Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
First 20 minutes of The Outer Worlds.. No character creation tho , the sneak bastards don't want to shown until release. :argh::argh:

''You tried the best , now try the rest , Space's choice'' :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Gotta say that intro oozes some nice atmosphere. Much better than Obsidians latest offerings in getting me into the setting.

Then again its Tim and Leonard, their specialty. Fallout, Arcanum and VTMB all had great intros.

Codex Year of the Donut
Haven't paid too much attention to the story, has the exact timeline been laid out yet?
"EARTH 2285"(Estimated end date? Start date?) is circled on the paper, advertisement says the trip will take 10 years, then the monitor indicates that it's now 2320(I assume because the colony ship went adrift), but the guy says you've been adrift for about 70 years. Then the loading screen says it's the 60th anniversary, hm

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reported for

EIN7sNH.png
It's a matter of time x 1

farming

McPlusle

Savant
First 20 minutes of The Outer Worlds.. No character creation tho , the sneak bastards don't want to shown until release. :argh::argh:

There's a lot wrong here. Maybe I'm just really cynical but it does look like they've still put the "mediocre open-world FPS" part way, way before the RPG part. Also, considering stealth is apparently noteworthy enough for this video to show it so prominently, why the fuck are you not able to move/hide bodies or make disable enemies nonlethally?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe I'm just really cynical but it does look like they've still put the "mediocre open-world FPS" part way, way before the RPG part.

What does that mean, exactly? You see people on the Codex say stuff like this a lot (not just about this game). What does an action-RPG have to do in its first 20 minutes to convince you that it's totes an RPG and not a dumb action game for dumb people? Start out with a deep dialogue tree or something like that? Remember that this video skipped over character creation.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

There's a lot wrong here. Maybe I'm just really cynical but it does look like they've still put the "mediocre open-world FPS" part way, way before the RPG part.

Looks pretty similar to the start of FNV. The game put you in a area where you can test some skills into use in and out of conversation and later ( you can see other gameplays) give you a quest to feel how choices and consequences works when you get to EdgeWater.

McPlusle

Savant
What does that mean, exactly? You see people on the Codex say stuff like this a lot (not just about this game). What does an action-RPG have to do in its first 20 minutes to convince you that it's totes an RPG and not a dumb action game for dumb people? Start out with a deep dialogue tree or something like that? Remember that this video skipped over character creation.
The fact that there's an objective marker immediately in front of you when you first get control is a bad sign.

Looks pretty similar to the start of FNV. The game put you in a area where you can test some skills into use in and out of conversation and later ( you can see other gameplays) give you a quest to feel how choices and consequences works when you get to EdgeWater.
That's somewhat reassuring. I wasn't a New Vegas fan either, though, (though that was largely for mechanical reasons) so I guess there's just a strong chance that this won't be my thing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The fact that there's an objective marker immediately in front of you when you first get control is a bad sign.

So did New Vegas, though you could mod it out of the HUD and mostly ignore it on the map.

I wasn't a New Vegas fan either, though

Then this game is NOT FOR YOU. This is Fallout New Vegas in space, that's the goal and point of it. It's okay to not be into shit, but why people post in threads and criticize games that aren't even trying to be something for them, I'll never get. I'm not in the RTS threads going "dude this looks like it has base building, what a piece of shit."

Quillon

Arcane
They shoulda at least placed the marker on compass instead of in our faces.

ed: lol its also on the compass already, now if there is an option to disable the floating one...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom