Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Outer Worlds Panel at PAX West 2019 - Come to Halcyon Trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Carrie Patel; Kate Dollarhyde; Megan Starks; Mikey Dowling; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds

After early August's preview bonanza, The Outer Worlds seems to have kept a low profile at Gamescom, saving its next significant public appearance for PAX West. Today the Obsidian girl squad - Carrie Patel, Kate Dollarhyde and Megan Starks - went on stage at PAX West for their panel about writing and designing the game's characters. I wouldn't say there were any particularly important reveals in the panel itself, but they did unveil a new trailer halfway through. It's a satirical introduction to the Halcyon colony, this time presented from the perspective of the corporations.

That's a pretty fun trailer. This might very well be the last major publicity for The Outer Worlds before the game comes out in October, so it's good that they got it right. Still hoping to see something new before then though, including the two companions they're not telling us about.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I was about to question so many chicks at a nerdfest, but that one talking is like a young redhead version of Leah Remini. :smug:

jewboy

Arbiter
How cringey that guy's question was about some incredible game Obsidian made 9 years ago. Wtf. It sounded like he was talking about Planescape:Torment or at least MotB, but nope...I guess he feels that way about Fallout New Vegas. Sigh. It really wasn't that great of a game. Maybe he was planted there by a marketing team or something and went a bit too far in praising F:NV.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When you see that many females on the panel, you just know this game is gonna blow. Aren't we tired of these shitty gamebyro walking simulators?

Last edited:

jewboy

Arbiter
Are those bleeders doing most of the writing? I really hope it is not going to be like a romance novel. Best we could possibly hope for is a game that is no worse than FNV except for the writing. That will definitely be worse. I do like the setting though. The whole corporations thing is very Jennifer Government.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Are those bleeders doing most of the writing? I really hope it is not going to be like a romance novel. Best we could possibly hope for is a game that is no worse than FNV except for the writing. That will definitely be worse. I do like the setting though. The whole corporations thing is very Jennifer Government.

There were 2-3 additional writers. And everything regarding writing (including guidelines and so on) Boyarsky had the last say on.

Megan did mention before that compared to Pillars or Tyranny she got much more direction in that regard on this.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hope it bombs so hard that the senior management get booted from the industry forever. And all the SJW staff have to go back to their blog with 2 readers. When I look at the graphics I can easily see it bombing (because that is the top priority of their target audience). But realistically when I see how much they have spent on hyping this shit, and how dumbed down it is, I just can't imagine it not selling at least a few million.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When I look at the graphics I can easily see it bombing (because that is the top priority of their target audience).

Their audience is a piece of the millions who had no problem with Fallout 4's graphics.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's so weird. The trailer is well made, and the decision to make fun of corporations that are like Gilded Age gone haywire is a great one. This would have made a great Fallout spinoff.... back when they made New Vegas, or when we thought we'd never get a Fallout 3.

To make this now as finally a reunited Cain-Boyarsky new IP title after Fallout has spawned a million clones and has beaten its own horse dong to death? Just so weirdly disappointing.

So many graphicswhores even here, but the point is that the art direction is all over the place from Boyarsky.

Tigranes

Arcane
Me: "This game is so weirdly disappointing and has no business coming out after 2012"

Politician: YOU ARE FABULOUSLY OPTIMISTIC YOU MOTHERFUCKER YOU FUCK YOU DUMB

:shredder:

Do you want another carrot? That the gameplay looks like the proud heritage of Bethesda combat copy pasted 10 years late? I thought that just goes without saying.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
When I look at the graphics I can easily see it bombing (because that is the top priority of their target audience).

Their audience is a piece of the millions who had no problem with Fallout 4's graphics.
That looks better than this game though. The mainstream gamer might be a graphics whore, but he is also a console tard so has pretty low standards. Have you seen unmodded Skyrim?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom