Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Other than TOW and Disco, the rest are Monster Hunder world(last year TGA's best RPG)'s DLC, kingdom hearts 3 and FF14(an Online game). Last year it has 4 RPGs in the list while the only one that aren't win.

I really don't get it why they include Monster Hunter and MMORPGs in RPG list every year. They should've be on best online game or whatever.
Perhaps is because lack of actual RPG each year.. Idk just doens't make sense.

Low-key i want to KH3 to win just to see rampage.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Other than TOW and Disco, the rest are Monster Hunder world(last year TGA's best RPG)'s DLC, kingdom hearts 3 and FF14(an Online game). Last year it has 4 RPGs in the list while the only one that aren't win.

I really don't get it why they include Monster Hunter and MMORPGs in RPG list every year. They should've be on best online game or whatever.

I won't be surprised if KH 3 wins. They give it to Monster Hunter last year.

The Real Fanboy
Leonard Boyarsky: Having been the main writer on Max, I’m partial to his pairings with the other companions.

So based Leon wrote Max? Well doesn't that explain a lot.

Btw Megan just did an interview where she said she co-wrote Max so it makes even so much more sense why he's so must-have in your Unreliable gang!

(Sam was the other character she wrote)

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

I won't be surprised if KH 3 wins. They give it to Monster Hunter last year.

i never understood jrpgs. maybe i'm just a degenerate freak cause i don't see the appeal of playing some girl armed with a shitty wooden sword fighting the same mushroom enemies over and over again for like 10 hours straight

The Real Fanboy
And sorry to double (kind of triple) post but Xbox has a new tv ad for game pass and Outer Worlds is first boasted
g0gRYio.png
!!!

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Just bought it, ran it, had to quit after less than 10 minutes of gameplay. Never had issues with motion sickness in any game, but this thing hit me like a brick as soon as I started moving. What's up with that? Anyway, found a bunch of threads and posts from other people complaining. Think I fixed it well enough. Still, crazy!

don't hold it against me but i don't trust your critique for grimoire, but that's because i'm super patient when it comes to blobbers. although, a few other people i talk to said it's just far inferior compared to f:nv in terms of world-building and quest design so ehhhhhh
i'll hold it against you and i'll even smear it all over your face. in a minute or two, or twenty, i'll come back with a quote of my first post here.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...leonard-boyarsky.130421/page-142#post-6387620

less than 2 minutes.

and grimoire is retarded shit for tryhard oldfags who keep eating fossilized shit just because it's old. technology advanced, the future is now, old men.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

don't hold it against me but i don't trust your critique for grimoire, but that's because i'm super patient when it comes to blobbers. although, a few other people i talk to said it's just far inferior compared to f:nv in terms of world-building and quest design so ehhhhhh
i'll hold against you and i'll even smear it all over your face. in a minute or two, or twenty, i'll come back with a quote of my first post here.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...leonard-boyarsky.130421/page-142#post-6387620

less than 2 minutes.

good stuff. i might as well just stick with deus ex or new vegas or whatever

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Obsidian said:
The Prismatic Hammer has been rebalanced.

Rebalancing weapons in a singleplayer game because you cannot into playtesting it... wait a moment, I thought Sawyer was not involved anymore?

Obsidian. Obsidian never changes...:obviously:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Rebalancing weapons in a singleplayer game because you cannot into playtesting it... wait a moment, I thought Sawyer was not involved anymore?

Rebalancing a weapon in an SP game is not only fine, but it is also essential.

People who think an SP game shouldn't be balanced are crazy: imagine if you create your character in an RPG and immediately after starting someone comes up to you and gives you the best sword and the best armor in the entire game, and you play the entire rest of the game and you never once find something as good... then the game's balance is broken, and now this "SP game" is has become completely unfulfilling to play because large areas of the design have been nullified, you won't have good combat since you begin the game with the best sword and armor and will breeze thru everything, you won't have good exploration because there will never be tension, and you won't have good itemization or a good power curve so the satisfaction of overcoming obstacles will not be present.

When you use an extreme example like that it is painfully obvious that "balance" matters just as much in an SP game as it does in any other kind of game, if not MORE.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Game balance is like a puzzle. It's OK for there to be a solution to the puzzle (in fact, that's generally the point), but it shouldn't be easy to discover the solution. When all of your players independently recognize that stealth archer is the best, your puzzle is too easy.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I always like to bring up fighting games when talking about muh balanse:

- in a good fighting game every single character needs to have fully unique move sets, however each move set has to work under specific universal rules. Even if you don't know how to use character A, you should be able to eventually learn why character A can do what he does based off what you've learnt by using character B.

- in a fighting game all of the fighters need to be "fun" to use, and this is incredibly hard to define or explain. Some enjoy doing certain strategies more than others, which is why some like to use a character whose strength lies in throwing projectiles and keeping the enemy "out", while others prefer using a grappler-type who HAS to obligatorily close in: the spectale happens when both players know what the other guy's game plan is, the projectile player knows the grappler player has to "get in", and the grappler player knows the projectile guy will want to "stay out", so this is when the player skill and knowledge of the universal rules comes into play and all sorts of different strategies are employed that the people who designed the character archetypes didn't necessarily take into account.

- and lastly, in a fighting game all characters need to be viable. If there is one character who is obviously and painfully simply better than the other characters, then regardless of how much "fun" you have using one guy, if you want to win you'll use the overpowered/unbalanced/broken characters.

And that last one is the one I think applies closest to he heart of RPG "balance", because you can draw a straight parallel to character builds. Each fighting game character has to be viable yet simultaenously unique and different from each other and no character can be obviously better than any other while still each one being fun to use.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
maybe. i don't feel like fucking with the game pass service. i might buy TOW for like 15 dollars in a year or something because i'm hoping it'll have an expansion pack with far better quests

It is literally free if you sign up, finish the game within a month and then cancel the service.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Game balance is like a puzzle. It's OK for there to be a solution to the puzzle (in fact, that's generally the point), but it shouldn't be easy to discover the solution. When all of your players independently recognize that stealth archer is the best, your puzzle is too easy.

That's... beautifully put. I wholeheartedly agree!

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
Now that the patch is finally out to fix a major bug, I can continue playing, but I feel absolutely no motivation to do so.

:negative:

Efe

Erudite
People who think an SP game shouldn't be balanced are crazy: imagine if you create your character in an RPG and immediately after starting someone comes up to you and gives you the best sword and the best armor in the entire game....
there are many games that give you the all powerful or end game viable weapons from the start.
hes right that it tells a lot about their QA when they have to nerf something when they have barely have a dozen unique guns.
also stop being fluent.

Viata

Arcane
People who think an SP game shouldn't be balanced are crazy: imagine if you create your character in an RPG and immediately after starting someone comes up to you and gives you the best sword and the best armor in the entire game....
Ultima 7 has the best weapons just at the beginning of the game.

Bliblablubb

Arcane

Rebalancing a weapon in an SP game is not only fine, but it is also essential.

People who think an SP game shouldn't be balanced are crazy: imagine if you create your character in an RPG and immediately after starting someone comes up to you and gives you the best sword and the best armor in the entire game, and you play the entire rest of the game and you never once find something as good... then the game's balance is broken, and now this "SP game" is has become completely unfulfilling to play because large areas of the design have been nullified, you won't have good combat since you begin the game with the best sword and armor and will breeze thru everything, you won't have good exploration because there will never be tension, and you won't have good itemization or a good power curve so the satisfaction of overcoming obstacles will not be present.

When you use an extreme example like that it is painfully obvious that "balance" matters just as much in an SP game as it does in any other kind of game, if not MORE.
Uhh.... excuse me? If a game hands you an overpowered weapon right at the start that can't be matched with anything that follows, the developer responsible for it should ask himself if he shouldn't better go back to his real dayjob. And that problem should jump into every serious playtester's face right away. You are talking about having balance in a single player game, which is correct, every game should have it. But as a single player game ToW should be already balanced when it comes out. And ToW has a very limited selection of weapons or dmg related skills to take in account.
After that it's not rebalancing, but fixing mistakes they couldn't be bothered with before launch due to running out of time (hello obsidian) and cutting playtesting as a result. You know, the kind of "day one patch" behaviour we are treated with now. "Modders will fix it".
I put emphesis on the single player aspect, because with no multiplayer/pvp the only thing affected is your own experience. Don't want that much dmg? Don't inhale all the drugs. Problem solved.

"Self limitation", the key to getting the most out of your mediocre experience with Bethesda games since Lolblivion. :obviously:

The joke is on us tho, because I am convinced that one weapon in ToW was "rebalanced" for another reason:
There are only 3 reason big developers seem to bother with bugfixing these days: 1) ingame cash shop not working (mah money!), 2) game crashes on consoles (angry calls from Sony/MS), 3) you can cheese achievments (apparently serious business leading even more angry calls from Sony/MS/Steam).
And this hammer could unlock all the elemental achievements within a matter of minutes, makes you think... :hahano:

Quillon

Arcane
I'm on my second playthrough and haven't found the will to conitinue playing for a week now, if an RPG doesn't compel me to finish it at least twice its shit yeah. Hope they won't waste resources on a DLC for this. And the sequel will be the same if they don't stop/put a leash on this woke brigade in their midst.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Games are shit anyway , read books, watch movies, watch Ancient Aliens, paint, play music, listen music, make photos, sculpt, draw, learn new things, found a family, build a house, take a walk, ride a bicycle, make a trip with family, go outside with your children etc. wasting lives on games is a fuckin sin. Gaming is okay and it's great , but under 6 hours per week.
:hailcthulhu:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom