Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

frajaq

Erudite
heres hoping shotguns and revolvers are good and satisfying to use

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
That's not a very good thing in a game that focuses primarily on shooting.
Aren't you a KotOR 2 fanboy? For most of that game you have to deal with the game's awful combat system, so I'm not sure why you're discrediting TOW just based on the combat.

Yosharian

Arcane

Perkel

Arcane
I made a mistake. Gamepass is not 4$ but 1$.
Downloading atm Outer Worlds.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-outer-worlds-dialog-skills-speech/

Dumping all your skill points into speech works pretty darn well in The Outer Worlds
Funneling skill points into Dialog doesn't just help you lie, intimidate, and persuade—it also aids you in combat.

There's a certain thrill in the idea of crafting a silver-tongued character in an RPG, someone who in a world of violent aliens and hostile factions can talk themselves out of trouble while leaving their laser pistol holstered.

I played through The Outer Worlds attempting to do just that, pumping all of my skill points into the Dialog skill, and only the Dialog skill, every time I leveled up. It didn't mean I could avoid combat—there's still tons of it—but only putting points into Dialog didn't exactly hurt me on the battlefield because those Dialog skills not only give you more options while in conversations, allowing you to lie, persuade, and intimidate, they also give you effective abilities in combat, too.

Here's how it all worked. (And I won't spoil specifics about any quests below, don't worry.)

I created my character, Sly Vester, entirely with speech in mind. For his attributes, I gave him a Very High score in Intelligence (which governs, among other things, the Persuade skill), Temperament (which governs Lie), and Charm (Persuade, Lie, and Intimidate). This required lowering his other three attributes (Strength, Dexterity, and Perception) to below average. That feels a bit scary, but on the plus side, I gave him some very stylish eyebrows above his piercing blue eyes. I'm already feeling pretty persuasive.

You're given two skill points to spend at the start, which unfortunately can't both be put into Sly Vester's mouth. I put one into Dialog (raising Persuade and Lie to 40 and Intimidate to 25) and one into Leadership, which bumps up my Inspiration skill, allowing me to command my companions to use special attacks—very important because I'm not going to be much of a combat powerhouse otherwise. It also raises Determination, which gives companions a higher crit chance.

Finally, I chose my Aptitude—it's sort of like the job you had before being frozen in the hull of a spaceship for 70 years—and there's only a single Aptitude to pick from that improves Dialog skills. If I play as a Cashier, I get a +1 to my Persuade skill. Cashier it is, then.

As I worked through the first few quests, leveled up a few times, and explored the starting planet of the game, I was able to talk my way through a few situations with my already raised (and rising) Dialog skills. There are tons of conversations in The Outer Worlds, and lots of speech checks to enjoy if you've spent the points. Within the first few hours I persuaded my way into getting extra pay for jobs, intimidated tough guys into not attacking me, and even talked my way into a secure area that otherwise would have required buying a holographic disguise or using stealth, lockpicking, or violence. I just opened my mouth and the security guard was basically like, "Okay, come on through, but don't touch anything."

Sucker. I touched everything. Even if you don't put all your points into Dialog, you should definitely put a lot of points into it. Having all those extra dialogue options available isn't just more fun, it's economical: it saves you the money you'd have to spend bribing people.

You can acquire the first two (of a possible six) Outer Worlds companions in the first real town you visit, and having them at my command, ready to unleash their special attacks with a simple tap of a key, helped soften up enemies (or kill them outright) letting me keep my distance with my less-than-effective traditional combat skills. Luckily, I've got some non-traditional combat skills to add to the mix.

Like I said, my heightened Dialog contributes to combat. As you increase your Persuade skill, you gain the ability to terrify human enemies. At a skill of 20, you have a 20% chance of cowering any human you shoot. They'll crouch and tremble for a few seconds, plenty of time for you or your companions to finish them off. With Persuade at 40, they'll cower for a full seven seconds more, an eternity in combat. Raise Persuade higher and you'll improve the chances of cowering humans, lower a cowering target's armor by 50%, and improve your own armor rating while an enemy is cowering. Your bullets are super persuasive, apparently.

Your Lie skill affects mechanical enemies. At 20, there's a 15% chance a robot will "scramble" and attack someone else. At 100, meanwhile, there's a 55% chance of scrambling them: that's huge. Your Intimidate skill means you have a chance of terrifying alien creatures when you shoot them, which causes them to flee. Each milestone increases the ability with an expanded area of effect, movement penalties for the creatures, and increased critical damage. See, speech skills aren't just for your mouth. They also fly out of the barrel of your gun.

The Outer Worlds' perks, on the other hand, are a bit lacking when it comes to speech. You get a new perk every two levels, but nearly all of them have something to do with health, encumbrance, speed, damage, and Tactical Time Dilation (bullet time). So, I tried to pick the few that at least felt like they have something to do with speech, like better vendor pricing or better vendor stock. Companions, at least, have a few perks that help with speech. My robot companion SAM has a perk that adds to my intimidation when he's with me (he's huge, metal, and sprays a hose of acid on people, so it makes sense), and another follower, Felix, gave me a boost to Persuade, though I hardly needed it. Just at level 3, my Lie and Persuade were already at 50 and my Intimidate was at 40.

I kept dumping points into Dialog, and at level 7 my Intimidate and Persuade were at 65 and 70, adjusted to 81 and 83 thanks to my Cashier aptitude, a +5 Silver Tongue Kit mod I installed in my armor, a helmet that adds another +3, and buffs from my companions. By level 9, my Intimidate was already soaring at an adjusted 104. At level 15, my Lie and Intimidate Dialog skills were at a modified 100, and Persuade was a natural 100. There were no longer any speech checks I could fail and I was barely halfway through the game.

And I did run into several speech checks that demanded a 100, which let me negate entire battles. I intimidated a violent gang into simply giving up and leaving town, and avoided another major skirmish by responding to a verbal death threat with, essentially, "Nuh-uh." Words are weapons, sharper than knives.

Much as I loved winning over people with my mouth and bullets, there were a few times where I was at a disadvantage. With little in the way of traditional stealth skills like hacking and lockpicking, I was often out of luck when it came to helping myself to extra loot or opening locked doors. There's almost always another way in The Outer Worlds, of course—there's armor that can boost your other skills, mods that can be added to that armor to boost them more, consumables that provide brief skill bumps, and companion buffs. I basically traveled with extra stat-boosting outfits for myself and my followers at all times.

You can also often find keys to doors or hidden routes that let you enter restricted areas. And having a holographic disguise handy definitely helps—as I pointed out back in August, when your disguise fails you can continue the ruse by passing speech checks—which was no challenge at all for Sly Vester.

But I do admit occasionally being frustrated. In a late-game story mission, I found myself up against a single door I couldn't open no matter how much skill-buffing I did. The door's lock and a nearby terminal were both high above my skill levels, and even after searching for ages I just couldn't find an alternate route and no amount of scrounging turned up a key. Finally, out of sheer crankiness, I sicced my companions on a guard I'd talked my way past a half-hour earlier. On his corpse, I found the key I needed. So, sometimes, a silver tongue just isn't the answer.

When I completed The Outer Worlds' last story quest, my final adjusted Dialog stats were all sky-high. Persuade was 133, Lie was 125, and Intimidate was an soaring and unnecessary 156, thanks to armor that boosts my Dialog skills +5, a installed mod that boosts them another +5, a sweet intimidating eyepatch that contributes another +10 (though it unfortunately covers my stylish eyebrows), and a 20 point boost from my robot companion, SAM.

Maybe Sly Vester isn't the strongest, fastest, or stealthiest space cowboy to ever conquer The Outer Worlds. But he'll definitely tell you he is. And you won't have any choice but to believe him.

Sentinel

Arcane
That's not a very good thing in a game that focuses primarily on shooting.
Aren't you a KotOR 2 fanboy? For most of that game you have to deal with the game's awful combat system, so I'm not sure why you're discrediting TOW just based on the combat.
Because KotOR2 has outstanding characters and writing that more than compensate for its poor but bearable gameplay. Can the same be said about TOW? Very unlikely, methinks.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
jsOlvY0.jpg

JJ2OZ2k.jpg

Heh, what an idiot.

Jinn

Arcane
Starting a new game in Fallout 1 tonight in protest.

But seriously, hope it's good and you guys have fun with it. I'll be waiting a year to check it out. Good gaming to you boys!

:hero:

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
lol Nvidia save the screenshots under an "Indiana" file.

Indiana Screenshot 2019.10.24 - 18.55.36.32-min.png
Character creation was decent and better than I thought but graphically it's unsurprisingly mediocre which I don't really mind. Aptitude really reminds me of Arcanum's backgrounds. If I'm not mistaken it was tied to the attributes in Arcanum but all of them are tied to a minimal ability points so I guess they decided to do this to offer backgrounds and prevent powergaming.
Anyway I decided to continue my Fallout-Aranum character to the next Cainarsky goodness :D

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Played it for a bit, more dissapointed than even i imagined i would be.

1. Performance shit... Mind-boggling shit considering the dated visuals and it running on unreal.

2. Controls are shit, mouse movement lags and is hard to get just right even messing with the sensitivity setting

3. The ui is shit and clearly designed for controller use. Using keyboard navigation instead of mouse at character creation? Why do i have to hold down a key to skip shit instead of just pressing once? Wtf this is like something out of a square enix port.

4. Performance is really shit... Why arent there any advanced graphics settings?

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Just downloading my digital version of this well made game that is made for decent human beings from the Epic games store. Only winners use the Epic games store everyone loves it. This game is going to be a masterpiece with good looking characters. If you want to support game developers that hate straight men then buy the game.

Picture is unrelated by the way.
WgLCnrI.jpg

Oracsbox

Isn't this available on game pass for £1/$1 going to hurt the sales ?
How many people buy a game if they've played it for a month ?
Or is it better to have $1 than nothing because of pirates :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom