Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Came across this video on yootoob. He makes some good points.
"good points"

"It looks like a rip-off of Fallout"

Yeah, I'm hitting you with a citation needed on those 'good points'.

The game looks fun, and the aesthetic is neat. Despite my criticisms of the gameplay, that's undeniable.

I mean, unless all you like is grimdark, serious shit. Like Josh Sawyer.

The visual look of the game is derivative of Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and Borderlands, that being said, there's only so much you can do with the 3D-graphics to give your game its own look. To be fair, given what we know of the game so far, I don't think more realistic style would've worked for it.

Indeed Fallout, Arcanum and F3: NV were all about the visuals.

Also please ask Escape from Tarkov or Metro developers about realistic styles.

Fucking codex. Looks like old posters got brain rot and should be put to sleep.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Tim Cain does a brutal postmortem of every single Fallout game
He never mentioned its "brutal", and that doesnt have anything to do with this one anyway. Except in your delusional broken mind.

Again, why are you taking this to mean that they’re exercising no discretion whatsoever over the end product?
He never said anything like that. You are halucinating strawmans.

The idea that he and Leonard are incapable of delegating wisely or critiquing their subordinates is kind of nuts. They did that at Troika!
No, they worked on games in Troika. With far better team.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Again, why are you taking this to mean that they’re exercising no discretion whatsoever over the end product?
Because I'm a massive pessimist, because I like absolutely nothing of what we've seen so far, and because Obsidian's track record in recent years isn't particularly great. I'm not out to disparage Cain & Boyarsky's management skills, but I do think that they'll excercise less discretion (which is different from no discretion) over other people's ideas compared to their own, just like MCA does. I hope I'm wrong. And I do think that they worked more closely on their games at Troika, because they flat out admit in the interview that they're further removed from development than they've been in the past.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have to say, the timing for The Outer Worlds couldn't be better, at least for the announcement. There haven't been really any good first-person action rpgs for a good while, Bethesda has lost a lot of goodwill from the potential customers, and even though I'm suspicious of the current writing staff in Obsidian, at least TOW looks (much) more fun than Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2. Also, it seems to be light-hearted and at least try to be fun and adventurous, which I think people are really graving nowadays. One type of game I'd love to play, written by very competent writers, would be The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. crpg...of course, with Bruce Campbell in the very prominent VA-role.

The ironic thing of it all is that this game will probably be the game that saves the studio, if it wasn't for the Microsoft buyout...

But then again, from what I have read and understand here on Codex is that Fergus wanted to sell for a long time now.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
"good points"

The game looks fun, and the aesthetic is neat. Despite my criticisms of the gameplay, that's undeniable.

The visual look of the game is derivative of Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and Borderlands, that being said, there's only so much you can do with the 3D-graphics to give your game its own look. To be fair, given what we know of the game so far, I don't think more realistic style would've worked for it.

Visual style is part of it, especially in Fallout and Arcanum, the visual style builds up the atmosphere of the game, the style they chose for Fallout 1&2 and Arcanum fit those games well. New Vegas will always look like fucking donkey ass, thanks to Bethesda's shitty engine, only redeeming quality in New Vegas is the writing and the quest/story design.

I think part of the reason why they chose more stylized look for the game is that it tends to stand the time better than realistic style.

PS. Fuck you too.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
"good points"

Visual style is part of it, especially in Fallout and Arcanum, the visual style builds up the atmosphere of the game, the style they chose for Fallout 1&2 and Arcanum fit those games well. New Vegas will always look like fucking donkey ass, thanks to Bethesda's shitty engine, only redeeming quality in New Vegas is the writing and the quest/story design.

I think part of the reason why they chose more stylized look for the game is that it tends to stand the time better than realistic style.

PS. Fuck you too.

The Outer Worlds's visuals are stylized but not in a jarring way like in Borderlands.

Fallout 4 visuals are fine. The game has other issues.

No Man's Sky's look is derivative to start with.

The idea is that nobody except Cain and Boyarsky know what is the real tone of the game therefore nobody can say if the visuals will match the atmosphere or not.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Fallout 4 visuals are fine
Citation please. Flat and not properly shadowed city are fine? The overexposed southern part of the map are fine? Glowing puke is fine? Fallout 4 looks like shit but different kind of, much meaner, seeing The Outer Worlds adapting similar techniques actively hurts the game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fallout 4 visuals are fine
Citation please. Flat and not properly shadowed city are fine? The overexposed southern part of the map are fine? Glowing puke is fine? Fallout 4 looks like shit but different kind of, much meaner, seeing The Outer Worlds adapting similar techniques actively hurts the game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/377160/Fallout_4/

ss_910437ac708aed7c028f6e43a6224c633d086b0a.1920x1080.jpg

ss_5e2d136759e0ff4e0d74940fffc9c64e8cdcd833.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c6b798424a93617b4b825aea3bcd9547c0b0a5ce.1920x1080.jpg

Or you could play the game. It's a piece of shit but the visuals are fine.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
If this game fails to deliver, the proud title of "the original creators of Fallout" will take a critical hit.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because I'm a massive pessimist, because I like absolutely nothing of what we've seen so far, and because Obsidian's track record in recent years isn't particularly great. I'm not out to disparage Cain & Boyarsky's management skills, but I do think that they'll excercise less discretion (which is different from no discretion) over other people's ideas compared to their own, just like MCA does. I hope I'm wrong. And I do think that they worked more closely on their games at Troika, because they flat out admit in the interview that they're further removed from development than they've been in the past.

Does MCA actually exercise less discretion over other people’s ideas when he’s calling the shots? Citation needed. He’s polite about other developers in public, but that has little to do with his management style and why would it apply to anyone else? Chris is pathologically self-effacing.

Maybe the skills needed to manage thirty people don’t scale to managing a hundred people, but you could just as easily say Tim and Leonard finally have the money and manpower to realize their vision.

If you don’t like anything at all about what you’ve seen so far, it’s probably because you don’t like that vision. seems a lot more likely than bungled execution.

sullynathan

Arcane
Name one Single player FPS where they are not
STALKER

Came across this video on yootoob. He makes some good points
Guy sounds like a generic vampire

https://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/7wy987/enemy_accuracy_and_bullet_sponge_in_coc/

google'd it because I could not arsed to actually autistically remember every detail of Stalker.
Reddit thread doesn't mean much

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Hopefully Feargus can borrow some designers from MS to give feedback on combat at least, because they certainly have better experience making compelling shooters than anybody at Obsidian.

ArchAngel

Arcane
"good points"

Neither Metro or EfT are RPGs. Metros is a story based shooter and EfT a MP PvP shooter. Don't know what is the point of bringing them up. Their focus is on graphics because that is how shooters stand apart from the crowd.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
"good points"

Neither Metro or EfT are RPGs. Metros is a story based shooter and EfT a MP PvP shooter. Don't know what is the point of bringing them up. Their focus is on graphics because that is how shooters stand apart from the crowd.

Jarpie was doubtful realistic visuals would work ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom