Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

jf8350143

Liturgist
Is there even a cash sink in this game? The only thing I have spent cash on was a quest item for 10.000 bits - that's it.

I still have 15.000 bits and a ton of unsold gear stowed away on Unreliable. Please don't tell me I was collecting all of this garbage for naught. :argh:
Upgrade weapon to a much higher level costs a lot. But there is no reason to do it unless you want to use a low level unique weapon you really like.

Efe

Erudite
only really unique weapons in the game are science weapons... and they get a huge reduction and a limit on tinker cost max

Xeon

Augur
I didn't like Science weapons that much except for the one that launches enemies in the air for a couple of seconds. Tho I didn't use the melee weapons so I am not sure how good they are.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Maybe Obsidian doesn't realize that nobody plays these games for the gameplay. They play for escapism, and Outer Worlds doesn't want you to escape into its universe, it wants you to chuckle at it. The game is lacking in the immersive qualities that excuse the mediocrity of Bethesda games. You never notice the little things till they're gone. I find myself wishing for half-assed features. The amount of blah is off the charts. Blah/10. The game's insistence on being funny means I'm being kept at arm's length. How am I supposed to roleplay in a world where everyone I meet is dying to be cheeky at me. Figuratively and literally you can't live in the world(s). You're stuck on a particular ship you can't customize. And there are exactly zero husbandos. ZERO. Why even adventure if there's no one to go home to. Then there's the C&C. Woo, comically oppressive corporatists vs comically stupid anarchists. They're both so obnoxious it makes you want to side with your gun. I'm almost pleading for the nuance of HATE NEWSPAPERS. Also the purple filter gives me a headache. The hair dye of your writers shouldn't seep into the art direction. Obsidian is lucky this game released during a drought.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I hate this game so much I started a new playthrough already as a freedom loving pirate pistol focused gunslinger. The game is a LOT better this way. Not saying it's great or anything, but a lot better. The combat lends itself to fast paced from the hip blasting, and the dialogue lends itself to "fuck you corporate slave!" If anything this makes me see the game as MORE flawed though, since it should be J.E. Sawyer balanced for different playstyles.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Been kinda on a slow progress for a week on this but whenever I'm playing I'm finishinh a hub at least and I have about 20 very slow hours of snooping around and finishing every content I come across. After finishing roseway I think it's kinda growing old on me. Factions aren't that scarce, and mostly, I don't really feel engaged enough to care about the main story. I mean I think the game ticks many good stuff that I'd wish for a bigger RPG and hell I think structure wise this is similar to what I'd think a 3D remake of Fallout would be, but the content is so scarce, level design is denent but I don't really feel that my build is having any unique experience than any other.
I like some lines from here and there but I'm uninterested most of the time about what's happening in the game. Reactivity is pretty good and the game really kept track of some stuff I casually forgot about like having an NPC commenting on what I'm wearing or even listening to what they say when they visit their home hub again, or even when I'm using a certain skill. I still find the combat decent enough compared to any Obsidian game aiming for the wider audience but there are disappointing decisions like lumping the bullets in 3 categories which takes out a lot of the feel of character building and the inclusion of the party skills beside the continuation of the stupid loot system which magically grants you bonus skills if you magically wore it and the dumb perk system.
The writing, while competent enough in some aspects, still very boring and uninteresting except some missions and interactions.

I don't fault Leonard and Tim a lot regarding what's happening with the game and I think it's doing many right things but Obsidian really needs a new pack of good writers.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Is there even a cash sink in this game? The only thing I have spent cash on was a quest item for 10.000 bits - that's it.

I still have 15.000 bits and a ton of unsold gear stowed away on Unreliable. Please don't tell me I was collecting all of this garbage for naught. :argh:

Tinker

Deleted Member 16721

The consensus, aka the Fluent's Choice opinion, is that the game is bloody amazing, especially on Supernova. I'm having a blast with it. The characters are memorable, the presentation and music is beautiful, the gameplay is fun and the RPG elements are on point. 9.5/10 for real, it's really good.

Prime Junta

The consensus, aka the Fluent's Choice opinion, is that the game is bloody amazing, especially on Supernova. I'm having a blast with it. The characters are memorable, the presentation and music is beautiful, the gameplay is fun and the RPG elements are on point. 9.5/10 for real, it's really good.

Oh Fluent.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yep, Supernova is where you have to actually pay attention to weapon choice, stealth options to thin out crowds etc. cause of character permadeath(even on normal when you can easily run rampant, they tend to 'die' so you have to babysit and give the right commands in Supernova. Only thing is there's still too much loot and weaponry/ammo around. This really needs to be dialed down even in normal, never mind Supernova as it makes it all too easy to never run out of ammo and crafting materials to upgrade things.

I started on 'normal' as was wary of the Obsidian QA, but after a dozen hours and it being rock solid, was time to restart on Supernova.

Deleted Member 16721

Yep, Supernova is where you have to actually pay attention to weapon choice, stealth options to thin out crowds etc. cause of character permadeath(even on normal when you can easily run rampant, they tend to 'die' so you have to babysit and give the right commands in Supernova. Only thing is there's still too much loot and weaponry/ammo around. This really needs to be dialed down even in normal, never mind Supernova as it makes it all too easy to never run out of ammo and crafting materials to upgrade things.

I started on 'normal' as was wary of the Obsidian QA, but after a dozen hours and it being rock solid, was time to restart on Supernova.

I disagree. On Supernova I'm hurting for ammo, and I can't afford to buy it since I'm low on bits. They give you weapons and all but the ammo is harder to come by. I'm having a blast on Supernova because of the resource management for that reason.

Prime Junta

I can't help it if you can't recognize greatness when you play it. :) Most reviews generally agree with me, too.

Fluent. Bro. If your review scale goes from 9.0 to 10.0 then it really doesn't mean all that much.

Anyway, since you also like Oblivion and Skyrim it's clear that you're basically a happy puppy who's delighted if there's a bouncy ball to chase. I wouldn't take a ball away from a puppy until they get really annoying about it, but you should understand that some of us want something more out of a game than that.

Deleted Member 16721

Fluent. Bro. If your review scale goes from 9.0 to 10.0 then it really doesn't mean all that much.

Anyway, since you also like Oblivion and Skyrim it's clear that you're basically a happy puppy who's delighted if there's a bouncy ball to chase. I wouldn't take a ball away from a puppy until they get really annoying about it, but you should understand that some of us want something more out of a game than that.

You're looking in the wrong place then. Ken Rolston said it nicely, if you want deep characters and life-changing stuff, read a book. A game is akin to a sonnet. I don't see other games providing as much depth as TOW and I'm getting everything I want out of it. Your expectations are too high.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

I disagree. On Supernova I'm hurting for ammo, and I can't afford to buy it since I'm low on bits. They give you weapons and all but the ammo is harder to come by. I'm having a blast on Supernova because of the resource management for that reason.

I dunno...still seems like a lot...but then I just came from the Normal, so I tend to remember where most of the stashes are on the first planet....maybe later it gets harder with the spongier stuff. Though I like how I can't just zigzag and wipe out everything while taking the scenic route from A to B like on Normal. You actually have to avoid encounters to conserve ammo and survive.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I can't help it if you can't recognize greatness when you play it. :) Most reviews generally agree with me, too.

Like CYOA right? :roll:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I enjoy well written, grasping storyline like most people do.

But first and foremost I treat computer games as entertainment... and tend to evaluate them as such.

Prime Junta

You're looking in the wrong place then. Ken Rolston said it nicely, if you want deep characters and life-changing stuff, read a book.

I refuse to accept that games as a medium cannot rise above mindless entertainment. Exhibit A: Planescape: Torment. Exhibit B: Disco Elysium. Exhibit C: Fallout. Exhibit D: Arcanum. I could list a quite a few more off the top of my head.

A game is akin to a sonnet. I don't see other games providing as much depth as TOW and I'm getting everything I want out of it. Your expectations are too high.

Clearly they're too high because TOW didn't meet them. But that's kind of an oxymoron.

I can list a quite a lot of games that do clear that bar, however, and several of them had Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky in the opening credits. I'm not chasing some impossible Platonic ideal here, there are real games that really manage this in a fairly wide variety of genres (and yes commie CYOA is one such genre), and I would really like to see more of them.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Then you just suck at playing. Whenever I watched Cohh play the game on Supernova he was running around with 1000+ extra ammo values.

Deleted Member 16721

I refuse to accept that games as a medium cannot rise above mindless entertainment. Exhibit A: Planescape: Torment. Exhibit B: Disco Elysium. Exhibit C: Fallout. Exhibit D: Arcanum. I could list a quite a few more off the top of my head.

Clearly they're too high because TOW didn't meet them. But that's kind of an oxymoron.

I can list a quite a lot of games that do clear that bar, however, and several of them had Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky in the opening credits. I'm not chasing some impossible Platonic ideal here, there are real games that really manage this in a fairly wide variety of genres (and yes commie CYOA is one such genre), and I would really like to see more of them.

TOW is not mindless. A sonnet is not mindless. PS:T, DE and Fallout and Arcanum are great games, but come on. I recently played Fallout 1 for the first time and enjoyed myself, but it's not some super amazing thing. I easily get just as much enjoyment out of TOW. The games are not *that* different in quality.

You are chasing some impossible standard, because everything in TOW is quality. I'm saying that objectively without bias - the game is quality in and out. I'm still in Emerald Vale so that opinion can change, but I've been nothing short of impressed so far. I guess the bottom line is I am able to enjoy games for what they are rather than looking for some extraordinarily meaningful vibes in them. To me they are meaningful *enough*.

Deleted Member 16721

Then you just suck at playing. Whenever I watched Cohh play the game on Supernova he was running around with 1000+ extra ammo values.

Maybe light ammo so far, but heavy ammo is few and far between in the starting region. It's entirely possible I suck at the game, I died a ton on Supernova so far, so that's a possibility. But so far I'm enjoying the resource management a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom