Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ADL

Prophet
The writing for the base game is finished for sure, but not the DLC's.
Unless it was contracted by Take Two or Microsoft bought the publishing rights away from Take Two, I'd be shocked if this has DLC. I'm sure Microsoft just wants them to start working on their next gen projects.

Just to be clear, The Outer Worlds IP was owned by Obsidian and is now owned by Microsoft.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unless it was contracted by Take Two or Microsoft bought the publishing rights away from Take Two, I'd be shocked if this has DLC. I'm sure Microsoft just wants them to start working on their next gen projects.

Just to be clear, The Outer Worlds IP was owned by Obsidian and is now owned by Microsoft.

If it’s successful, both Take-Two and Microsoft will want DLC: Take-Two for the money, Microsoft to keep the brand alive. If Microsoft wants to make a sequel, they can buy the publishing rights from Take-Two for a song, because they’re effectively worthless given that Microsoft owns the actual IP. When it was just Obsidian, they needed a publisher, but now MSFT can say: “sell the publishing rights to us or we won’t make any more TOW games for you to publish.” Besides, Take-Two wants a good working relationship with XBox and this property isn’t going to be big enough to be worth damaging that relationship.

Edit: Microsoft, unlike Obsidian, actually makes plans for the future—the plans themselves may suck, but they do think ahead.

The other thing: DLC may have been included in Obsidian’s original deal with Take-Two, in which case they have to make it.

The Real Fanboy
D9ccLKsUIAAbm84

Microsoft has even started making cute products for The Outer Worlds!

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
They already stated DLC has been worked on. So, Microsoft or TAKE 2 thinks the game is really good and worth investing.
You really don't want to step on Microsoft shoes. Who are you going to sell game for? Linux users?

Maybe. If Linux takes the OS dominance and turns the tide. Who knows.

Let us call this new studio Obxdian, the baby of Obsidian and Xbox games.
It's destined to bring cRPGs to mainstream players while keeping their hardcore fans intact.

Looks like active writing for the game is over, and Megan is already working on their next project for Microsoft (that long presumed Skyrim killer?)

Either that, or Leonard ditched all the writing staff and is currently in major prerelease crunch mode, trying to rewrite all the shit they came up with.

She worked on Tyranny, so Pillars of Eternia III shouldn't be stranger to write.
Hopefully, Sawyer won't take too long of a break. BG3 is coming causing Sawyer black hound nightmares from the past.

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
She worked on Tyranny, so Pillars of Eternia III shouldn't be stranger to write.
Hopefully, Sawyer won't take too long of a break. BG3 is coming causing Sawyer black hound nightmares from the past.
I'm pretty sure they won't be making PoE III for Microsoft, at least not as a primary project.
MS surely wants and is ready to finance a big mainstream game, which matches the Obsidian ownerships wet dreams of a Skyrim killer.
Also, the Pillars team is heavily burned out on the series, especially Josh. In the PoEII post-mortem he directly said he wants to/should work on another kind of RPG - that's a hint and a half for you.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

This is good. No DLCs for this one but they will probably fund The Outer Worlds 2.

Most likely TOW will have DLCs.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Now there's one single Journal tab with two sub-tabs - Quests and Codex.

Why did Leonard say that there won't be Codex? That we'll have to rely on NPCs for what's going on etc.

Infinitron https://youtu.be/8N4SyKod7fA?t=224

Leonard said that there wont'be codex because part of the experience is discovering what's actually true story of this world by yourself.

Yeah but there is Codex tab in those screenshots.

Flou

Arbiter
What did she wrote,anything good?

She wrote:

- Bleden Mark for Tyranny. I thought all of the Archons were well written in the game and the conversation with them (especially Tunon) some of the better moments in the game.

- Fort Deadlight for Deadfire. This area has been a fan favourite. Writing for it was up to par, and Jorge Salgado & team on the area fleshed it out quite nicely.

- Furrante and Aeldys. Bunch of lesser pirate faction characters as well.

- Dunnage, The Gullet & The Narrows, Crookspur and The Undercroft.

Her companions so far have been Beast-In-Shadows (haven't used her in Tyranny, so no idea, but no one here liked her) and Xoti. Xoti is a bit of a mess. I get what she was trying, but I think the accent on Xoti fucked that character completely for me. Also I found Xoti's writing inconsistent. It would be good for a moment and then turn into shit again. This could be due to Sawyer/Patel and their instructions on the companion and where they want to take her, or it could be just Starks struggling to make Xoti fit the Pillars universe. But she can definately write good characters. Those pirates and Bleden Mark were well done and that's why I'm interested in seeing what she can do under different project director, especially when it's Boyarsky making sure these characters and companions really fit his idea of the game.

The same argument can be made for Paul Kirsch as well. He has done some really good work on Deadfire (and the DLCs) and Tyranny + something that hasn't really hit the mark. For example Tayn was well done on the last Deadfire DLC. His sidequests on Deadfire were good as well (Nemnok, Arkemyr, Concelhaut). Huana questline wasn't as strong as the pirate questline (imo), but then again the faction itself isn't that great to begin with. He wrote Tekehu, Maia and Fassina. Tekehu missed the mark (for most of Codex it seems), Maia was solid and I have no idea about Fassina.
For Tyranny he wrote 3 of the Archons (Tunon, Graven Ashe and Voices of Nerat) which were like I said some of the better material in the game. Barik and Verse I found decent enough as companions and don't really have any compaints on those two. His time on The Outer Worlds probably was more limited than Starks' since Kirsch stayed on the Deadfire team to finish the DLC's while Starks moved on to TOW as senior writer.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
- Fort Deadlight for Deadfire. This area has been a fan favourite. Writing for it was up to par, and Jorge Salgado & team on the area fleshed it out quite nicely.

I recognize these names but I dunno what they were about.

Codex Year of the Donut

deadlight is the one non-shit area of deadfire

Flou

Arbiter

Furrante and Aeldys are the pirate faction leaders. Dunnage is the smaller pirate town (afaik). The Gullet & The Narrows are slums of the big city in Deadfire. Undercroft is the pirate base in that same city. Crookspur is the slaver island.
Fort Deadlight is the main base for pirate faction.

Xeon

Augur
IIRC Dunnage and Crookspur, you can kill everyone or be diplomatic with them for questing? That's pretty good to have the option I mean.

I liked Bleden Mark but didn't like his voice, he sounded much younger than what he seemed like or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom