sawyer is a hack. He has no creative vision. He is good for cutting the fat and being acting team autist to fact check. Nothing more. This is even if we do not touch his tendencies to insert his wacky theories about Atlanto-Hyperborean origins of Germanics and future of Aryan race.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

After watching Endgame last week (don't worry no spoilers!) I really hope they have a character like Nebula as a companion (Nebula is the coolest Avenger):D
Kaptain murica dies,iron cuck dies,loky dies,the assassin chick dies,nebula dies also there is new gamora and the old is dead,purple retards is also dead......and i even didn't watch that shit!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not like there's been any news.

Additionally, there are many console players out there who would find this whole Epic business irrelevant. This is a console game.

Efe

Erudite
while thats correct, reddit isnt pc release exclusive and activity drop is real.
its strange that they let hype/news die down like this.

Trashos

Arcane
Don't know, but maybe they feel this is not a good time to be in the news? Many people are pissed at them, maybe they are waiting for the rage to die down.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure I ever even looked at the PoE or PoE2 books and maps honestly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom