Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Unfortunately this also means you have to sit through the shitshow that is the Game Awards just to see the reveal, look at all those horrible categories: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_Awards_2018

Outer Worlds will probably be somewhere between Best Esports Coach and Best Mobile Game.

NullFlow

Savant
Could be a coincidental slight against Bethesda with the retrofuturist aesthetic for the disillusioned Fallout fans and a space sci-fi to compete against Starfield. Anyway, the pedigree of the names attached is enough for some cautious optimism. Might make watching TGA worth it for the oodles of commercials and Fortnite kiddie appeal.

Molina

Savant
604px-Robida_vie_electrique.png

Arcanum 2 : 1900's :evilcodex:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
At this stage I can't get more excited than:

meh.png
meh.png
meh.png
meh.png
meh.png

One half Elex/10

Let's first see if the Steampunk isn't just a "retro is cool you guys" gimmick, and if the "humor" that's talked about is more of the self-deprecating Harold type rather than the Bethesda "look it's Vault Boy" type.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
At this point the only thing I hope for is some nice art direction from Boyarsky.
There's literally no chance that the game will be a Black Isle/Troika-style RPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is going to be a multiplatform action-RPG, obviously.

The big question, IMO, is whether it will have multiplayer, and to what degree multiplayer will be emphasized if it will.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Before the anti-triangle jihad goes into full swing, please remember that the triangle system Tim showed in his Reboot presentation last year is a numeric system.

You have six stats (SPECIAL without luck because luck is now a perk) in two separate pools. You distribute the same number of points among three physical stats and three mental stats. Rather than 1-10, each attribute runs from 1-4. One is shit, two is ok, three is good, four is great.

Tim uses the triangles to express the fact that each pool of stats has only two possible distributions: 3-3-1 or 4-2-2.

In point buy terms: say you get 7 points for each pool. Going from 1-2 costs 1 point, going from 2-3 or 3-4 on a single stat costs 2 points. going from 2-3 on a second stat costs 3 points (think of it as a bonus for specialization or a tax on versatility). With that system, there are only two possible distributions for each pool of stats, 3-3-1 or 4-2-2. Unless my simple arithmetic is very off due to sleep deprivation.

Sure, it would be better to have a more granular system like SPECIAL, but Bloodlines did just fine with attributes running from 1-5. So 1-4 may be decline, but it's a smaller decline than you might expect.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They waited to see how hard Fallout 76 would flop and can now be hailed as the bringers of incline to Fallout-like games.

Yes! This is such a good marketing lewk, with Bethesda ruining the fallout brand with 76 and Obsidian able to say this game is made by the original creators of Fallout. Outer Worlds is going to be snatched to the gods onstage

It's similar to how Ubisoft has gone all in on Bioware stuff because, fuck it, nobody else is. Even if the game's bad, what are the fans going to do, there's no alternative really so they'll buy it anyway

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Before the anti-triangle jihad goes into full swing, please remember that the triangle system Tim showed in his Reboot presentation last year is a numeric system.

As I said when the idea was revealed, I think the reason people have a particularly negative reaction to "geometric shapes" is that the words conjure up the vision of some kind of childish, Playmobil-esque user interface where words and numbers are literally replaced one-to-one with colorful shapes and symbols. Like instead of the number 3 there's a blue triangle and instead of 4 there's a red square.

Tim should have picked a cooler, more adult-sounding term to use instead of "geometric shapes".

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't think anyone's particularly negative to the concept behind it... it's just easy, low-hanging fruit when it comes time to make a mocking post for internet points. (Case in point; my post. :smug:)

Father Foreskin

Learned
This is a completely new approach to rpg stats. You have a triangle, an X, probably a square. All you need then is a circle and you can mash all 4 buttons on your playstation controller.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah Vagina for the flat top triangle and Penis for the percing tip triangle (and flat ball sac) would've been much more... organic terms.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom