Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CONTEMPORARY WRITER DOES SOME WORK THAT IS GOOD AND SOME WORK THAT IS LESS GOOD
SEE
WRITER, p47

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This explains a lot.I now realize why the female characters look like dykes.
The artists draw what they see.
latest

4cCqVvFl_400x400.jpg

Is it she/her or he/him?

she/he

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Eh, I'm not a fan of the writing samples presented here (let alone with companions like Xoti or Kills-in-Shadows), but I'd say it's pretty easy to find examples of shitty prose in most commercial fiction these days.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Going three for three with Dollarhyde

My mother is a scientist—an astrophysicist and an engineer. She is a clever, brilliant woman. And she has long thought, must still surely think under all those comatic layers of drug-induced sleep, that if she could gaze far enough back into time, she could figure out just where we'd gone so wrong. That's why she built the time machine.

I was born at the start of summer, of the summer—the first summer the North Pole turned to slurry. California shriveled under skies washed red with wildfire haze. Shasta Lake, the state's largest reservoir, surrendered her last drops of water. Communities too long disempowered and disenfranchised were made to reckon with a reality that scientists like my mother had warned them of for decades: this hot, dry world was their new home, and there would be no going back. Millions of people lost their jobs, their homes, their lives. Many of those remaining fled to the cities, and the cities buckled under the weight of their untold grief, their justified fury.

I’m in the outer avenues, the ocean-most edge of San Francisco, where the wind drags knives across the skin.

There is a man standing beside me at the bus stop, just he and I alone in the mist of morning. I look at my feet rather than him, but it’s really nothing personal; eyes are powerful, and the interlocking of them even more so, and it seems most men believe that when ours meet it is an invitation.
If Purvi could inhabit my hurts as I inhabit those of others, what would she see?

Me, in bed with someone else, and I would say, “I don’t want this. I’m sorry.” And he would say, “That’s okay. I love you.”

Me, in a bar, the weekend before my wedding. An old friend would joke, “…and even if you’re wasted, you have to fuck on your wedding night! Otherwise, what’s the point?” And she would see my partner squeeze my hand beneath the bar. But she would not see how in that moment I hate myself for not telling that friend off, for being this way, for hiding it.

Me, curled in a ball on the couch beside someone I loved. “We could have an open relationship. You could find someone else to do things I can’t,” I’d say. “No,” his response. “I only want you.”

My voice, reciting the constant thrum of dread that still beats beneath every thought: They will leave you. They will leave you. They will leave you.

I find her the least obnoxious one of the bunch which is great for her, but terrible for Obsidian.

Oracsbox

Going three for three with Dollarhyde

My mother is a scientist—an astrophysicist and an engineer. She is a clever, brilliant woman. And she has long thought, must still surely think under all those comatic layers of drug-induced sleep, that if she could gaze far enough back into time, she could figure out just where we'd gone so wrong. That's why she built the time machine.

I was born at the start of summer, of the summer—the first summer the North Pole turned to slurry. California shriveled under skies washed red with wildfire haze. Shasta Lake, the state's largest reservoir, surrendered her last drops of water. Communities too long disempowered and disenfranchised were made to reckon with a reality that scientists like my mother had warned them of for decades: this hot, dry world was their new home, and there would be no going back. Millions of people lost their jobs, their homes, their lives. Many of those remaining fled to the cities, and the cities buckled under the weight of their untold grief, their justified fury.

I’m in the outer avenues, the ocean-most edge of San Francisco, where the wind drags knives across the skin.

There is a man standing beside me at the bus stop, just he and I alone in the mist of morning. I look at my feet rather than him, but it’s really nothing personal; eyes are powerful, and the interlocking of them even more so, and it seems most men believe that when ours meet it is an invitation.
If Purvi could inhabit my hurts as I inhabit those of others, what would she see?

Me, in bed with someone else, and I would say, “I don’t want this. I’m sorry.” And he would say, “That’s okay. I love you.”

Me, in a bar, the weekend before my wedding. An old friend would joke, “…and even if you’re wasted, you have to fuck on your wedding night! Otherwise, what’s the point?” And she would see my partner squeeze my hand beneath the bar. But she would not see how in that moment I hate myself for not telling that friend off, for being this way, for hiding it.

Me, curled in a ball on the couch beside someone I loved. “We could have an open relationship. You could find someone else to do things I can’t,” I’d say. “No,” his response. “I only want you.”

My voice, reciting the constant thrum of dread that still beats beneath every thought: They will leave you. They will leave you. They will leave you.

I find her the least obnoxious one of the bunch which is great for her, but terrible for Obsidian.

Good God !
I had great difficulty even getting to the end of that one,it's appalling
:whatho::killit:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
That is all very retarded but his use of "buckled under" as what a city did really annoyed me. Cities don't buckle.

EDIT: It's all very bad, yikes. "ocean-most" edge? Jesus christ.

EDIT 2x: Interlocking eyes

lul

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Also:

"My voice, reciting the constant thrum of dread that still beats"-- Uh, a heart beats, not a voice. Also thrumming means to make a rhythmic sound akin to a hum... which also does not beat, it is not percussive.

bah, anyway...

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Megan Starks is very capable.

Here is a detailed list of everything she’s been responsible for:

http://www.fictivate.com/game-design.html

She’s no Avellone, but judging Starks soley based on Xoti and Kills-in-Shadow would be like judging MCA solely based on Neeshka, or whoever your least favorite NWN2 companions happen to be.

You didn't read the link or is the post supposed to be sarcasm?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah I see we've arrived at the inevitable "bitch about millennial female writers" part of this game's lifecycle. Might as well get it over with.

But look, this isn't a thing that's going to go away. In fact it's going to get worse. And it's not really about California. Look at the demographics. Which of the two sexes reads more books today? Which one earns more college degrees, especially in literature and the humanities?

We're not going to return to the era where most of an Obsidian RPG's writers were overeducated dudes who were born in the 1970s and played Planescape: Torment in college. That generation has moved on. You should actually expect majority-female or even all-female RPG writing teams to be the norm in the future.

Last edited:

Oracsbox

Ah I see we've arrived at the inevitable "bitch about millennial female writers" part of this game's lifecycle. Might as well get it over with.

But look, this isn't a thing that's going to go away. In fact it's going to get worse. And it's not really about California. Look at the demographics. Which of the two sexes reads more books today? Which one gets earns more college degrees, especially in literature and the humanities?

We're not going to return to the era where most of an Obsidian RPG's writers were overeducated dudes who were born in the 1970s and played Planescape: Torment in college. That generation has moved on. You should actually expect majority-female or even all-female RPG writing teams to be the norm in the future.
You know how soul crushing this statement is

:abyssgazer:
:0-13:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

But look, this isn't a thing that's going to go away. In fact it's going to get worse. And it's not really about California. Look at the demographics. Which of the two sexes reads more books today? Which one gets earns more college degrees, especially in literature and the humanities?

How about hiring narrative designers whose qualifications involve running P&P games? :M

(of course this approach gets you Hepler, but y'know, at this point that's an improvement

Edit: Never mind, saw her twitter, like everyone else she's gone nuts about politics and perceived antisemitism)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom