Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Retard,it is a bunch of big words meaning nothing. Every time is the same,epic and the publisher say that they sold good or above expectations,then half a year later some dev leaks that it wasn't actually true. Either show some hard data or fuck off shill!
Sony and MS can't really BS 100% when physical distribution is still high on consoles, distributors give a good indication of sales figures. Figures on PC here are no doubt muddy and likely lower than consoles due to Epic. Any data is probably from "Game-Pass sales" (Microsoft looking at Windows & Xbox as one platform).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
More Deus Ex / VtmB level execution is all that's needed for the shorter cRPGs, more like that would be great. Polygon game-urinalists thinking the bar set by Outer Worlds in any way reaches those is laughable.

As you said before, it would have been a lot better if they made a Deus Ex style game, with the budget and areas they had. I would guess they wanted to capitalize on New Vegas' popularity at the same time though, leading to the mix we got.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
OK game started to get crashy at finale its time to unsub from Platform and uninstall (I will watch ending on Juice-tube). Must admit I did preferred Rosarium the best, still can't think why they put some many towns in game only to use them one time and never (aside from some companion quests) return to them. They should instead make game on planet where proles live, make really long quest chain to obtain transport to space station/satelite where elites resides a and then to Space Ship which brought them all in search of this mac-guffin which should save all (or at least factions you backed in game) this way we would not get game which thousand miles wide and foot deep. Its not New Vegas it sure ain't Bloodlines but its still better than Fallout 76 and 4 so congratulations for Obsidian for finally making commercially successful title even if its really something not made for Commissar or white straight men.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
out of curiosity i dropped the resolution 720p and set all of the graphical settings to low and lowered the Resolution scale to 50%, to see if the intermittent frame-drops when walking around areas were the game or my rig.

It's the game.

Even at 720/low/50% resolution scale, when walking around Edgewater town, I'd still get occasional frame drops as *something* is loaded while I was walking around the town.

It's aggravating.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i5 8400 / gtx 1060 / 16gb ram / nvme ssd

you gotta have a very high IQ to understand proper frame-pacing tho :kingcomrade:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played it on a mix of ultra and high to get 100+fps and never experienced stutter except for a couple seconds immediately after a load screen.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I believe you never felt like it dropped a frame.

Most people aren't very sensitive to this, nor do they play with a graph on screen. fanta is another one who swears he has never had a dropped-frame in any game ever. I envy you guys.

Efe

Erudite
performance is very uneven from what ive seen. while you may average at 65 fps, its constantly fluctuating between 45-85 which feels terrible

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I vsinc-locked it at 60 (QHD) on ultras and game never stattered or dipped below 60 on my 2 year old GTX1080. It also seem to have some minor memory leak but nowhere as brutal like one in Deadfire. It took ~5 hours without restart to notice performance deterioration with 32 GB RAM. I noticed it only because I got 40 fps at Byzantium, thought "wow too good for my gpu" and tried to restart.

Efe

Erudite
so you have flagship card of previous generation and didnt notice any dips @60fps?
supposed to be informative?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
out of curiosity i dropped the resolution 720p and set all of the graphical settings to low and lowered the Resolution scale to 50%, to see if the intermittent frame-drops when walking around areas were the game or my rig.

It's the game.

Even at 720/low/50% resolution scale, when walking around Edgewater town, I'd still get occasional frame drops as *something* is loaded while I was walking around the town.

It's aggravating.
With gtx 660, it's completely fine. And I can be even on medium. (with most things)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i feel i need to clarify something. Generally speaking I get around 60-80fps in TOW at 1080p, mainly because I cap it at 80fps which is my display's max refresh rate (i use vsync, need that smoothness).

Ok, so if the game does 60-80fps, and it only drops to low 60s when it is in a heavy area, it stands to reason that if I were to suddenly cap the framerate to 30 it should then never, ever dip below 30... right? Because even in a heavy area it was doing low 60fps, so capping it to 30 should mean that it will always then remain at 30fps.

...Except the game doesn't. When running around it will sometimes drop 1 or 2 frames, dipping from 30fps to 28 or 27. THAT is what I mean by frame-drops. It should never drop frames when it's already in a performant state, in my example under the 30fps cap. If a game does something like this then it means it's dropping frames and it's not related to the actual performance, since the frame rate is already so low that it would never reach that frame bottom.

That's how you know a game has bad frame-pacing. Normal, well-performing games, don't behave like this: a normal well-performing game, which averages 60-80fps, if capped to 30 would then never, ever dip a single frame below 30.

That's what I mean by frame-pacing, or by "frame drops". The fact that a game fluctuates between it's normal frame averages, in my case between 60-80, is NOT considered "Frame dropping". that's just normal operation.

People aren't looking for this and rarely notice it.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
supposed to be informative?

I actually do not think that such frame drops had anything to do with GPU's raw power, like 720p experiment shows.

I noticed similar behavior on my previous GTX770 - when game has its own Vsync + it switched on in Nvidia control panel globally they sometime, I do not know, overlap and cause statters/tearing/frame drops. In result, I often switched off Vsync everywhere and used Afterburner to force fps cap.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Retard,it is a bunch of big words meaning nothing. Every time is the same,epic and the publisher say that they sold good or above expectations,then half a year later some dev leaks that it wasn't actually true. Either show some hard data or fuck off shill!

NPD doesn't give hard data to the public anymore (their statistics are meant for business analysts in the first place), except general numbers of software and hardware sales (for a few years now). So, you're not going to get exact numbers.It's also not measuring sold units, but hard cash value.

So, the only hard fact here is, as I said, that Outer Worlds was the second best selling game in october in the US. That's a fact. What that means, we don't know. It could be that Modern Warfare ate up all game sales in the month and every other game sold horribly. That's possible by all accounts.

They are officialy recognized though (not just for videogames, but for sales data in general).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I believe you never felt like it dropped a frame.

Most people aren't very sensitive to this, nor do they play with a graph on screen. fanta is another one who swears he has never had a dropped-frame in any game ever. I envy you guys.

Dude, I actually am sensitive to framerates and have a g-sync monitor and set the game lower to get 100fps for this reason. Don't assume people with a different experience are ignorant. You said stutter... I get no stutter. I do get drops in framerates in certain areas (Byzantium and Stellar Bay pretty much, nowhere else I remember). My typical 100-120fps would drop to 70-80 in those cities. This is different from stutter. I get no stutter, or sudden drops that quickly go back up. Very consistent performance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom