Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new first-person sci-fi RPG from Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Oct 25, 2019.

1. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    i think the reason is fallout 2-ization of the themes. it can work as a theme but they satire'd it too much while focusing on capitalism bad thing as a one big joke, it's like they try to critisize the system trough satire ala south park but dont really have the teeth nor writing acument for it. basically presenting an issue, but instead of delving in multiple sides, they handwave it by making it borderlands style meme joke. similar setting in games that did it better is actually the mining colony part of the longest journey. the whole section is like very unimportant to the whole game and maybe last only 30 minutes before the climax of the game.

the premise is basically offworld mining corps taking desperate workers to work off world mining station with no hope of returning and basically living in enclosed space like hamster. it was done well portraying the despair of the people surrenderring themselves to the system in such of a short time and while in the colony they also live by and buy the same corporate products that hire them and it does capture the same themes TOW tried to build for 40 hours in like 30 minutes and several dozen of exposition line.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Van-d-all Savant

Van-d-all
    Maybe that's because they're on the level of fart jokes. I forgot it even was there, despite playing the game day before.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Daidre Scholar

Daidre
    It is probably most misogynistic comment I've ever seen in my time on Codex.

• Funny x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • M'lady x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A recurring observation: https://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/outer-worlds-disco/ Prime Junta

• Funny Funny x 9
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    Major decline.

• decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    but i dont hate the game or anything. i find myself looking forward to play after work, but i dunno. it just dont bite deep enough for me or maybe "post disco elysium" syndrome is real and i just expecting TOW to be as gut punching experience as DE and came out disappointed.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Oh boy, you're in for a ride then.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Riddler Prophet Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Just wait until the end ;)

^ Top  
  9. Daidre Scholar

Daidre
    About writing:

I am still trying to get out of Edgewater and when I talked with Max he made dismissive/indifferent comment about his congregation and their plights. From 4 dialogue options I am given: 2 are to defend them, 1 is to call vicar asshole in the face and last one is [Leave].

Why in the hell I can't agree with his pov? These bland pathetic creatures did nothing to deserve my sympathy.

Such a small thing pissed me off so much so early.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yep. Writing looks so easy compared to, say, sculpting. You look at the David and you know you couldn't pull off anything like that in a million years. But writing? Pff, you just put a bunch of words together and voila, you got yourself a story, no? Ezy pezy.

In reality tho it's probably the highest of all art forms. The ability to capture the depth and breadth of human emotions, inner lives, intricacies of the society and complexities of the world is extremely rare and that gaggle of vapid, high-functioning Bay Area dangerhair ignoramuses in the Obsidian writing room have certainly never been anywhere near it.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Crap, missed the sales. It's now $1.24!!
    HOT! Get it while you can bros! :lol:

P.S. that feeling when a company where you work releases the anticipated game where you were the lead writer
    but you're all over the place promoting your sexual fantasies book.

• Excited! x 6
    • hopw roewur ne x 5
    • honk honk! x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zerginfestor Learned

Zerginfestor
    I know the science weapons (I'm guessing they're along unique weapons) are extremely OP. At first I thought the Shrink Ray was a utility weapon, but nope.

Turns out you just use that on a gun build to murder everything in sight because it can do over 300 damage a pulse and pulses like..3 or 4 times a second? Reduces armor and stats on enemies, too. Think the only legit utility science weapon is the gloop gun. For other weapons, one of the strongest heavy weapon is in the first region.

^ Top  
  13. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    I wonder if this game would work better as an immersive sim type of thing rather than trying to be a scaled back nu-fallout clone. Maybe they should have looked at a different Bethesda IP for inspiration.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Black Arcane

Black
    Are the perks supposed to be jokes too with their super interesting +3% x?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Hot Coldman Educated

Hot Coldman
    Stop consuming RPGs legit made for sheep.
    This was made for anyone and everyone.
    It's not a Disco Elysium withdrawal. I
    happened to pass on that one but I also see
    this: Obsidian's safe RPG for bucks. Its
    themes are shallow, streamers are loving it.
    Streamers are loving it.Let that sink in.

And then there's Californiagirl and Nyoka.
    Pushing diversity hard

Now stop playing this tripe and Start playing Sandy Petersen's CALL of CTHULHU or
    MYFAROG instead, OR a good open world RPG like Morrowind

• Funny x 3
    • nice x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    Imagine you take The Outer Worlds and Fallout New Vegas, combine them and have David Lynch do the writing. Could be incline or very decline. But can't be worse than TOW.

• Creative x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Danikas Savant

Danikas
    Thats a lot for one roll of toilet paper.

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    I'd love to talk about the game, except there's nothing to talk about.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    I think the reason it went over people's heads is because it's pretty much self-conscious
    [​IMG]
    and it's, like, ironic, man.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    MSI vs. Iconoclast had some cool reactivity to it.

Show Spoiler
    I try to make peace between the two factions. First I get MSI on board. Then I head to Iconoclast and in previous conversation with Graham, the leader, I encouraged his religious bullshit for the lulz. So now the Iconoclast 2nd in command wouldn't work with me because she thought I'm a religious lunatic much like her boss. Peace was impossible, so I ended up siding with Iconoclasts and storming the MSI with them.

Post-disco elysium was definitely a thing for me. Every video game would look pale when played instantly after the best written RPG in decades and it's also hard to immediately switch your brain from DE depressing themes into a snarky comedy.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    it should've been a proper mechanic instead of some lame joke.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Daidre Scholar

Daidre
    At the same time every option in aptitudes list has 2-3 voiced "funny" comments from Dr when you pick it. So if you hadn't got a joke from the first click they would hammer it again and again.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That piece of "reactivity" was really dumb in my opinion. There is a conflict between zoro and leader of iconoclasts because zoro is more pragmatic and wants the leader to care more about troops well-being (like having more food, medicine, not sending them on dangerous and pointless missions and etc) and the leader is more ideological and ready to sacrifice people and their well-being in order to spread his ideas in hopes that it will attract more followers.
    There is one interaction between zoro and leader with regards to a quest where you can chose what provisions to order. The leaders asks you to order some paper for their pamphlets while zoro wants you to order some food and medicine (she does it by nagging when you are talking with quest giver and then fucks off without even talking to you about it again).
    During the quests I've chosen to order paper instead of food, so zoro got pissed.
    So, when given an opportunity to make a peace with msi and become the leader she says you must fuck off, not because she believes what icnoclast leader believes, but basically because she is pissed at you for following Iconoclast leader orders (which she also continues to do). She says you have wrong priorities and is easily swindled by other people (you were swindled by iconoclast leader into doing what he asked you instead of doing what she wants). And then decides to go get her people slaughetered by MSI troops.... Also, during the whole time she doesn't really have confrontation with Iconoclasts leaders, she only nags, but don't try to take his place of refuse to do his orders. But she is angry at you because you do as the leader of Iconoclasts say...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    It is easy to misrepresent what "the Codex" thinks.

It is not that Josh is interested in balance that irks me. It is the *fact* that he is *only* interested in balance that does so. Everything else, the story, the characters, the actual impactful abilities are sacrificed to banal shit boring "balance". The balance should be considered *after* you have the good things. Tim Cain was good in Arcanum because how good the world-building was. If anyone thinks that he was good at designing the mechanics then they need their brain checked for tumorous growths.

^ Top  
  25. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    almost as if codex isn't some kind of hivemind.

• Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)