Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

JDR13

Arcane
Kind of unnecessary when it's obvious.

Didn't you call me arrogant not that long ago? ;)

I'm in the minority among people discussing it in this thread, but not sure what else there is to debate. We all had roughly the same stats and enemy health, so if you guys thought there was no bullet-sponging on hard mode then cool. Glad you had a better time. You thought choices meant something in Greedfall and I didn't, if you remember, and that's another case where everyone's experiencing roughly the same shit and just have different reactions to it. No one's right or wrong, they just have different expectations and tolerances.

I'm not sure why you think I'm debating something. Like you said, you're in the minority. All I did was point that out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How high are the chances that this game will get a balance patch akin to POE1?

I always thought that POE balance patches were Sawyer's labor of love in vain attempt to make a perfect D&D. So, without him, no chances for TOW in balancing department.

Modding scene also seems dead with how nasty UE4 is to mod without proper dev support.
Tyranny also received some much-needed post-release balance patching. :) However, that's the only non-Sawyer Obsidian game that's done it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure why you think I'm debating something. Like you said, you're in the minority. All I did was point that out.

Your response was about a worldwide poll, not the handful of people engaging me in this thread. You have zero idea how representative you and a couple others are of the overall opinion. Not that it fucking matters, this subject is worth about 5% of the effort we're both putting into its discussion.

JDR13

Arcane

Your response was about a worldwide poll, not the handful of people engaging me in this thread. You have zero idea how representative you and a couple others are of the overall opinion. Not that it fucking matters, this subject is worth about 5% of the effort we're both putting into its discussion.

And yet you're going to keep replying ad nauseam?

My original comment had nothing to do with any poll. You're the one who made some retarded smart-ass comment about a poll. All I said was that it's fairly obvious that most people don't consider the combat in TOW to be very bullet-spongy.

Efe

Erudite
most people in this thread seem to consider it spongy.
what are you basing that on?

Duraframe300

Arcane

And yet you're going to keep replying ad nauseam?

My original comment had nothing to do with any poll. You're the one who made some retarded smart-ass comment about a poll. All I said was that it's fairly obvious that most people don't consider the combat in TOW to be very bullet-spongy.

The only thing I don't get is how DalekFlay has even remotly managed to play through Fallout: New Vegas if he considers half a clip for an assault rifle too bulletspongey.

I mean what?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The only thing I don't get is how DalekFlay has even remotly managed to play through Fallout: New Vegas if he considers half a clip for an assault rifle too bulletspongey.

I mean what?

A ton of random enemies in New Vegas can be quickly killed with a headshot actually. But yes, it also has some bullet-sponge issues, depending on the enemy and difficulty setting. It probably has more of that than Outer Worlds, which again I said has some bullet-spongey enemies late game. Yet I still love New Vegas, which should maybe tell you how ridiculously overdramatic this whole thing has gotten. I never said anything like "this piece of shit is filled to the brim with bullet-sponge disasters!!!"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ah... so now it's "some" enemies. ;)

Read my posts dude, I said enemies near the end like the prisoners when I first posted. The prisoners are literally in the last dungeon of the game and what really "triggered" me. Probably because I wanted to finish and it felt like a slog. Without modding and tinkering it would be intolerable, which was my initial point to Infinitron.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Random enemies in TOW drop like flies if you shoot the weakspot, including the Queen bosses that don't last very long at all if you send couple of shots from charged plasma rifle into their weakspot on the belly.

Modron

Arcane
The prisoners are literally in the last dungeon of the game and what really "triggered" me.

Dunno I was using that semi-auto single shot rifle and could one shot everyone of those guys in the prison during Time Dilation; furthermore, thanks to all the ally adds you barely even had to pull a trigger. I do wonder if you offended everyone could you talk your way through the encounters since there was a speech check at the entrance and the enemies in the next room weren't hostile until you shot them even when fighting your allies.

JDR13

Arcane
Random enemies in TOW drop like flies if you shoot the weakspot, including the Queen bosses that don't last very long at all if you send couple of shots from charged plasma rifle into their weakspot on the belly.

Dude, don't try to confuse these people with facts.

*Edit* On a side note: I was completely unaware that Mantiqueens had a weak spot. Even without that though, I didn't find them overly spongy for bosses.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
they are managable if you tinker, upgrade and change dmg type
try shooting a good old rifle?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Sometimes I have no idea what Codexers are on about. I finished this game on Supernova difficulty and remember not a single instance of enemies being spongy. Granted, I invested quite heavily into companions, but still.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes I have no idea what Codexers are on about. I finished this game on Supernova difficulty and remember not a single instance of enemies being spongy. Granted, I invested quite heavily into companions, but still.

I said yesterday it's about your definition of "spongey." For some anything more than one headshot is spongey, for others they'll hold LMB on a baddie in Destiny 2 for 30 seconds and think it's normal. It's a subjective wonderland of mystery. I thought some enemies toward the end were spongey, and maybe the mantiqueens if you rush to Monarch at a low level. Others might not think they were, from their perspective. It's not a big fucking deal. The original point was (again), if you don't mod your weapons they'd take even more shots.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

I said yesterday it's about your definition of "spongey." For some anything more than one headshot is spongey, for others they'll hold LMB on a baddie in Destiny 2 for 30 seconds and think it's normal. It's a subjective wonderland of mystery. I thought some enemies toward the end were spongey, and maybe the mantiqueens if you rush to Monarch at a low level. Others might not think they were, from their perspective. It's not a big fucking deal. The original point was (again), if you don't mod your weapons they'd take even more shots.

I specifically didn't quote your post because I didn't want to be interpreted as responding to you specifically, but there you go...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Dude, don't try to confuse these people with facts.

*Edit* On a side note: I was completely unaware that Mantiqueens had a weak spot. Even without that though, I didn't find them overly spongy for bosses.

It's even marked on the loading screens.

latest

Codex Year of the Donut
has this recieved any good mods? Tweaks?

still holding off for a 2nd playthrough if not
UE4 games are functionally unmoddable sans some graphics tweaks
This is the downside of making games entirely in a programming language that compiles to native assemblies. UE3 games were moddable because most of the logic was written in unrealscript. Unless devs distribute modding tools with their game there will be no mods.

Rafidur

Learned
I don't remember enemies being spongy whatsoever, I remember them just falling over

Almost everything died in one shot of the meme hammer, maybe lesser builds have more trouble or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom