Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is anyone surprised or even indignant that Tim and Leonard are actually, you know, directing this hundred man project where they’re the co-directors? Avellone has told us repeatedly that it’s pretty harmful for project directors to get sucked into the nitty gritty, like Sawyer writing companions.

I think this will be a good test of Megan Starks. I think she’s genuinely talented when she’s given decent material to work with, which is what Tim and Leonard are there for. Give her Bleden Mark and she’s great. Give her The Gullet and she’s great. Give her a lame companion and it’s garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

From Falling Out To Falling In: The Romantic Saga of Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky

"You are S.P.E.C.I.A.L to me."

"Falling Out to Falling In is one of those tales of curiously gay manlove that grabs you by the testicles and never quite stops squeezing." - Wesley Morris, New York Times

"There has never been a story concerning two grown hairy men that has the passion and majesty this film proudly carries itself with. See it. Now." - Jim Vejvoda, IGN

"I liked Betrayal at Krondor." - Darth Roxor, RPG Codex

Summer 2020.

Get ready.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Anyway, the trailer is still 13 most popular thing on youtube right now with 2 million views(the most popular video on yt obsidian released before has 840k views over 4 years). They couldn't time the reveal better.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Why is anyone surprised or even indignant that Tim and Leonard are actually, you know, directing this hundred man project where they’re the co-directors?
You say that to a Codex that has been spurned for years by projects supposedly featuring Chris Avellone, while in reality he's written ten lines of background lore and provided some kind of nebulous "feedback" to the people actually doing the work. It's easy for him to tell us about what's harmful, but from a consumer's perspective, his best work came from him being heavily involved with the nitty gritty (see: writing) himself. The same is no doubt true of Cain and Boyarsky, and while sure, it's not a big surprise that they aren't creating this mainstream RPG in their basements all by their lonesome, their names are currently the only thing that makes this project worth a second look, IMO. The further removed they are from the nitty gritty, the less hope I have for this game. There's also the Peter principle to consider, which may apply here.

Don Peste

Arcane
Boyarsky: For [The Outer Worlds] we are much more directors. It's our vision, but we have a lot of very talented and wonderful people that we're working with who have done things that, especially from an art standpoint, I don't know that I would have brought it in that direction, but in a good way. We pointed them in a direction and they ran in directions that we never could have anticipated. In a way that's very rewarding because you feel like you gave people a germ of an idea and they got to make it their own and it comes back to you and you see what people have done. But on the other hand, I'm not in there doing that every day. I'm making sure people are heading to the right destination and fulfilling our vision of the game. I've been able to do some writing, some hands-on art direction, but for the most part a lot of people are doing the actual nuts-and-bolts work that we used to do on a day-to-day basis.

Pack it up guys, its officially gonna suck
Its not a Tim and Leo game, they are not even doing anything here hands on. Its a game made essentially by the same people that granted us such masterpieces as POE and POE 2 and whatever else they've been doing these past 10 years. Make of this what you want
It's going to be an OK game and I'm looking forward to play it like everyone else, et cetera. But... yeah, you have to acknowledge what's going on here.

It's sad for me to finally realize (call me slow) that Troika is not coming back. Add to this the Kickstarter General Fiasco and Avellone living in the Limbo of the Lost, and... :cry:

Yosharian

Arcane

Came across this video on yootoob. He makes some good points.

"good points"

"It looks like a rip-off of Fallout"

Yeah, I'm hitting you with a citation needed on those 'good points'.

The game looks fun, and the aesthetic is neat. Despite my criticisms of the gameplay, that's undeniable.

I mean, unless all you like is grimdark, serious shit. Like Josh Sawyer.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is anyone surprised or even indignant that Tim and Leonard are actually, you know, directing this hundred man project where they’re the co-directors? Avellone has told us repeatedly that it’s pretty harmful for project directors to get sucked into the nitty gritty, like Sawyer writing companions.

I think this will be a good test of Megan Starks. I think she’s genuinely talented when she’s given decent material to work with, which is what Tim and Leonard are there for. Give her Bleden Mark and she’s great. Give her The Gullet and she’s great. Give her a lame companion and it’s garbage in, garbage out.
Give her creative freedom and she gives you Kills-in-Shadow? :D

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Why is anyone surprised or even indignant that Tim and Leonard are actually, you know, directing this hundred man project where they’re the co-directors?
You say that to a Codex that has been spurned for years by projects supposedly featuring Chris Avellone, while in reality he's written ten lines of background lore and provided some kind of nebulous "feedback" to the people actually doing the work. It's easy for him to tell us about what's harmful, but from a consumer's perspective, his best work came from him being heavily involved with the nitty gritty (see: writing) himself. The same is no doubt true of Cain and Boyarsky, and while sure, it's not a big surprise that they aren't creating this mainstream RPG in their basements all by their lonesome, their names are currently the only thing that makes this project worth a second look, IMO. The further removed they are from the nitty gritty, the less hope I have for this game. There's also the Peter principle to consider, which may apply here.

Ok, but Tim and Leonard aren’t writing one or two companions, they’re the directors! Who honestly thinks this would be a better game if Tim Cain spent more time programming it?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
"good points"

The game looks fun, and the aesthetic is neat. Despite my criticisms of the gameplay, that's undeniable.

The visual look of the game is derivative of Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and Borderlands, that being said, there's only so much you can do with the 3D-graphics to give your game its own look. To be fair, given what we know of the game so far, I don't think more realistic style would've worked for it.

Looks like I've poked the Obisidrones' nest.

:troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fairfax

Arcane
Does it even have a hundred people? Flou's list had ~60, and many have left Obsidian. Anyway, with Obsidian's current talent, it was natural to hope that they'd be more involved in the trenches (as they used to be). However, the weakest aspects will most certainly be writing and combat, and there isn't much they could do to improve them directly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People who say "Outer Worlds isn't a real Cain and Boyarsky game unless they do lots of low-level content creation for it" should be careful they don't accidentally absolve Pillars of Eternity of being a Sawyer game :smug:

Does it even have a hundred people? Flou's list had ~60, and many have left Obsidian. Anyway, with Obsidian's current talent, it was natural to hope that they'd be more involved in the trenches (as they used to be). However, the weakest aspects will most certainly be writing and combat, and there isn't much they could do to improve them directly.

Surely it must have a hundred and more - what else could explain Obsidian's current total head count.

Yosharian

Arcane
"good points"

The visual look of the game is derivative of Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and Borderlands, that being said, there's only so much you can do with the 3D-graphics to give your game its own look. To be fair, given what we know of the game so far, I don't think more realistic style would've worked for it.

Looks like I've poked the Obisidrones' nest.

:troll:
Lmao, hardly dude. Check my previous posts, I've been highly critical of the gameplay.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron

Ok, but Tim and Leonard aren’t writing one or two companions, they’re the directors! Who honestly thinks this would be a better game if Tim Cain spent more time programming it?
Obviously I wasn't talking about programming, but about creative stuff, stuff like the highlighted portions of Terenty's post:
Boyarsky: For [The Outer Worlds] we are much more directors. It's our vision, but we have a lot of very talented and wonderful people that we're working with who have done things that, especially from an art standpoint, I don't know that I would have brought it in that direction, but in a good way. We pointed them in a direction and they ran in directions that we never could have anticipated. In a way that's very rewarding because you feel like you gave people a germ of an idea and they got to make it their own and it comes back to you and you see what people have done. But on the other hand, I'm not in there doing that every day. I'm making sure people are heading to the right destination and fulfilling our vision of the game. I've been able to do some writing, some hands-on art direction, but for the most part a lot of people are doing the actual nuts-and-bolts work that we used to do on a day-to-day basis.
I trust in Cain & Boyarsky's vision, but after their ideas have gone through the digestive tract of Obsidian's ground floor crew, there's no telling what's going to come out the other end. Letting anno 2019 Obs run with anything doesn't inspire confidence. We know that MCA holds himself to vastly higher standards than the people he critiques, and I don't think it's unlikely that the same is happening here.

Fairfax

Arcane
People who say "Outer Worlds isn't a real Cain and Boyarsky game unless they do lots of low-level content creation for it"
Troika fanboys believe Cain and Boyarsky are more highbrow than they actually are, so they want to blame TOW's decline on the people they're directing. :M

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I trust in Cain & Boyarsky's ideas, but after they've gone through the digestive tract of Obsidian's ground floor crew, there's no telling what's going to come out the other end. Letting anno 2019 Obs run with anything doesn't inspire confidence. We know that MCA holds himself to vastly higher standards than the people he critiques, and I don't think it's unlikely that the same is happening here.

Again, why are you taking this to mean that they’re exercising no discretion whatsoever over the end product? Allowing their subordinates to do their jobs is not the same as giving them carte blanche to put whatever they want in the game. Directing =/= doing nothing.

But they aren’t going to tell the interviewer about all of the bad ideas they squashed along the way—that would be bad PR.

Tim Cain does a brutal postmortem of every single Fallout game, including the ones he had nothing to do with. The idea that he and Leonard are incapable of delegating wisely or critiquing their subordinates is kind of nuts. They did that at Troika! I wouldn’t trust them to run a business, but to direct a game (as long as the publisher spends a lot on QA)? Come on.

People who say "Outer Worlds isn't a real Cain and Boyarsky game unless they do lots of low-level content creation for it"
Troika fanboys believe Cain and Boyarsky are more highbrow than they actually are, so they want to blame TOW's decline on the people they're directing. :M

More like people have been burned so many times that every utterance from these guys is interpreted in the most negative possible light.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom