Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Tigranes

Arcane
"I'm saying that objectively without bias - the game is quality in and out"

Fluent You don't know what "objective" or "bias" is, do you?

In fact, I don't mind that you enjoy TOW or Skyrim. It would be churlish, and rather pointless, for me to gripe about how you don't share our tastes and standards.

By the same token, though, enjoying every other release on the market doesn't make you a happier, more objective, unbiased wise man. (Though it probably does put you above people who say they hate Fallout 4/TOW/etc then spend 50 hours on it.) Your yardstick isn't one for everybody.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Then you just suck at playing. Whenever I watched Cohh play the game on Supernova he was running around with 1000+ extra ammo values.

Maybe light ammo so far, but heavy ammo is few and far between in the starting region. It's entirely possible I suck at the game, I died a ton on Supernova so far, so that's a possibility. But so far I'm enjoying the resource management a lot.
My advice is to always check vending machines because there may be just one proper vendor NPC with ammo in a given area but 5 machines, all of them with ammo as well. I've played using heavy weapons so light ammo for instance was, at first when my only heavy weapon was LMG and then when I've got LMG mk2, a problem, so that's the easy way out of it. Also all weapon classes have a weapon type for every kind of ammo which helps.

Prime Junta

You are chasing some impossible standard, because everything in TOW is quality. I'm saying that objectively without bias - the game is quality in and out. I'm still in Emerald Vale so that opinion can change, but I've been nothing short of impressed so far. I guess the bottom line is I am able to enjoy games for what they are rather than looking for some extraordinarily meaningful vibes in them. To me they are meaningful *enough*.

You also think T:ToN is a worthy successor to PS:T. In other words it's fairly clear to us that you simply can't tell if something is good or not. Whether it's from an innately sunny disposition or those ancient Oriental meditation techniques you use to switch off your discriminating mind, I can't tell but it doesn't make much difference either.

I'll tell you this though: if you see that all is love, you should see that this criticism comes from love too: love for the genre, love for us who appreciate it, love for the creators who strive to do something they love and leave their mark on the world through it. And that last part leads to pain and sadness if it's clear they're no longer doing it out of love.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
TTON is good though Prime....though I would refrain from Fluent's hyperbole....but it's good to find something to like in general in games. I certainly am not getting vibes of the golden age of the 90's (or early 2000's for some specific examples), but I have learned to give games a bit more slack and enjoy them for what they are(tm) without irony.

Are these things I would play over and over? No. Once or maybe twice if there is a vast difference in outcome as in Witcher 2 for example...but for me modern games tend to be the 'intermission' between replays of the stuff from the past, where I can put a bit of a break between to feel a bit fresher.

Noone is going to take FO1 or MM3 or Pools of Radiance(1988) from me, or SS2, Thief, Gothic....etc. but I need to put some distance before another run :D

Deleted Member 16721

You also think T:ToN is a worthy successor to PS:T. In other words it's fairly clear to us that you simply can't tell if something is good or not. Whether it's from an innately sunny disposition or those ancient Oriental meditation techniques you use to switch off your discriminating mind, I can't tell but it doesn't make much difference either.

I'll tell you this though: if you see that all is love, you should see that this criticism comes from love too: love for the genre, love for us who appreciate it, love for the creators who strive to do something they love and leave their mark on the world through it. And that last part leads to pain and sadness if it's clear they're no longer doing it out of love.

Why are you speaking like you are the Ultimate Decision Maker of Quality when it comes to games? Who said Torment isn't good, a loud vocal minority on the Codex? The game actually reviewed quite well with multiple outlets giving it 10/10s. Maybe YOU are the one who can't determine what is good or not, eh?

Second, I admit I don't love negative attitudes. There's nothing in this game that is bad to me, I'm enjoying it a lot and can see it was a labor of love from its developers. Love for the genre is one thing, but trashing a game is something I don't approve of. If you can't recognize the love poured into this game I can't understand what you're seeing, or not seeing. Tim and Leonard did a damn fine job and the reviews and popularity of the game are proving that.

Deleted Member 16721

"I'm saying that objectively without bias - the game is quality in and out"

Fluent You don't know what "objective" or "bias" is, do you?

In fact, I don't mind that you enjoy TOW or Skyrim. It would be churlish, and rather pointless, for me to gripe about how you don't share our tastes and standards.

By the same token, though, enjoying every other release on the market doesn't make you a happier, more objective, unbiased wise man. (Though it probably does put you above people who say they hate Fallout 4/TOW/etc then spend 50 hours on it.) Your yardstick isn't one for everybody.

Never said it did. I am happy because I enjoy things and vice versa. The wisdom I do have has to do with knowledge I've been taught by the master Moojiji Baba. It really changed my life.

My advice is to always check vending machines because there may be just one proper vendor NPC with ammo in a given area but 5 machines, all of them with ammo as well. I've played using heavy weapons so light ammo for instance was, at first when my only heavy weapon was LMG and then when I've got LMG mk2, a problem, so that's the easy way out of it. Also all weapon classes have a weapon type for every kind of ammo which helps.

Thanks Sheep! :salute:
An autistic child.

I'm not autistic, but you might be. I think you're projecting because I've noticed autism from your posts. Nothing wrong with autism though, I am patient.

Prime Junta

Why are you speaking like you are the Ultimate Decision Maker of Quality when it comes to games?

You mean... I'm not? :(

Short-term popularity is not a very good indicator of quality. Lasting popularity is a much better one. And I'm prepared to bet you dollars for doughnuts that 10 years from now, Fallout: New Vegas will still be played and loved, whereas TOW will have fallen into ... Oblivion.

trashing a game is something I don't approve of

Clearly. And that explains why you're so uncomfortable on the Codex at times.

I think you're kind of sweet and very silly in the nearly completely indiscriminate way you wag your tail at any new game. However you do need to understand and accept that some of us really do see things differently without having any malice for the devs or ulterior motives. I'm not mad at Tim, Leonard, or Chris. I'm sad that they appear to have burned out creatively but seem to be stuck making games only because that's the only thing they know.

Moojiji Baba

Not a Shri Shri? :decline:

Edit: looked up Mooji Baba. He's apparently the 37th most spiritually influential person alive in 2019, just after Ruby Wax. :incline:

Deleted Member 16721

You mean... I'm not? :(

Short-term popularity is not a very good indicator of quality. Lasting popularity is a much better one. And I'm prepared to bet you dollars for doughnuts that 10 years from now, Fallout: New Vegas will still be played and loved, whereas TOW will have fallen into ... Oblivion.

Clearly. And that explains why you're so uncomfortable on the Codex at times.

I think you're kind of sweet and very silly in the nearly completely indiscriminate way you wag your tail at any new game. However you do need to understand and accept that some of us really do see things differently without having any malice for the devs or ulterior motives. I'm not mad at Tim, Leonard, or Chris. I'm sad that they appear to have burned out creatively but seem to be stuck making games only because that's the only thing they know.

Not a Shri Shri? :decline:

Edit: looked up Mooji Baba. He's apparently the 37th most spiritually influential person alive in 2019, just after Ruby Wax. :incline:

And I guarantee people will still be playing TOW. Even at that, NV was a triple A title. Even a 10 year old Mercedes Benz is going to be enjoyed and is still a nice car. TOW is a flashy 2019 Mustang, it will still be enjoyed in 10 years too.

The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is the constant bashing of games here. Look through this thread and I guarantee you could count the number of positive comments on one hand. Compare it to something like resetera which is almost all positive. Too many edgy people here who secretly hate games.

To say they are creatively burned out is crazy. Are we all playing the same game???

Fluent just use a lot of drugs because of his failed music career, this game is boring and souless.

I don't have a failed music career, in fact quite the opposite. I still have a following despite not giving it my all. I do drugs for fun, keep up bro. :)

Felix

Arcane
You talked otherwise on the shoutbox a month back.

Did Jinn unignore you yet?

Last edited:

Prime Junta

And I guarantee people will still be playing TOW. Even at that, NV was a triple A title. Even a 10 year old Mercedes Benz is going to be enjoyed and is still a nice car. TOW is a flashy 2019 Mustang, it will still be enjoyed in 10 years too.

We'll see in 10 years, I guess.

The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is the constant bashing of games here. Look through this thread and I guarantee you could count the number of positive comments on one hand. Compare it to something like resetera which is almost all positive. Too many edgy people here who secretly hate games.

Sure, there's some edgetard bashing here too, but there is also a lot of intelligent criticism.

Strangely, you don't seem to be able to tell the difference between those two either. How could that be?

To say they are creatively burned out is crazy. Are we all playing the same game???

At this point I'm willing to entertain the possibility that we're not. Maybe you've been playing Fallout: New Vegas all along and are just too high to notice?

I do drugs for fun

Deleted Member 16721

You talked otherwise on the shoutbox a month back.

Did Jinn unignore you yet?

No, Jinn and I are too much alike that I get on his nerves. His loss. :)

We'll see in 10 years, I guess.

Sure, there's some edgetard bashing here too, but there is also a lot of intelligent criticism.

Strangely, you don't seem to be able to tell the difference between those two either. How could that be?

At this point I'm willing to entertain the possibility that we're not. Maybe you've been playing Fallout: New Vegas all along and are just too high to notice?

Intelligent criticism is fine but people also have to keep in mind this was a low budget AA game. How much can you really criticize it?

I enjoy NV as much as anyone but TOW is just as fun in other ways. It gives the feeling it's bigger than it really is and on Supernova difficulty it is like playing a very tough survival sim. I also haven't seen anyone mention its similarities to Bloodlines in the immersive sim department. I think it evokes feelings of both the original Fallout and Bloodlines.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Compare it to something like resetera which is almost all positive. Too many edgy people here who secretly hate games.

Last time I checked Resetera's TOW thread I noticed a surprising amount of people telling that game loses most of its luster 5-10 hours in and leaving due to boredom. They are just lot less abrasive about it with a good old "it is nice game but such complicated WRPG is not for me".

Lambach

Arcane
Intelligent criticism is fine but people also have to keep in mind this was a low budget AA game. How much can you really criticize it?

The things TOW fails at cannot be fixed by just throwing more money at it. Matter of fact, it might've turned out even worse with AAA money behind it, as the investors would've sought a high ROI, so you would've seen all the money-milking shite present in modern AAA monstrosities present here as well.

I also haven't seen anyone mention its similarities to Bloodlines in the immersive sim department.

:planetickets:

nigga imma stab u

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I’m sure if I went melee and took all the TTD perks my MC could just walk around OHKO’ing people in the head (and getting TTD back per kill).

Thats exactly what started happening around monarch stage of the game for me, and melee gameplay is significantly more fun thanks to said perks (and an armor mod that increases your move speed in TTD even more)

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
I for one haven't criticised anything that would materially impact the budget.
Don't fall for this old as world classic obsidian excuse and whine. The budget is not that small since we actually got a first person 3d action rpg with lots of exposition and voice acting, first. And second, the budget question is a Private Division's headache.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom