Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

gestalt11

Arbiter
So, what's the general consensus?

I heard the game is a complete SJW garbage and Leonard should've probably wrote everything himself instead of letting Megan Starks and Kate Dollarhyde near to anything. Chris L'Etoile left early and that's probably when it went to shit.

Not exactly. Its brain-dead californian liberal trash partirally written by soulless SJWs. The funny thing is the main conceit of corporations being shit is shared by a large number of conservatives but the writers are so brain-dead and stuck in a californian delusion they can't even extend their main conceit to something more people would feel wasn't just something ripped from CNN. You can even see it in this forum where the criticism gets shallowly dismissed with a silly and wrong stereotype, again based on deluded bubble thinking.

Although there are clear SJW things in it that make you roll your eyes, in reality its just bland PC crap with a shallow premise that stays stupidly shallow throughout the whole game.

Ironically its exactly what most large corporations give you.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I'm confused. Are you saying that Obsidian would never make a sequel unless it was a guaranteed top seller? Or are you complaining that they might make a sequel that doesn't sell well but turns out to be really good?

At least you're sincere. What I'm saying is that Obsidian would be terribly misguided to make any sort of sequel, because The Outer Worlds is a mediocre game that people don't strongly care about one way or the other. For this reason, a sequel would generate a small fraction of sales of the first game. Sequels that perform extremely badly are normal in the AA RPG space; The Outer Worlds would become its next example.

Counter example: Witcher games. They built momentum. Witcher 1, flawed but interesting. Witcher 2, same. Witcher 3, blows up. Series momentum is a thing, because people figure if a series is around long enough it must be good.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I'm confused. Are you saying that Obsidian would never make a sequel unless it was a guaranteed top seller? Or are you complaining that they might make a sequel that doesn't sell well but turns out to be really good?

At least you're sincere. What I'm saying is that Obsidian would be terribly misguided to make any sort of sequel, because The Outer Worlds is a mediocre game that people don't strongly care about one way or the other. For this reason, a sequel would generate a small fraction of sales of the first game. Sequels that perform extremely badly are normal in the AA RPG space; The Outer Worlds would become its next example.

Counter example: Witcher games. They built momentum. Witcher 1, flawed but interesting. Witcher 2, same. Witcher 3, blows up. Series momentum is a thing, because people figure if a series is around long enough it must be good.

I don't think this is a counter at all. Witcher 1 had a passionate cult following. Even the people who are positive about OW think its bland and undercooked. The only thing people have genuine strong feelings for is liking the Moon-head guy. The problem isn't that OW is flawed its that its mediocre and bland. Mediocre and bland means the sequel would most likely fall flat, there is no hype. A game with a cult following has built-in hype because of its set of passionate advocates.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Witcher 1 had a passionate cult following

Did it though? Sounds like historical revisionism to me. I never saw anyone hype Witcher until 3. The games were very forgettable.

I don't have screenshots and I don't care to find any but that was the way I always preceived it. Everyone thought it was clunky and I believe the last act wasn't liked that much, but there were a fair number of people who really liked various aspects of the game.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Witcher 1 had a passionate cult following

Did it though? Sounds like historical revisionism to me. I never saw anyone hype Witcher until 3. The games were very forgettable.

Witcher 1 was criticized for many things, but not for being "forgettable". It had lots of soul, which differentiated it from mass produced, safe western rpgs.

Wesp5

Arcane
Although the "lesbian prom date" sidequest was retarded cancer.

Agreed. Parvati as such is a great character, but she isn't only a rare female mechanic, no, she is lesbian and asexual as well! And how convenient that at the first place you visit after meeting her, there is another rare female mechanic who is lesbian and asexual too. And it isn't only that! If you look at all the major NPCs, most of the females are strong independent women and most of the men are stupid failures. Or to come back to the optimal solution in Edgewater, if you follow it through, you have the constabulary occupied by two female sheriffs and a female deputy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And it isn't only that! If you look at all the major NPCs, most of the females are strong independent women and most of the men are stupid failures. Or to come back to the optimal solution in Edgewater, if you follow it through, you have the constabulary occupied by two female sheriffs and a female deputy.

Here's a more accurate assessment: The women in The Outer Worlds are often no-nonsense and hypercompetent underlings, while the men are more soulful and genuine, for good or for ill. The men are more likely to be silly or deluded but they're also more likely to be inspirational leaders and thinkers.

You can call this woke, but to some extent it's also a reflection of real life trends.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And it isn't only that! If you look at all the major NPCs, most of the females are strong independent women and most of the men are stupid failures. Or to come back to the optimal solution in Edgewater, if you follow it through, you have the constabulary occupied by two female sheriffs and a female deputy.

Here's a more accurate assessment: The women in The Outer Worlds are often no-nonsense and hypercompetent underlings, while the men are more soulful and genuine, for good or for ill. The men are more likely to be silly, deluded or mean but they're also more likely to be inspirational leaders and thinkers.

You can call this woke, but to some extent it's also a reflection of real life trends.

Isn't it... usually the other way around? That man is less emotional and more rational? At least that is still the stereotype where I am in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a common observation, made by people such as Tucker Carlson, that in the 21st century West women increasingly "have their shit together" more than men. They goof off less, they're more likely to earn a university degree, they seem more well-adapted to succeeding in bureaucratic structures where the most important thing is to follow instructions and get along to go along. Think of the stereotype of the corporate HR lady.

Not everything you see in a video game made by people from California is there to piss you off. Sometimes it's just the writers writing what they know.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
It's a common observation, made by people such as Tucker Carlson, that in the 21st century West women increasingly "have their shit together" more than men. They goof off less, they're more likely to earn a university degree, they seem more well-adapted to succeeding in bureaucratic structures where the most important thing is to get along to go along. Think of the stereotype of the corporate HR lady.

Not everything you see in a video game made by people from California is there to piss you off. Sometimes it's just the writers writing what they know.

It's just standard male flattery. It's the same attitude towards children. When a kid throws a ball ineptly and you say, "WOW! that was great! Good job!" Always praise everything they do, no matter what.

Did you know male puppies will "go easy" on female puppies when playing around? They won't wrestle as hard and will even allow the female puppies to bite their neck. They fight way more aggressively with males. It's a mammal thing.

Guys like Tucker say "women have their shit together" because it's flattering, not because its true.

Sòren

Arcane
Here's a more accurate assessment: The women in The Outer Worlds are often no-nonsense and hypercompetent underlings, while the men are more soulful and genuine, for good or for ill. The men are more likely to be silly, stupid or mean but they're also more likely to be inspirational leaders and thinkers.

the only male npcs in the game that aren't depicted as being completely incompetent, insecure or mischevious are the guy that looks like out of that retard shit rick and morty and the indian from monarch (and even that is only mentioned in the ending screens, where he is described as a slightly capable businessman). i do not care much about politics in western artistic outputs, i made my peace with the fact that it's mostly hopeless rubbish, but i haven't played a game where the agenda was that obvious and insulting like in outer worlds.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
They goof off less, they're more likely to earn a university degree, they seem more well-adapted to succeeding in bureaucratic structures where the most important thing is to follow instructions and get along to go along. Think of the stereotype of the corporate HR lady.
I do not know about western corporate HR ladies, but ones in Russian IT already reached meme status at their often demonstrated hilarious incompetence.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I mean from what I recall three of the more notable non-player female NPCs were a nutjob hippie who wanted to let an entire colony starve solely to spite a single person, a complete mental case who thinks pigs are self-aware and wants you to murder an innocent person because she believes aliens are real, and arguably the main villain of the game who wants you to murder an entire colony and unlike her male counterparts is far less likely to compromise with the protagonist even after you explain how untenable her position is (and is thus the most likely to get killed out of the two) in the non-board ending.

The male chief of security at the toothpaste factory is also presented as a far more competent and morally sound person than the female leader of the raiders (who's basically just presented as a grand-standing weasel), there's that female insurance agent who explains how you can't collect your companion's life insurance plan, and then literally explains how to commit insurance fraud to your face because she so believes her company's motto of honesty that she doesn't think you'll do it. There were plenty of female NPCs who were depicted as being just as incompetent, stupid, or outright insane as male ones.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's a common observation, made by people such as Tucker Carlson, that in the 21st century West women increasingly "have their shit together" more than men. They goof off less, they're more likely to earn a university degree, they seem more well-adapted to succeeding in bureaucratic structures where the most important thing is to follow instructions and get along to go along. Think of the stereotype of the corporate HR lady.

And that is why western society is dead,even if doesn't know it yet.
:buildawall:

Quillon

Arcane
Not everything you see in a video game made by people from California is there to piss you off.

Enough of it is. The writers doesn't even hide that they are in it to push their agenda, not for passion for games/RPGs. Woke movies easily tank hard these days so movie industry will have stop this trend soon enough but it won't be so easy for games cos there are more to games than an agenda driven writer can shit on
rating_negativeman.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Were you not on forums before 2015, or...? BioWare vs CD Projekt comparisons were a big thing in 2011 after Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2 were released. "CD Projekt doesn't dumb down their games", "CD Projekt games have actual C&C", "CD Projekt is a PC-centric developer that doesn't let consoles dictate the quality of graphics", etc.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Were you not on forums before 2015, or...? BioWare vs CD Projekt comparisons were a big thing in 2011 after Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 2 were released. "CD Projekt doesn't dumb down their games", "CD Projekt games have actual C&C", "CD Projekt is a PC-centric developer that doesn't let consoles dictate the quality of graphics", etc.

I bet you can find plenty of people on this website calling Witcher a popamole clickfest. I could be wrong though.

Although, everything about Witcher 2's design was changed to make it more appealing to console, mainstream, non-PC gamers. That's pretty obvious. CD projekt almost went bankrupt trying to remake Witcher 1 for consoles. Outer Worlds is already designed to appeal to console gamers, seems to be working alright for them.

Another example: Greedfall. Standard Spiders game but the momentum from prior titles coalesced into a big sales bump for them after four games. Outer Worlds vs Mars War Logs? Yeesh, Outer Worlds is like a mega-smash in comparison.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Don't be daft, the only reason there wasn't a console version on day one was because Cd Projekt was broke and couldn't split its efforts. The gameplay and UI were obviously drastically redesigned to suit gamepads and resemble multiplatform ARPGs

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
It's hard to forget because this is probably one the most braindead moments in the history of the video gaming industry for me.

CD Projekt nearly went bankrupt at that time, so they decided to make a paid alpha test of a console game (Witcher 2) on PC (how buggy and unoptimized it was), simply because they didn't have money anymore to put it on Xbox 360 where it belonged. I mean, they didn't even bother to make visual settings in the game, they just slapped a launcher on the top of it and it felt much better playing it on gamepad instead of KBM. Yet, they became "PC centric" simply because they released it earlier on PC.

Now, when they finally made the game and called the release version "Enhanced Edition" they became "holy" for releasing "free" content. I assume any developer who's releasing their games out of Early Access should have that status by this logic. Just to continue this idiocy they cut some content from Witcher 3 and started releasing it as "free DLC" before the release.

And they actually released it on Xbox 360 later, spending a fortune on the port and it flopped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom