Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Outer Worlds has significantly exceeded our expectations

So they expected it to bomb? Eesh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Probably not bomb, but it is an AA game with AAA price and very dated graphics. So they most likely didn't expect a Skyrim level blockbuster.
I could be out of touch to how these things cost nowadays, but this looks like the kind of thing that needs to at least sell a million to break even.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Probably not bomb, but it is an AA game with AAA price and very dated graphics. So they most likely didn't expect a Skyrim level blockbuster.
I could be out of touch to how these things cost nowadays, but this looks like the kind of thing that needs to at least sell a million to break even.

I have no idea either how much they needed to sell. But the big games have teams of 700-800 people these days. TOW had about a 100. It's a guerilla production in comparison to Ass Creed and the like.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I told Infinitron a few months ago that I'd volunteer to write a review for this game. But I gotta be honest bros: I just stopped fucking playing it about 20 hours in. And I haven't thought about it since.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Strauss H. Zelnick -- Executive Chairman And Chief Executive Officer

It's hard to say. I think what we've said all along is that, generally speaking, we want to be where the consumer is. Generally speaking, we think subscription offerings to the extent they exist, are probably better suited to catalog, but we're willing to take experimental chances when it makes sense for a particular title and when the deal underlying that option also makes sense for us. And we're pleased that we have a great partnership with Microsoft, and we're mostly pleased that the title is such a big hit, it's sold in more than 2 million units and it's won 75 game awards. So it's early days for all of these platforms. It's obviously early days for many technologies, including streaming technology. Our goal is to be where the consumer is. We're ecumenical and we're open minded.

Something to keep in mind when streaming subscriptions inevitably take over and destroy PC gaming as we know it... it's all because consumers flocked to it. Companies can't do shit unless consumers go for it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Something to keep in mind when streaming subscriptions inevitably take over and destroy PC gaming as we know it... it's all because consumers flocked to it. Companies can't do shit unless consumers go for it.
If it does happen, DalekFlay, will it make you angry enough to be part of the revolution?

Dexter

Arcane
The Outer Worlds has significantly exceeded our expectations

So they expected it to bomb? Eesh.
TOW sales at EGS. I know that gloating is bad but it still made my Friday so much better.

playtracker_graph_egs_excl.png
I still remember when it was Obsidian's "2nd best Launch ever" next to Fallout: New Vegas, which went on to sell 11.6 million copies: http://archive.is/f8NWK#selection-1451.86-1451.144

And wasn't a "sleeper hit" like Pillars of Eternity, which managed to sell about as many copies on Steam as The Outer Worlds "shipped" across all platforms, despite being $1 in a Game Pass, having the Epic Sales Guarantee and being a Giveaway for various Hardware.

The Stick of Truth must have been a lot more successful given it managed to ship 5 million:
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news...ark-the-stick-of-truth-have-been-shipped.aspx

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Imagine comparing sales between game that has been on the market for 10 years for $5 price and added to numerous bundles with Doritos and yoghurt vs. game out on the market for 3 months.

:deathclaw:

Dexter

Arcane
Seriously,where did those 2 million came from? On EPIC sold like 150k,where did the rest came from if it was EPIC exclusive?
PS4 mostly, on XBox it was likely mostly downloaded via Xbox Game Pass which was $1 for 3 months for Promotional purposes. They're being intentionally cagey as they tend to be, and are using "sold-in"/shipped instead of Sales, which can include things like Sales Guarantees and unsold copies sitting in a GameStop or at a Walmart somewhere. Your guess as to whether they're also counting Game Pass downloads or not in that is as good as any.

Modron

Arcane
Seriously,where did those 2 million came from? On EPIC sold like 150k,where did the rest came from if it was EPIC exclusive?
Window's store, consoles, et cetera. Epic exclusive just means not on steam.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Imagine comparing sales between game that has been on the market for 10 years for $5 price and added to numerous bundles with Doritos and yoghurt vs. game out on the market for 3 months.
(The article with the FNV sales figure is from 2015, just FYI)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:shredder:
Fuck,i totally forgot that consoles existed. Yeah,when you add those obsolete piles of plastic in to the equassion,it adds up. Why do people still use that garbage? The PC is superior in every aspect and kind off the same money.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Where you buying your yogurt from? Asking for a friend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom