Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are you fierce like Parvati?
48963988752_674db76ef5_o.png
Sailor Woedica may have triggered more than a few of you, but the word fierce as it's used here is perfectly normal and very much in line with the folksy vernacular Obsidian has adopted for this game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay, 5 hours in, I gotta say I'm not seeing this alleged flood of SJW content. With Disco Elysium some people were convinced the game is trying to force them to join communist book club and it seems we're having the same mass psychosis here. First woman I met had normal hair, first town is run by a dude, no angry lesbians are accusing me of being a patriarchal oppressor and no people are stopping me on the street asking how to change their gender. I also I have yet to meet one person who talks like a valley girl, even though the game was supposedly full of them according to Propagand-Junta.

So far couple of women had leadership positions and some of them had freaky hair, that's about it, hardly out of ordinary for a modern game. Reading some early impressions made me think TOW guns are shooting rainbows and every NPC is trying to trick you into sucking his dick, but none of that materialized so far.

Seems like some posters are just running around chasing imaginary SJW boogeyman they already convinced themselves exists before even launching the game.

Maybe you're right but for full disclosure, didn't Chris Avellone said about you that you're an Obsidian shill or something along these lines?
Full quote pls if someone has it.
And what did he said about Infinitron too? quote pls

Prime Junta

Can we settle this once and for all ?
Is Prime Junta working for obsidian or against them ?
I'm confused.

I got de-ownered. They re-ownered IHaveHugeNick though. He is now part of the Microsoft family.

BTW Monarch is better than the other places I visited so far. Still same ol' same ol' but more of it, and a bit more exciting pew-pew-pew.

Cholo

Arcane
Theres lots of good discussion on the steam forums about the uglifciation of all women in this game. Was this an SJW attack on gamer men who tend to prefer 2d waifus? Or perhaps a fetish of obsidian developers. I can't say for certain but I remember a post talking about how most obsidian employees weren't married to attractive women- is this purposeful?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now that I've given up tho....it's like I kicked the dumb ugly whore out but got left unfinished.

Maybe I'll start another New Vegas playthrough? That's an hour of drudgery with installing mods tho.
Maybe imma finally buy Greedfall? That one is still around 30 bucks on key stores tho, not sure I wanna spend that much on this.
I still have the latest Deus Ex sitting on my shelf and apparently it's not that bad...
I've been also waaaaaaiting for Insomnia's 1.6, I so wish it already dropped, fuck.
Desu Ex 4 is definitely worth getting on a Steam sale (which comes probably in 2 days) as it's quite a decent game.

Thankfully there is no more boss fights like in the previous game, which pissed me off enormously, and now the game feels like a proper game finally, without annoying mini-games.

The story is fairly interesting and even captivating at times, the environment looks great. Although a large part of the game happens outside the areas are tiny. The game allows for a bloodless play-through, which is a really nice thing for people who actually don't play RPGs to murder and kill.

+ decent story
+ interesting dialogues
+ the game rewards avoiding violence!
+ some choices & consequences
+ no stupid mini-games
+ piss-filter from Deus Ex 3 is no longer present, the game world looks more natural

- no captivating characters, although they are alright
- tiny areas
- short (took me 16h to finish with most side quests)
- gunplay is average
- different approaches to objectives sometimes possible, but usually very limited

Overall, Deus Ex 4 is worth getting on a sale, and for the really cheap price it recently hits during Steam sales I'd say it's a recommended purchase. It's short, but if you don't pay too much you can enjoy it pretty well while it lasts.

I did not play Greedfall, but after Mars Something I do not feel like playing another game by the same developers.

New Vegas again sounds alright, but how many times can you replay the same thing? I get burned after two which I already did.

Overall, go for Desu Ex 4 even if you did not think that much of 3. They actually fixed all the shortcomings which is mindblowing in this day and age.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Now that I've given up tho....it's like I kicked the dumb ugly whore out but got left unfinished.

Maybe I'll start another New Vegas playthrough? That's an hour of drudgery with installing mods tho.
Maybe imma finally buy Greedfall? That one is still around 30 bucks on key stores tho, not sure I wanna spend that much on this.
I still have the latest Deus Ex sitting on my shelf and apparently it's not that bad...
I've been also waaaaaaiting for Insomnia's 1.6, I so wish it already dropped, fuck.

You can always return to ToW :)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Maybe you're right but for full disclosure, didn't Chris Avellone said about you that you're an Obsidian shill or something along these lines?

Good lord, this old story again? Chris and me had a bitchfight on the Codex and we ended up sorting it out through DMs like 5 minutes later, we shook hands on it and that was that.

I have no idea why people keep obsessing about inconsequential drama from 2 years ago.

edit: no you're not going to get a citation, I respect people's privacy unlike certain another poster that shall not be named but rhymes with Ripe Cunta.

Ruffler

Barely Literate
I'm about to fire this game up. If I'm dissapointed I'll come and piss and shit all over this place.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Good lord, this old story again? Chris and me had a bitchfight on the Codex and we ended up sorting it out through DMs like 5 minutes later, we shook hands on it and that was that.

I have no idea why people obsessing about inconsequential drama from 2 years ago.

this is the codex

Shadenuat

Arcane
Can we settle this once and for all ?
Is Prime Junta working for obsidian or against them ?
I'm confused.

I got de-ownered. They re-ownered IHaveHugeNick though. He is now part of the Microsoft family.

BTW Monarch is better than the other places I visited so far. Still same ol' same ol' but more of it, and a bit more exciting pew-pew-pew.
eheh, wait for it.
if you liked bad dude and good grandma in tutorial, you'll like monarch choice too. :shittydog:
(at least I have a hunch about dis; can't prove it since remember, I shoot oprimal npcs)

Last edited:
Insert Title Here
The truth is, after recently playing games like Sunless Skies, Atom, Pathologic 2, Disco, Noita and Six Ages... The Outer Worlds just seems banal. Not bad necessarily but I just can't seem to care about it that much at the moment no matter how much good will I might have towards the people who made it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Game on hard is literally a cakewalk already, and i'm not even half-way in. Got fucktons of money, fucktons of ammo, weapons, gadgets, everything. I just breeze through every enemy like a warm knife through luke-warm butter.

They definitely fucked up with the balance of the game. I almost feel like I wanna sell all my shit, and just use lvl 1 weapons to make it hard again, disappointing.'

Monarch feels better than other towns, but still, the choices and quests you are presented isn't exactly skyrocketing my heartrate atm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom