Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
lmao @ "khrushchevka" like it's some esoterica

not even in disagreement or anything, just funny imagining westerners oohing and aahing, "real shit?"

yeah, people live in apartments

In all fairness khrushchevkas can be pretty grim as apartments go, I've lived in one for a bit, student housing in Kiev
oh sure

but more to your point, if anything at all - if any of them came out of a khurshchevka horror story, it's more likely their parents or they themselves were perestroika era anarchist punks, drunks and artfags who were slumming it as a commune and because they couldn't afford better after the cost of alcohol, jeans and not working for a living; shit, people still do it to capture that "prole" flair

speaks more to their lumpen-bourgeois cred, not so much to their prole cred

Codex Year of the Donut
Then give a citation yourself. All you have are letters from 1982 and one-two written P&P supplements for the existence of the name.

Otherwise you got a game that seemingly never interacted with anyone from Troika credited solely for work we know others have had a hand in:

Writing / Dialogue / Story Edward R. G. Mortimer

Neither is he mentioned by the Troika members ever again. And those don't shy away from giving credit.
"You never forget your first RPG," he says. "AD&D kept me enthralled for years. I especially liked the old Judge's Guild modules. In fact, I have a collection of their City State modules, and I still run an AD&D campaign set in this world. Someday, I'd like to make an CRPG set in that world."

He's even interested in working with some of the Judges Guild writers, if he know how to contact them. "I don't know what happened to all their designers," says Cain. "There was a guy Edward R.G. Mortimer, his stuff was just incredible. He was a great designer; I'd love to hire him. His ideas were just incredible."
http://home.ica.net/~mordeth/compendium/fallout/timcain.htm
:M

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

Come on, living in eastern European city is almost synonymous to concrete housing block.

They have some nicer houses too. I moved from the student housing to a flat in central Kiev I rented from a nice babushka. End 19th century building that had somehow survived WW2 on the Zankovetskoi street. Cosy rugs on the walls, parquet floor, central heating between Nov 1 and March 31, and an arrangement with the cockroaches that they won't eat my lunch if I won't ride their bicycles.

Duraframe300

Arcane
"You never forget your first RPG," he says. "AD&D kept me enthralled for years. I especially liked the old Judge's Guild modules. In fact, I have a collection of their City State modules, and I still run an AD&D campaign set in this world. Someday, I'd like to make an CRPG set in that world."

He's even interested in working with some of the Judges Guild writers, if he know how to contact them. "I don't know what happened to all their designers," says Cain. "There was a guy Edward R.G. Mortimer, his stuff was just incredible. He was a great designer; I'd love to hire him. His ideas were just incredible."
http://home.ica.net/~mordeth/compendium/fallout/timcain.htm
:M

And theres the connection. Thank you.

And thus I accept full responsiblity

:0-13:

(Wonder how well it worked out though, considering they didn't bring him back. Also fuck mobygames.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Come on, living in eastern European city is almost synonymous to concrete housing block.

They have some nicer houses too. I moved from the student housing to a flat in central Kiev I rented from a nice babushka. End 19th century building that had somehow survived WW2 on the Zankovetskoi street. Cosy rugs on the walls, parquet floor, central heating between Nov 1 and March 31, and an arrangement with the cockroaches that they won't eat my lunch if I won't ride their bicycles.
I live in Poland. When I went to visit a friend in Czechia, it turned out he lived in an identical building. Same floor plan. I've been around most of Europe including Serbia, Ukraine, Bulgaria or Romania. Sure there are better and worse ones, but even the newly developed buildings follow suit, albeit with better craftsmanship. Given average wealth those are pretty much the only flats most people can afford to mortgage. It's just the way we live here, nothing proletarian about it nowadays.

ArchAngel

Arcane
:lol::lol::lol:

It is amusing how this thread is going all kind of different places,and none of it have anything to do with the game.
99% of all threads dude. Loose banter on said game, until game releases.

Then it shifts to endless pages of people arguing over character builds lol.
Oh I am sure that fate is not going to befall this game as it does not seem to be a build making game, being a game for mainstream first and foremost.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Other than shitposting, what else is there to do before the game comes out? There won't be any more important information coming out before launch. Even if there was I imagine most people are trying to avoid spoilers at this point.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Then give a citation yourself. All you have are letters from 1982 and one-two written P&P supplements for the existence of the name.

Otherwise you got a game that seemingly never interacted with anyone from Troika credited solely for work we know others have had a hand in:

Writing / Dialogue / Story Edward R. G. Mortimer

Neither is he mentioned by the Troika members ever again. And those don't shy away from giving credit.
Woah you are a petty little cunt. Pissing on a man's work just because somebody on the internet could be right and you wrong. Also the burden of proof is on your side you dipshit,you are arguing that a man that is credited in the game doesn't exist because you find his name funny. Thus you should either present a proof that the man is actually a collective pseudonym,or simply fuck off wanker! You whole "proof" till now is that he have a single game credited on mobygames. For all we know the dude could have kicked the bucket at game release. A bunch of old letters and some works https://rpggeek.com/rpgdesigner/20147/edward-mortimer ,are a lot more proof that your "LoL it is a pseudonym". As i repeat my self for a second time,show proof or fuck off!

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Oh I am sure that fate is not going to befall this game as it does not seem to be a build making game, being a game for mainstream first and foremost.
"Builds" - seems like the typical GURPS route this crew is known for. Nothing wrong with GURPS at all.

Also I forgot, being an Obsidian game, thread will soon be full of people complaining about game-breaking bugs
rating_lulz.gif

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:lol::lol::lol:

It is amusing how this thread is going all kind of different places,and none of it have anything to do with the game.
99% of all threads dude. Loose banter on said game, until game releases.

Then it shifts to endless pages of people arguing over character builds lol.
Oh i am not saying it as a negative :). Tho it is less than a month away from release. Most game get a lot of game speculation and hype in that month,just look at disco communism. Ahhh can't wait for ELEX 2 glorious thread to emerge! The hype for the first one was really fun thing to experience :).

Diggfinger

Arcane
Other than shitposting, what else is there to do before the game comes out? There won't be any more important information coming out before launch. Even if there was I imagine most people are trying to avoid spoilers at this point.

We can brainstorm cool character names!
An obvious one is William McKinley :lol:(whom, in the game's faction was not assassinated in 1901, leaving corporations boundless freedoms to grow and prosper)

Other ones include Kurt Vonnegut (whom Boyarsky confrirmed is one of the inspirations for the setting)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Me, I'd rather sail the seas. Sure we're butt pirates but at least we're not exclusive.
I have 0 patience for game industry nonsense nowadays. Game is a roadmap to nowhere? I pirate. Game has micro-transactions? I'll pirate. Game is infected with denuvo malware? Same deal. Game is a complete product out the door without DLC plans, DRM, MTX, etc etc. Sure i'll buy.
Fortuitously enough, this always automatically means my money goes towards middle-market developers (where i want it to go) rather than ultra dark assholes, like EA and Activision. It's a win-win really...
Are there honestly not enough games you like that you have to pirate a million ones you hate? You realize that just by playing these bad games, you're still supporting them, right? Stop eating shit.

Why you to pirate today when you have Codex reviews and Juice tube play vids? You see if game is worth playing without needing to down load her. I do ''pirate'' titles which are buggy and not finished sometime sure but if they're worth playing (Did this with Kingmaker lately 2-3 hours of steam and 300 hours on Buccaneer Cost) they're worth buying when patched and finished I call it opting out of beta not pirating. People who pirate AAA games they claim to hate are not revolutionaries or even poor fags just spoiled children. I don't intend to pirate Outer words it will be either shit in which case I won't touch it with a pole or it somehow end up to be decent title in which I will buy it next year on :obviously: superior platform which values customers and patched.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why you to pirate today when you have Codex reviews and Juice tube play vids? You see if game is worth playing without needing to down load her. I do ''pirate'' titles which are buggy and not finished sometime sure but if they're worth playing (Did this with Kingmaker lately 2-3 hours of steam and 300 hours on Buccaneer Cost) they're worth buying when patched and finished I call it opting out of beta not pirating. People who pirate AAA games they claim to hate are not revolutionaries or even poor fags just spoiled children. I don't intend to pirate Outer words it will be either shit in which case I won't touch it with a pole or it somehow end up to be decent title in which I will buy it next year on superior platform and patched.
Yeah, another topic is that when you pirate a good game early, it's usually still full of bugs, and by the time the bugs are fixed, i.e. the game has finally reached a "1.0" state, it's already available at a discount. So pirating a good game on release will only make this good game less enjoyable, as would playing it legally of course, if it's really lacking polish.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Me, I'd rather sail the seas. Sure we're butt pirates but at least we're not exclusive.
I have 0 patience for game industry nonsense nowadays. Game is a roadmap to nowhere? I pirate. Game has micro-transactions? I'll pirate. Game is infected with denuvo malware? Same deal. Game is a complete product out the door without DLC plans, DRM, MTX, etc etc. Sure i'll buy.
Fortuitously enough, this always automatically means my money goes towards middle-market developers (where i want it to go) rather than ultra dark assholes, like EA and Activision. It's a win-win really...
Are there honestly not enough games you like that you have to pirate a million ones you hate? You realize that just by playing these bad games, you're still supporting them, right? Stop eating shit.

Why you to pirate today when you have Codex reviews and Juice tube play vids? You see if game is worth playing without needing to down load her. I do ''pirate'' titles which are buggy and not finished sometime sure but if they're worth playing (Did this with Kingmaker lately 2-3 hours of steam and 300 hours on Buccaneer Cost) they're worth buying when patched and finished I call it opting out of beta not pirating. People who pirate AAA games they claim to hate are not revolutionaries or even poor fags just spoiled children. I don't intend to pirate Outer words it will be either shit in which case I won't touch it with a pole or it somehow end up to be decent title in which I will buy it next year on :obviously: superior platform which values customers and patched.
Buahahaha,I do pirate everything,because i am a fucking thieve and like anarchy! I haven't played a fucking AAA in a decade maybe,all of them are shit and unfinished garbage. Do even wonder why are they still called AAA when the only thing they do is just pile more money,yet the quality is lower than indie games. I buy games that i really like and the devs are not very well off,thus needing the support. Generally do buy incline like Underrail,ATOM,ELEX etc etc! I will pirate Outer worlds because the fuckers burned me with pillars,and because they haven't delivered a good game in nearly a decade! People that buy this shit blindly do deserve to robbed of their money!!!

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Last Game of Ob-shit-ian I kinda liked to demo it was the Tranny but it still was bugged piece of shit even years after release and interesting concepts like the world in which evil trumphed and whole late bronze era heroic society meets (and got ass raped by) the iron wielding not Roman Legion was killed by amount of SJW content and pandering to millennials so not saying you do wrong Comrade but there's no way the game will be worth pirating.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
keep giving obsidian that free pass, keep getting screwed over.

That attitude is the protogenic cause of all decline.

During the RPG drought which followed the Renaissance era, people were so desperate that they began accepting anything, any bread crumbs thrown their way no matter how pathetic and pitiful. Game has 3 races? No problem, gimme. Dumbed down character progression? I'll take it. Binary dialogue options? There is nothing else to play anyway.

This is how the erosion of standard occurred and it goes on to this day.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Last Game of Ob-shit-ian I kinda liked to demo it was the Tranny but it still was bugged piece of shit even years after release and interesting concepts like the world in which evil trumphed and whole late bronze era heroic society meets (and got ass raped by) the iron wielding not Roman Legion was killed by amount of SJW content and pandering to millennials so not saying you do wrong Comrade but there's no way the game will be worth pirating.
:thumbsup:

Duraframe300

Arcane
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-on-switch-ports-co-development-and-next-gen
With regard to Virtous' work on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds specifically, Freeman says that the goal is to make the game look "as close as possible" to the other platforms.

The Outer Worlds, being ported to the Switch by Virtuos

"This requires creative thinking when it comes to frame-rate and memory optimization, especially for the larger maps with complex environments. We have a strong team of technical artists who are rearranging and streamlining workflow, and we've set up a VIP -- a Very Important Place -- in the room, which is basically a table with TV sets where we constantly cross-compare the Switch version with other SKUs. We are excited about our progress, because we feel that we're pushing the limits of what is possible on the Switch."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh hard thing to for a RPG addict like me,i do play everything rpg that comes out and looks promising at most. I may play it for only a few hours if it is garbage,but i will still play it.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-on-switch-ports-co-development-and-next-gen
With regard to Virtous' work on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds specifically, Freeman says that the goal is to make the game look "as close as possible" to the other platforms.

The Outer Worlds, being ported to the Switch by Virtuos

"This requires creative thinking when it comes to frame-rate and memory optimization, especially for the larger maps with complex environments. We have a strong team of technical artists who are rearranging and streamlining workflow, and we've set up a VIP -- a Very Important Place -- in the room, which is basically a table with TV sets where we constantly cross-compare the Switch version with other SKUs. We are excited about our progress, because we feel that we're pushing the limits of what is possible on the Switch."
This is going to run like shit like everything on the Switch.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I will pirate Outer worlds because the fuckers burned me with pillars,and because they haven't delivered a good game in nearly a decade! People that buy this shit blindly do deserve to robbed of their money!!!

''Me not like Obsidian but gonna pirate anyway because i want to play their game.'' What is this mentality lol. If you din't like their games for a whole decade why bother pirate their game now. Seems rather stupid. It would be easier to wait until reviews and the reaction of people, you don't lose your time pirating something that you gonna hate.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It would be easier to wait until reviews and the reaction of people

I would not even pirate a game before I see reviews and people's reaction. In general, I buy more games than I play, but would pirate out of principle when I am curious enough but there is hurt feelings involved. Only two games in last 5 years or so fit this criteria - Dragon Age Inquisition and... Outer Worlds.

Words can't describe how much regret I feel about my first ethical misstep but I am almost ready for a second. Double sellout to Microsoft and Epic and everything...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom