Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Looks like a space game inspired by 1950s sci-fi. Count me in.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The images we got so far were isometric, weren't they? God damn man where do you get this info from? BACK IT UP

What images, the 1950s concept art?

We've been seeing job ads for a console/multiplatform action-RPG using the Unreal engine since 2016, eg: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...discussion-thread.84849/page-133#post-4753575
I swear I was sure there were a couple of pics even in this thread, showing a couple of characters near some sort of canyon (?) in an isometric view. Am I going crazy??
:despair:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So that leaves us with a moderately engaging isometric game featuring pretty-but-bland maps, forgettable storyline, xir companions, reused music, 4-person party/combat, and dogshit writing.
:what:

Isometric lol.

Otherwise I believe you may have it right.

I swear I was sure there were a couple of pics even in this thread, showing a couple of characters near some sort of canyon (?) in an isometric view. Am I going crazy??

You sure you're not thinking of the Beamdog cancelled game?

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Cautiously preparing to get my butt buttered and get called a biscuit

If it's at least decent and Good For What It Is™ I'll buy once the Definitive Edition™ is released, at ~75% discount to ensure the least of my money goes to that fatfuck's bank account.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Cautiously preparing to get my butt buttered and get called a biscuit

If it's at least decent and Good For What It Is™ I'll buy once the Definitive Edition™ is released, at ~75% discount to ensure the least of my money goes to that fatfuck's bank account.

Just get the Pirate Edition and no money goes to his account.

Disclaimer: Though i am a communist and don't care about copyright laws, i don't suggest pirating games we enjoy. This leads to bad outcomes like Interplay going bankrupt, which is comparable to other world disasters like Chernobyl and Fukusima. Like all pirates say in their nfos, if you enjoy a game, buy it!

Terenty

Liturgist
Although here in Russia we hate faggots, Tim Cain is an exception. I just hope the setting is akin to Fallout 1 and Arcanum where the amount of humor was apropriate and didnt actively ruin experience like in Fallout 2

Wunderbar

Arcane
sc-weapon.jpg

DtHN1MlXcAAzGP5.jpg
Two ads: technology (Spacer's choice) and magic (Auntie Cleo's herbal ointments). Arcanum 2 confirmed.

Harold

Arcane
:timcain: : "If you're talking to an enthusiast, there are so many differences, and we feel it's under-selling the game to say it's Arcanum in space. But when we started talking to more consumer-oriented magazines, we'd have, like, two seconds...and we'd say, 'it's like retro-futuristic Arcanum in space.' And they're like, 'Awesome!' To Joe Public, it's mainly first-person, wide-open game and you get to do what you want. The game it's closest to is Arcanum. So now when someone asks, 'Is it Arcanum in space?' my main answer is, 'in all the best ways'."

ArchAngel

Arcane
:timcain: : "If you're talking to an enthusiast, there are so many differences, and we feel it's under-selling the game to say it's Arcanum in space. But when we started talking to more consumer-oriented magazines, we'd have, like, two seconds...and we'd say, 'it's like retro-futuristic Arcanum in space.' And they're like, 'Awesome!' To Joe Public, it's mainly first-person, wide-open game and you get to do what you want. The game it's closest to is Arcanum. So now when someone asks, 'Is it Arcanum in space?' my main answer is, 'in all the best ways'."
So Cain worked on Fallout that was supposed to be Wasteland 2 but Fargo could not get the licence back. Then he founded Troika and worked on Arcanum after he could no longer work on Fallout 2. Then he closed Troika, and now he is working on a game that is similar to Arcanum and Fallout but cannot use both names and licences :D
And if he leaves Obsidian, he will lose access to Outer Worlds as well LOL

Latelistener

Arcane
And if he leaves Obsidian, he will lose access to Outer Worlds as well LOL
He can actually found another studio and still work on Outer Worlds. I don't remember all the intricacies behind the deal they made, but Take-Two will retain some control over the IP.

jf8350143

Liturgist
What's the chance that Deadfire win the best RPG and Obisidian gets to announce a new game at the same time? The melt down here will be glorious.

Molina

Savant
It's a real quote ? Or you're fucking with my heart ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom