Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who's Ellen Chawla? Cut content?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
"iconic, main characters" "memorable characters"

I see humility isn't one of her attributes.

While the statements definitely deserve scorn, it's probably on par with the rest of the industry or even some of her co-workers: I remember a tweet by Carrie Patel mentioning how she modeled the God dialogues in Twin Elms in PoE1 after the Myrkul encounter in MotB. Seemed to actually believe it, too.

So I'm not inclined to draw a conclusion about Starks in this particular case. She's just looking out for her career in a cutthroat market.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, I have no doubt she "modeled them after" the dialogue with Myrkul, it just came out pretty deformed.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Eyes to the decline!

upload_2020-1-24_21-6-33.png

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I played some of this game and I didn't have any expectations going into it but it was moderately fun with good exploration despite its small size. Apparently it is very short so I'll wait until they deliver some DLCs to play it whole as it might yet be a bit more enjoyable.

From what little I played of it the most disappointing part is the retrofuturism which is by now done to death, including various cyberpunk titles which all do retrofuturism too. Ironic how cyberpunk which originally was supposed to represent condition of today then in futuristic aesthetic has become retrofuturistic nostalgia piece. Just shows the degenerate repetitive nature of concurrent media trends.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you're gonna have a list of characters you wrote in Outer Worlds, that Starks chick's list is a pretty good one honestly.

Edit: her list of favorite games on her website isn't half-bad either, for modern 3D stuff.

RepHope

Savant
Is this really the dream project of Cain and Boyarski? That's kinda sad if it's true.
No, they’ve said as much that they couldn’t do anywhere near everything they wanted because of the budget. What we got is a very scaled down version of their dream game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Notice how a lot of technical terms that were invented/popularized in our 20th century are different in this universe? Mechanicals instead of robots, N-Rays instead of radiation, nuclein instead of DNA, and an obscure one, alienists instead of psychologists.

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Isn't "alienist" used in Lovecraft's works? Maybe this is a 1950s take on those terms. I didn't live through the 50s, so I don't know!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Someone was pretty keen on using that thesaurus, huh.

No, they’ve said as much that they couldn’t do anywhere near everything they wanted because of the budget. What we got is a very scaled down version of their dream game.
Aha, so this is like Mallarme's Ultimate Book, unable to be written.

JDR13

Arcane
TOW being mediocre had nothing to do with the budget and everything to do with the quest design and itemization.

*Edit* Interesting to suddenly see so many apologists coming out of the woodwork.

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
I thought some of the hate was a bit OTT, but there was an undeniable repetitive element to it. The 'wilderness' was regularly broken up by yellow rimmed boxes and a few maurauders for set piece fights, and it felt like filler after a while.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The quest design is fine, itemisation could be better but it is a shooter and the exploration to find unique items seemed satisfactory. Main problem with TOW I saw is that while the visual pieces like when you first enter groundbreaker are quite scenic, the whole of world building falls a bit flat and feels overall uninspired because how overdone the whole retrofuturism by now. When you add into parody ancapistan aspect of corporations as humour, it invalidates itself in its own parody and ironically becomes silly like an isolated commercial world or a themepark. I think best antitode to this is to actually take the setting completely seriously in an hypernormalisation type of way.

It still would be better if they didn't go too heavy on ancapistan memes though, it really takes away from the atmosphere and ambience of the whole thing which is captivating at times. I like serious settings myself though (not necessarily grimdark or realistic).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
TOW being mediocre had nothing to do with the budget and everything to do with the quest design and itemization.

Itemization yes. Even if you tried defending it with budget concerns preventing them from taking the time to balance it, it was SO out of whack I'm not buying it. Quest design I thought was fine though, great sometimes, and only limited by the general small scope of the game.

JDR13

Arcane

Itemization yes. Even if you tried defending it with budget concerns preventing them from taking the time to balance it, it was SO out of whack I'm not buying it. Quest design I thought was fine though, great sometimes, and only limited by the general small scope of the game.

If you're ok with it being that simplistic and black & white, then yeah, I guess it's fine. I'm surprised though by how many people are ok with what's obviously decline compared to past Obsidian games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom