Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new first-person sci-fi RPG from Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Nifft Batuff Learned

Nifft Batuff
    I noticed this issue as soon as I walked in an open space, and it is very annoying.

I haven't found any fix yet.

^ Top  
  2. jf8350143 Learned

jf8350143
    The game could use a flash light or a lamp. The lab on Roseway is really dark, and quite hard to see what's what.

Also I've been stuck at the weapon mod screen twice, both after I change the damage type of the weapon. Have to restart the game. The auto save system is decent enough so I didn't really lose any progress but still quite annoying.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    i have named shotgun 'the euthanizer' or something which is just the same stat as the MSI tactical shotgun and unupgradeable on top. i remember bunch of unique weapons in new vegas was actually powerful compared to the ordinary guns (like benny's gun, etc)

definitely on the pile of why this game is a disappointment.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    They definitely are from a top-down view, but the way I would describe it, is that maps do a good job pretending to be more complex than they are actually are. A hidden passage under pipe, a hidden ladder allowing to sneak up a level and past enemies, strategically locked doors that require looking for different paths unless you can pass a skill check, things like that. Interior design people have done a great job. I'm with rusty_shackleford that hopefully DLCs add more space stations/dungeons because they're consistently the best part of the game.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    the only one it is used so far is the pork factory king quest and it was done really well. one of the best quest in the game IMO.

but otherwise you're just going into raider or animal lairs that made multiple entrances redundant. the problem is the lack of teeth in the factioning system so far. they really never go against each other truly. i haven't finished the game yet, but so far stuff like spacer's choice and deserters, the groundbreaker vs board, iconoclast vs MSI and sublight, etc. they hint of a brewing conflict but never do anything. it's dull.

maybe it will come up later. i am about to go the devil's peak in monarch.

new vegas have had this since the beginning. goodsprings vs powder gangers, the silver feather in the strip, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    MSI vs Iconoclast can lead to all out conflict. If you give targeting system to MSI - dozens of iconoclasts (including their leaders) start to attack MSI. It feels like the ruins around MSI were specifically designed with that in mind, especially the church where the final confrontation happens.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    • incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    More like a topielec inviting you for a swim. There's something oddly translucent about her. Like those marine creatures whose innards you can see when held against the light.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    Of all the settings... Something just died deep within me.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Haplo Liturgist Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    My take aways from this post are:
    1. Normal is too easy.
    2. You've been playing on the wrong difficulty setting given your experience with the genre and/or reflexes.
    Sure, the game is too easy. But that's pushing it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Haplo Liturgist Patron

Haplo
    With 1 EUR XBox Game Pass? Sure.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah $1 is nothing and you also got lots of games with that pass.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Haplo Liturgist Patron

Haplo
    Well, shotguns are kinda nice up close. Tactical shotguns knockdown enemies with TTD corpse shots.

A Flamethrower/Shock Cannon might kill them quicker... but you kinda need to focus fire on current target to stun-lock it. Meanwhile a shotgun with TTD might be better for Crowd Control when fighting multiple enemies -> survivability.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    TDD has some nice details actually. With plasma weapons you can burn most enemies if you the right point (like belly for the mantis), some sniper rifles have execute. I was already 1 shotting at that point so dunno how effective that was.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. I'll play this soon and post about how the game is good and you're all a bunch of haters for disliking it. You know, the usual. :)

• Funny x 4
    • Shit x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    Restarted the game for a supernova run, and I noticed there's something even more useless than the perks. The aptitudes. They give things like +1 skill, I mean, what's the point of something insignificant like 1/10 of a level-up anyways?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    At the big ship after the first planet and I'm bored. Combat blows - could go into why but basically you oscillate between everything being a bullet sponge and everything dying in one hit depending on the gun. Neither style is fun, and the weakspot system is just funny - you can't miss if you use F.E.A.R. mode.

None of that matters though. I wasn't expecting good (or even serviceable) combat from Obsidian, I just expected a nice world and good quest design.

Quest design seems alright in terms of a standard amount of branching, skill checks and alternate paths. The problem is the writing, it's not grabbing me at all. The setting fails to connect with me on every level and I don't really know why. I don't like the retrofuturism vibe (they don't seem to be doing anything with it beyond the "zany" ads and such), all the attempts at humour make me do a kind of anti-laugh where I just scowl at the screen, and I don't feel connected to my character or the world in any way. The corporation stuff is so tedious - the old guy who can't get access to healthcare because he's already got the plague is a real low point. Subtle. Listen, I'm not American, I already have state-provided healthcare, I don't care about this. I don't want to see the hot topic issues of today's America shoved hamfistedly onto space tuna cowboys.

The other problem is that almost all quests are fetch quests, and framed as such by the writing - not even an excuse to pretend like you're not on a fetch quest, as New Vegas often managed. Come on, who in their right mind gets excited at a fetch quest in 2019. "Sure, I'll come back to the town... but you'll have to find me two mechanical repair books first!" How about you stay out here and die then fuckhead.

No motivation to continue. No good characters so far, the only almost-memorable person was that mayor guy, and he only developed a character in his final few lines where he was like I ONLY WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR THESE PEOPLE. I AM GOING TO WALK INTO THE WILDERNESS AND DIE NOW. GOODBYE.

The starting planet took me about two hours, and in that time I've reached the point where I don't know or care what's going on with this solar system and the colonies, I don't know or care why my character is still here beyond "trapped because we have no jump drive or whatever", I don't care about The Board and I don't want to know more about them, I don't care about my companions and their wittering throughout the power quest just annoyed me, and I don't care about finding out what's on the other planets. Maybe it's just a bad intro but given how people in general seem to be reacting to the game, if I'm not interested in the setting by now then the rest of the game probably won't change my mind.

I also don't know what's up with the map design. I always assumed New Vegas only forced you to walk through huge stretches of boring empty space filled with irritating enemies because Obsidian were forced to make it on Gamebryo, but it turns out that's actually just their favoured type of map design. To get to my next quest I have to walk down a road with like 20 Marauder Vandals and then a bunch of technicolour dickhead alligator alien things come flying out of the ether to force me into another round of trash combat bullshit. Why.

Maybe I'll use the respec thing on the ship to become an insanely strong retard, just like in real life, to see if playing the game as a combat-oriented character is better.

• Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • decline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Haplo Liturgist Patron

Haplo
    Lots of good info and I also agree with most.
    But those 2. So far, I'm doing a lot of weapon switching. Most weapons feel effective, fun and different enough from each other - although sniping from afar is the safest option (still, some options here - can use assault rifle or plasma for example... even slower, but heavier and more accurate hunting rifle shots may work, particularly if you combine them with stealth).

And the Inhaler... I though it was a nice invention... development of this whole regen-over-time stimpack mechanic. I liked it. If you want to use a specific consumable, for example for some skill check, you don't need to load it into the inhaler, you can just right click and instantly use it from the inventory.

^ Top  
  18. Haplo Liturgist Patron

Haplo
    That's apparently some joke.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    Don't ever change Fluent .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    That's because you are a man.

:brodex:

• Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    The aptitudes were meant to be a joke that seemingly went over many people's heads.

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    Where can I find Parvati after she runs from me? You know, last time I killed Reed and told her to fuck off I tried to kill her but she teleported away. So where can I find her? I just got a new shotgun and tinkered it and stuff and I wanna, you know, find her and.....talk things out, my way.
    Also, just met Nyoka. Holy shit. Guess she's.......going on vacation too.

^ Top  
  23. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    They're both gone permanently.
    I reached Monarch last night and saw Nyoka too. :(

ON THE UPSHOT - this is the most stable Obsidian game by far - No crashes over 10 hours of play.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    i think the reason is fallout 2-ization of the themes. it can work as a theme but they satire'd it too much while focusing on capitalism bad thing as a one big joke, it's like they try to critisize the system trough satire ala south park but dont really have the teeth nor writing acument for it. basically presenting an issue, but instead of delving in multiple sides, they handwave it by making it borderlands style meme joke. similar setting in games that did it better is actually the mining colony part of the longest journey. the whole section is like very unimportant to the whole game and maybe last only 30 minutes before the climax of the game.

the premise is basically offworld mining corps taking desperate workers to work off world mining station with no hope of returning and basically living in enclosed space like hamster. it was done well portraying the despair of the people surrenderring themselves to the system in such of a short time and while in the colony they also live by and buy the same corporate products that hire them and it does capture the same themes TOW tried to build for 40 hours in like 30 minutes and several dozen of exposition line.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    Maybe that's because they're on the level of fart jokes. I forgot it even was there, despite playing the game day before.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)