Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Not necessarily balance but RPGs are about progressing from weak to strong, so if you start out strong it saps all the fun. I want to effortlessly curb-stomp enemies but only after earning it through trial and struggle.

Wesp5

Arcane
Not necessarily balance but RPGs are about progressing from weak to strong, so if you start out strong it saps all the fun.

Indeed. Usually the enemies go from weak to strong too! In TOW the first primals are actually the most dangerous enemies in the whole game, because you don't have any decent weapons then. Afterwards it doesn't really matter, you can swap the weapons around, but normally you won't be in any danger as long as you don't fight stupidly. Which is weird on Monarch because you will probably have killed dozends of Mantiqueens already while Nyoka is still calling them special and difficult :). The balance is clearly off, also because of the free weapons and ammo you find everywhere. Speaking of which, why are the lockpicking and hacking tools lying all over the place too, shouldn't they be illegal? The itemisation really looks as if it was done by a random generator...

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which is weird on Monarch because you will probably have killed dozends of Mantiqueens already while Nyoka is still calling them special and difficult :).

Yeah, i remember this part because
when she said that we need to do all this elaborate setup after i suggested that i can just kill the thing, i expected some sort of special monster or whatever that i really cannot fight "normally". But when the actual fight happened it was just a run of the mill Mantiqueen that i killed in 2-3 swings. It was a total let down and i didn't even used drugs or any special weapons - just some random melee weapon i upgraded several times.

They didn't even bother to at least apply a different shader, double the HP and change the name to something like "Ultra Mantiqueen" - cheapest of the cheap solutions, yet still better than spawning the same monster that respawns randomly just by you walking around the map.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
In TOW the first primals are actually the most dangerous enemies in the whole game

Quite true. Only times I had trouble (playing on hard) was fighting these things and when I took the "Path north of Goodsprings" on Monarch. Rest of the game was piss easy.

Simplifying ammo to only three universal types ruins any possibility of limiting strong weapons by ammo rarity. The game needed some kind of rare combat resource like grenades or something the player would need to conserve, or make the energy weapon ammo specific to each type and *much* more rare.

Funny enough, the endgame can be pretty tough if you go in guns blazing because all the enemies have n-ray weapons that ignore defense. But using the disguise system is so easy it doesn't matter.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
FFabES2.png

:nocountryforshitposters:
Cancer.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
And sorry to double (kind of triple) post but Xbox has a new tv ad for game pass and Outer Worlds is first boasted
g0gRYio.png
!!!

Sometimes, in my dark moments, when I think about all the aborted babies who could've grown up to cure cancer, I remind myself that there are probably many more dismembered fetal Sailor Woedica's; and suddenly the world seems brighter.

Yosharian

Arcane
In TOW the first primals are actually the most dangerous enemies in the whole game

Quite true. Only times I had trouble (playing on hard) was fighting these things and when I took the "Path north of Goodsprings" on Monarch. Rest of the game was piss easy.

Simplifying ammo to only three universal types ruins any possibility of limiting strong weapons by ammo rarity. The game needed some kind of rare combat resource like grenades or something the player would need to conserve, or make the energy weapon ammo specific to each type and *much* more rare.

Funny enough, the endgame can be pretty tough if you go in guns blazing because all the enemies have n-ray weapons that ignore defense. But using the disguise system is so easy it doesn't matter.
Ammo conservation? You appear to be laboring under the illusion that it's still 1997. Developers don't 'do' ammo conservation anymore. It's too much effort. Far easier to just give the player as much ammo as they like and just make enemies into retarded bullet sponges.

Yosharian

Arcane
Sometimes, in my dark moments, when I think about all the aborted babies who could've grown up to cure cancer, I remind myself that there are probably many more dismembered fetal Sailor Woedica's; and suddenly the world seems brighter.
"Think about how dumb the average person is, and then remember that 50% of the world's population is dumber than that. Then remember that Sailor Woedica is dumber than all of those people."
- George Carlin

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Goddamn, even GTA 4 had theater. How embarrassing that rpgs 10 years later aren't including feature-length plays.

Alfons

Prophet
Fallout new vegas is one of my favorite games and this game made me appreciate what a great setting fallout has., when I play this it reminds me of borderlands more than fallout. There are a lot of things to dislike but what annoys me the most are the companions.

The first companion you'll probably meet in NV is Boone, an ex soldier whose wife was sold to slavery and the first thing you do is help him find the person responsible and lead them to a spot where he can kill them, not to mention the fact that you can lead an innocent person to their death. The outer worlds gives you Parvati, a lesbian engineer who you go out drinking with and advise on how to deal with her crush. Parvati is probably the worst but the others aren't much better, at least from the ones I encountered.

from everything I saw so far it all seems so safe and generic.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only for me this Outer Worlds guns looks much more like toys than actual firearms? What i loved about FNV is that weapon mechanics are very impressive.

Most games have a generic "pistol ammo" and "smg ammo" as if you can't use a 9mm round in a 9mm pistol and a 9mm submachine gun but could use a .45 ACP in a 9mm pistol. The game offers hollow point, AP, incendiary, explosive, slugs, dragon breath, etc, etc, etc and you can use reloading bench.

Quillon

Arcane
They should at least have given shotguns a special ammo. The design is even more streamlined than fucking Apex Legends. And grenade launcher using heavy.... "Make it simple, not simpler" ffs...or better: don't make it simple :P

Diggfinger

Arcane
First patch is out now. 1GB download.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/112824-the-outer-worlds-patch-11-release-notes/

Greetings fellow spacers,

We want to let you all know that our Patch 1.1.1.0 has been released for all platforms!

Resolved Issues for Patch 1.1.1.0:
  • The game crashing at a specific point when the player has reached Tartarus has been resolved
  • Toggle to increase the font size (found in the UI tab under Settings). Increases font for conversation text, cinematic subtitles, bark subtitles, and terminal text.
  • Players will no longer experience muffled sounds when playing on the PlayStation 4
  • The Prismatic Hammer has been rebalanced.
  • Foliage on the Xbox One now has parity with the foliage on PlayStation 4
  • Various quest fixes made including "Radio Free Monarch"
  • The achievement/trophy for "It's Not the Best Choice" will pop correctly
  • Existing Botched companion quests will have their status reset to Active allowing the player to add them to a party when leaving the ship in order to un-botch the quests, unless the death occurred prior to unlocking the companion quest.
To continue to report issues you come across and to share suggestions for the game, please visit the Technical Support forums for The Outer Worlds and search to see if a fellow player has already made a thread about it to help reduce duplicate threads. If you find a thread that matches your issue or suggestion, then please feel free to leave a comment and include any details you would like to share.

If you are not able to find a similar thread, then please share it with us on our forums and then visit our publishing partner, Private Division, and share this issue with them through their support website. This will help ensure that your specific issue or suggestion is in their queue and will allow us to prioritize requests to provide the fastest possible turnaround time.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding, and please continue to share with us anything you come across. You all are amazing, and we are very lucky to have you here with us.

So few bugs to fix...what a game!
:brodex:

can someone give me the skimmy if this game is worth your trouble or not. i want to know if dumping 60 dollars on this is worth it

I definitely think it is!

The world is well-made/believable, you immediately get a good feel for the all-pervasiveness of the corporations (such as them branding all the weapons used etc.).
There are a bunch of cool weapons to use, and slick (and actually funny!) humor throughout.
Quests are varied and alot of thought is made into making the world believable (I just finished a bounty-hunter quest for one of the corporations, where after the quest-giver gave me some of their backstories which related to another NPC I had met).

It's certainly I game a think about alot and want to play more off (only got about 5 hours in so far).

I would say it's lacking abit on moroseness (where are your dark thoughts, Leonard!) it's all pretty tongue-in-check so far.
Also, wasn't immediately blown away with the role-playing options. Getting into it is pretty streamlined, and I didnt feel I had many interesting options when levelling up, but not at level 6-7 it seems to improve already.

Wesp5

Arcane
The ammo dumbing down is definitely one of the many reasom why this game is new Vegas's inferior sister

I agree, but even with more dedicated ammo types, nothing would change if these were available as easily as ammo is right now. Hell, just imagine the "bits" lying around were "dollars" in our world: there would be cash free to take all over the place! Somebody should go over the whole game and place loot where it makes sense and remove about 90% of it. They basically made their whole vendor machine and shop system obsolete except for selling junk...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom