Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

jf8350143

Liturgist
Lets be honest people, if this game wasn't released by Obsidian, this thread would have 1/3 of the size it has now, I only gave a shit about this game because of the supposed promise of being New Vegas on space and Tim and Boyarsky being involved. It turned out to be budget Fallout 4 on space with vestiges of New Vegas, then my interest dropped alot. Right now I'm just lamenting the opportunity lost and confirming that one of the few sources of incline on RPGs is truly dry at this point. I'm more shitposting about being butthurt that the incline dev list just got one name shorter.

It will be 1/3 the size and 1/10 the negativity.

Hot Coldman

Educated
One thing that I'm wondering about is whether we've all got corrupted by years of playing named, voiced protagonists in AAA games who already come out with their character fleshed out and having a hard time inhabiting a silent protag.

But I do agree people shouldn't consume all the crap media in the world because it DOES corrupt them, one way or another subconsciously

Drakortha

Liturgist
Lets be honest people, if this game wasn't released by Obsidian, this thread would have 1/3 of the size it has now
And if bethesda didn't shat the bed for last few years everyone everywhere else would cared about it even less. They had dream team, dream window for release and result is... meh.

Being a bit optimistic here, but this was this teams first game together. Maybe it's not lightning in a bottle right now and the writing and worldbuilding needs some more time in the oven, but maybe with higher budget sequels they'll have ample opportunity to further flesh out this new universe and improve the formula they have here, which in all honesty isn't irredeemable.

Either way I hope Obsidian do well with this new IP because the more studios making RPG's, the tougher the competition between AAA studios and it's the players who benefit the most from having more choice in games.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
fantadomat

You must have been reading different DE thread than me. I seem to recall 30 pages of meltdowns over the world faggot, 20 pages of metldowns whether the game tries to convert people to communism, and 40 pages of debate about what is an RPG. But yes, it's much worse here. :D

Quillon

Arcane
Quillon they went after the New Vegas audience for a reason, it’s the Gamebryo title that does the least with the immersive sim elements and focuses the most on C&C and reactivity. Plus, there are millions of people who like big budget RPGs with hardly any environmental interactivity and a decent amount of player choice & reactivity—they’re called BioWare fans.

Yep

Also the game is like a less janky Fallout cos it either misses many gameplay/immersive sim systems of gamebyro or has under-developed ones. They didn't do a proper clone, if they'd tried they wouldn't have made it in 3 years. When you fully commit to cloning gamebyro, it takes twice as much time and the result is still janky af(KDC). This is only good IF they are gonna add missing systems in the future/build up on this game, otherwise they'd have been better off going full Mass Effect.

I think its pointless to make bethesda style looking RPG and not utilizing simulation elements.

---
In addition to "NPCs going about their day"'s immersion, sim elements that NV utilized off the top of my head: Being required to talk to/deal with somebody at a certain time/when they are at their post/doing certain activity. Pickpocketing NPCs who have real inventories that you can get important quest items. Waiting to steal stuff at a time when no one's around(there are some collectibles in TOW that there is no way not to get caught stealing them). NPCs moving to places in real time(that Zoe chick in Edgewater stands still after convincing her to return f.i.) etc.

There was a quest in Skyrim about interrupting a courier with a schedule to run to certain places in certain days. I love it when they use the game's core strengths in quests to this extent, which is very rare. And if you won't intend to do that, why bother, go full Bioware instead of scratching your balls in the middle of the road.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Lets be honest people, if this game wasn't released by Obsidian, this thread would have 1/3 of the size it has now, I only gave a shit about this game because of the supposed promise of being New Vegas on space and Tim and Boyarsky being involved. It turned out to be budget Fallout 4 on space with vestiges of New Vegas, then my interest dropped alot. Right now I'm just lamenting the opportunity lost and confirming that one of the few sources of incline on RPGs is truly dry at this point. I'm more shitposting about being butthurt that the incline dev list just got one name shorter.
One of the sources dry out but no reason to lament it , 4+ more opened, owlcat (despite releasing bugged unfinished piece of shit ), Za/UM (the pretentious cunts behind disco ) , Tactical adventure (solasta),Ceres games (realms beyond), oh there's colony ship coming too , the extremely promising ostranaut too , spires of sorcery . And those sources provide serious rpgs, not gamebryo stuff with guns. If their games sell they will likely produce more.

Hot Coldman

Educated
You think Morrowind is shit? As far as open world cRPGs that don't hold your hand with waypoints etc, its one of the
best. It's a more lived-in and has more detailed world more interesting lore than TOW, that's for sure. To each to their
own.

Reinhardt

Arcane
You think Morrowind is shit? As far as open world cRPGs that don't hold your hand with waypoints etc, its one of the
best. It's a more lived-in and has more detailed world more interesting lore than TOW, that's for sure. To each to their
own.
It's proto-oblivion without guns.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat

You must have been reading different DE thread than me. I seem to recall 30 pages of meltdowns over the world faggot, 20 pages of metldowns whether the game tries to convert people to communism, and 40 pages of debate about what is an RPG. But yes, it's much worse here. :D
:deathclaw:
Are you that dumb? You are talking about the pre release thread,not the post release one. The fuck are you comparing them,it lacks any logic lol! As if the pre release thread of TOW was not filled with 200 pages of stupidity?!?! Are you actually trying to shill this shit or have you gone mental?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Morrowind is a boring walking simulator. Who cares about how immersive it is when the story sucks, the combat sucks, and the "characters" are one-dimensional.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Hot Coldman

Educated
Morrowind is a boring walking simulator. Who cares about how immersive it is when the story sucks, the combat sucks, and the "characters" are one-dimensional.

Why does the combat suck? The combat uses dice roll mechanic.
So if you don't create a guy who already has a little combat experience, you miss things in the beginning
until you get better.

What do you want? Cool cinematic kills?

DeepOcean

Arcane
own.
The setting is the best, the combat mechanics are dog shit and the simulation is a big decline from Daggerfall. The setting is so fucking good that managed to be codex top 10 despite the dog shit gameplay. Julian Lefay and the old Bethesda team of Daggerfall are the true creators of Elders Scrolls while that midget pretender stole their deserved recognition.

Hot Coldman

Educated
own.
The setting is the best, the combat mechanics are dog shit and the simulation is a big decline from Daggerfall. The setting is so fucking good that managed to be codex top 10 despite the dog shit gameplay. Julian Lefay and the old Bethesda team of Daggerfall are the true creators of Elders Scrolls while that midget pretender stole their deserved recognition.

Morrowind combat is shit, Fallout 2 combat is shit. Everything is shit. Still two good PC RPGs though.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

The story doesn't suck. The presentation of the story kind of sucks though.

Prime Junta

The setting is so fucking good that managed to be codex top 10 despite the dog shit gameplay.

This. The Morrowind setting is just fucking brilliant, and beautifully realised in the game too. There's something unique and wild and cool to discover behind every corner, and it feels like it never ends. It remains a mystery to me how they could go so fast from this to the utterly generic Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom