Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
Character creation

Seems pretty normal. Apart from options, strange that they keep it hidden.

Or is that possible not the final CC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Things that have sucked for decades and continue to suck in this game:
- The far-away flickering of textures and LoD
- Tree models are hilariously bad
- No wind effects. What is this, Skyrim?
- Huge discrepancy in face animations and face models quality, even companion NPCs faces and animations are pretty bad by today's standards
- Mooks wearing helmets that cover their faces is a cheap-ass design shortcut
- Braindead enemy AI, can't aim, doesn't use cover, melee enemies rush towards your guns, screams barks like "I'm reloading" even when he's the last enemy standing, who is he talking to? This gets boring before the first shot is fired.
- The strong independent woman - there are still writers out there who aren't tired by that cliche
- Token stealth mechanics, just to cross "has stealth" off the list of features

On the good side:
- I like the voice acting. It does more for characterization than the 2006-era face animations and it's miles ahead of the amateurish Deadfire "full VO".
- The humor, when it's not too forced and not asking the player "get it?"

If there is anything that will make me give this game a try, it would be the C&C, but for a player to care about C&C, the game has to hit other targets first, and I'm not convinced about ToW hitting those.

For a Tim & Leonard this is a huge letdown. If it's a game by these two, I would expect that I'd be hyped like I haven't been in years, instead I'm mildly curious

Edit: When I take a look at the pros and cons again, this game would have been better off being isometric

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Woedica plays action RPGs on her PS4. She doesn't even own a PC. :M
How does such a being even come to the Codex? Roqua would feel vindicated lol

No there is a PC in my home I just never use it except to play certain video games (like maybe Disco Elysium!)
So you browse the Codex exclusively on your phone? God. Sis you need an intervention.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Huh, I was sure they were going to save it for release. No shapes after all, eh?

Blyad. Suka. Make me unsee this. Have anyone else noticed this in chacter creator and found, at the very least, unsettling? I'm talking about unnatural eyebrow arch angle degree for female faces. As in, the bane of noob trannies that makes them manly as fuck despite everything they try to look feminine.

Duraframe300

Arcane
IHaveHugeNick , Duraframe300 , now is your chance to say what of what I said is wrong, factually incorrect.

One thing only I strongly disagree with (The rest is your opinion and I can respect that)

For a Tim & Leonard this is a huge letdown.

See, I see A LOT of Tim and Leonard in this game. From the writing over the approach to rpg/game design.
And several of the excpectations you have are just a big WTF to me, like:

And other gameplay features you critizize.
A: Since when are Tim and Leonard known for flawless gameplay. They made Arcanum and Bloodlines.
B: The pillars of Troika are literary dialouge/combat/stealth. So, its going to get included. Period.

There's tons of other things which I can accept as critisisms, but in a comparison to their previous titles just boogles my mind.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Edit: When I take a look at the pros and cons again, this game would have been better off being isometric

RPG Codex: ''If a RPG exist , it's probably better being Isometric.''
But seriously, all that FPP brings out in ToW is lack of polish:

The combat? The 1st person combat is obvious shit, will appeal to no one but retarded Fallout 4 generation who thinks Fallout 3 is an old game and started the series.
Character animations? Zero. In conversation you get the familiar Bethesda zoom-in frontal view of a featureless face which either moves its eyebrows or its lips, and rarely both at the same time. It has like 5 possible positions of either

AwesomeButton

Patron
IHaveHugeNick , Duraframe300 , now is your chance to say what of what I said is wrong, factually incorrect.

One thing only I strongly disagree with (The rest is your opinion and I can respect that)

For a Tim & Leonard this is a huge letdown.

See, I see A LOT of Tim and Leonard in this game. From the writing over the approach to rpg/game design.
And several of the excpectations you have are just a big WTF to me, like:

And other gameplay features you critizize.
A: Since when are Tim and Leonard known for flawless gameplay. They made Arcanum and Bloodlines.
B: The pillars of Troika are literary dialouge/combat/stealth. So, its going to get included. Period.

There's tons of other things which I can accept as critisisms, but in a comparison to their previous titles just boogles my mind.
My criticism has always been that the game doesn't innovate/bring anything new to the genre. Tim and Leonard are known for innovation in RPGs. VTMB was a hugely ambitious game in its time, so was Arcanum, not to mention Fallout that was a genre-defining title for years. Do you see anything special about ToW, besides it being advertised with these two names? Pray tell what it is.

S.torch

Arbiter
How hard is to make good character hair? most hair styles for females are awful to look at. They're just two or three options in which the hair styles look like actual female hair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom