Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If you mean me, I am not complaining about "easy" but about bad.
Post-Skyrim has given us Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Mass Effect Andromeda. Do you consider any of those good?
w3 expacs + dxmd are good

It also has terrible combat, p. forgetable main story, basically no RPG mechanics, character progression less developed and worse than some multiplayer FPS games. It's just a good storyfag & settingfag game.
which one

Arcanum.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shit Roguey Says : Borderlands actually needs a pulse to play?
I was going by how it looks, but gamefaqs ranks all three overwhelmingly as "just right" just like the Bethouts, so I guess it's pretty easy. :M

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
w3, I didn't even realise you meant new deus ex game. I haven't played that one so I cannot comment.

You should play it, it is a great game. Needs a beefy pc for high settings though. Gets frequently on sale around 10 euros for the complete version... It is a steal.

I played the first new one, and it was really not that great, especially level design, character progression and story were not great, I am a settingfag and I love cyberpunk so I finished it but I couldn't even tell you what the game was about if you put a gun to my head. Is the second one an improvement, or is it just more of the same?

I enjoyed witcher 3, by the way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not only is it easy, it's actually more bullet sponge and attrition than this game.
With the speed of those bullets flying around it'd have to be.

Outer Worlds isn't spongey unless your definition of sponge is "anything that takes more than one hit to kill"

Oracsbox

Shit Roguey Says : Borderlands actually needs a pulse to play?
I was going by how it looks, but gamefaqs ranks all three overwhelmingly as "just right" just like the Bethouts, so I guess it's pretty easy. :M

Not only is it easy, it's actually more bullet sponge and attrition than this game.
depends on how you play it
I'm referring to Borderlands 2 here but on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode there is a challenge,character builds are important,enemies and you can be 1 shot depending on situation and weaponry,bullet sponginess is not really an issue.

Fairfax

Arcane
List of Obsidian games with good combat:
The Tim Cain personality cult thought he'd bring the incline because of uh.... a faithful adaptation of a lousy Dungeons and Dragons module I guess?
It was 3.5E, so it was far from faithful. +M

To be fair, the combat looks like Borderlands, which is particularly dumb. Something like ME would've left a better impression here, considering how many users like ME2.
Eh, other than the art style and the popping numbers, I don't see it. Borderlands has a faster pace, this is more sluggish Bethesda-style "don't worry, you don't need good reflexes to win" combat.
Neither of them requires good reflexes. TOW seems close to Bethesda-style as well, but the active abilities and wacky weapons seem more like Borderlands. I guess it'll be a dull middle ground.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Gotta appreciate people having strong opinions about whether enemies are spongy and whether combat requires reflexes after 3 minute video done on easiest difficulty setting.

Codex, Codex never changes.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Post-Skyrim has given us Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Mass Effect Andromeda. Do you consider any of those good?
Fallout 4 combat is literally the only thing good about that game.

The Witcher 3 combat also tooks to many shit than what it deserves, it's perfectly serviceble and it's superior to a lot of games of the same style. It's certainly better than Gothic.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I played the first new one, and it was really not that great, especially level design, character progression and story were not great, I am a settingfag and I love cyberpunk so I finished it but I couldn't even tell you what the game was about if you put a gun to my head. Is the second one an improvement, or is it just more of the same?

I enjoyed witcher 3, by the way.

Well, i did enjoy Human Revolution a lot too so...

Mankind Divided is a vast improvement in gunplay, game engine, and it has some cool new powers to use. I liked the voice acting and general story a lot too. In a sense it is an improved version of Human Revolution, but it ends up in a cliffhanger story-wise. The story in the game is completed, but it leaves many questions unanswered for a sequel...

Still, it is one of the best AAA games of this generation in my opinion. As i said, it IS cheap, and if you like cyberpunk, it is a no brainer...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am talking about combat....... it's a little early to start celebrations, isn't it?

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's all because of expectations.
The gun looks like some huge bulky Dirty Harry revolver, it have a strong recoil and loud gunshot sfx, but it's not powerful enough to oneshot a squirel.

Terenty

Liturgist
Can someone explain to me why people responsible for creation of such cool characters as Magnus, Gar, Virgil etc, shit out whatever it is in this game? Did their brains dry up or smth?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gotta appreciate people having strong opinions about whether enemies are spongy and whether combat requires reflexes after 3 minute video done on easiest difficulty setting.

That reminds me... The recoil recovery thing that Tim talked about in the past in that "RPG flaws" seminar of his seems to be there. Partly hence the combat looks kinda sluggish. I wonder if difficulty settings impact the skill effect there....

Because the game - with it's sluggishness - kinda looks like first person ELEX.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom