Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Codex pre-release:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAA BEST RPG EVERRRRRRRR TIMMMMMMMMM LOVEEEEEEEEEEE <3

Codex after release:

Yea I don't like this and that,,,,,,, but overall it's not THAT bad, it's a great RPG for 2018!

Codex 3 years later:

It's SHIT ! I always knew it from the START! Don't waste your time on this POS! I finished the game 7 times and HATE IT! Literally UNPLAYABLE.

citation: PoE, Numa Numa

Doktor Best

Arcane
Is Sawyer involved with this in anyway?

If not, it might be Obsidian's first good game :incline:

Yeah no ill be fine if they reach the quality of New Vegas again, which Sawyer was the lead designer of.

Codex pre-release:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAA BEST RPG EVERRRRRRRR TIMMMMMMMMM LOVEEEEEEEEEEE <3

Codex after release:

Yea I don't like this and that,,,,,,, but overall it's not THAT bad, it's a great RPG for 2018!

Codex 3 years later:

It's SHIT ! I always knew it from the START! Don't waste your time on this POS! I finished the game 7 times and HATE IT! Literally UNPLAYABLE.

You forgot:

Codex 10 years later:

Its a classic! They dont make games like this anymore.

Sizzle

Arcane
Is Sawyer involved with this in anyway?
He's the design director, his touch reaches everything they do now.

MCA was the Creative Director (not to mention - one of the founders), and he wasn't involved in every Obsidian project.

Though Sawyer seems like he has a somewhat more forceful personality (at least when it comes to business) than MCA, so the odds of him being part of every upcoming game (even if only from a design analysis side) seem higher.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MCA was the Creative Director (not to mention - one of the founders), and he wasn't involved in every Obsidian project.

Though Sawyer seems like he has a somewhat more forceful personality (at least when it comes to business) than MCA, so the odds of him being part of every upcoming game (even if only from a design analysis side) seem higher.
Chris said his title was purely in name. It didn't give him any additional authority or power over projects. Sawyer's already confirmed his gives him some authority.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't gotten the impression that Sawyer's role as Design Director so far consists of anything more than him playing the games and giving a few words of advice.

BTW Boyarsky is Obsidian's Creative Director now.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm late to the party but is there any actual info about the game? Like maybe some basic stuff? Is it real time, is it first person?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Re-posting "Almost Everything We Know About Project Indiana" from Obsidian General Thread, revised with recent info:

People
The Game
  • It's a multi-platform action RPG and bigger (in terms of budget and team size) than PoE 2
  • It's a brand new IP owned by Obsidian. Not a sequel of anything or licensed product. Setting is being built from the ground up by Cain/Boyarsky and co.
  • Probably not set in usual fantasy setting. Steampunk? Post-apoc? Sci-fi?
    • Cain's Facebook post in 2014: "I'm thinking about science games again."
    • He also posted somewhat Steampunk-ish photos, but he deleted his Facebook account
  • It's using Unreal Engine 4. Obsidian has been made prototypes with UE4 at least from 2015, and one of them, Star Wars Mos Eisley recreation (non-game), released to public in September 2016
Publisher/Release

Zer0wing

Cipher
Speak for yourself, dear
shitposter.png

Zer0wing

Cipher
Anybody understands what that means practically? I don't get it. Will Obsidian be able to make sequels that they own?
Private Divisions can hire another studio to make a sequel to Obsidian's game whenever the latter likes it or not and vice versa but Obsidian still has the rights for the franchise. Think if Interplay still had rights for Fallout but it's still Bethesda who develops these games.

Flou

Arbiter
Re-posting "Almost Everything We Know About Project Indiana" from Obsidian General Thread, revised with recent info:

People
The Game
  • It's a multi-platform action RPG and bigger (in terms of budget and team size) than PoE 2
  • It's a brand new IP owned by Obsidian. Not a sequel of anything or licensed product. Setting is being built from the ground up by Cain/Boyarsky and co.
  • Probably not set in usual fantasy setting. Steampunk? Post-apoc? Sci-fi?
    • Cain's Facebook post in 2014: "I'm thinking about science games again."
    • He also posted somewhat Steampunk-ish photos, but he deleted his Facebook account
  • It's using Unreal Engine 4. Obsidian has been made prototypes with UE4 at least from 2015, and one of them, Star Wars Mos Eisley recreation (non-game), released to public in September 2016
Publisher/Release

UrbaNebula posted this on Obsidian forums:

"So I was digging around on Justia Trademarks out of interest, mainly looking for any new information on the Starfield trademark filed by Bethesda Game Studios. Out of interest I started looking into other projects, Fallout, New Vegas and so on, to see when they were filed and the different stages and so on. Basically, I was very bored. I then looked up Pillars of Eternity, and clicked through to the Obsidian page to see the other things they had filed and when. I was expecting to see things like Project Eternity, Tyranny and so on.

Then I noticed that just over a week ago there were four new trademarks filed for something called The Outer Worlds. These trademarks seem to include everything from videogame software to printed media to board/trading card games. You can see the trademarks for yourself here: https://trademarks.j...nt-inc-1303648/ "

Shortened the original post a bit since it went on with speculation.

Flou

Arbiter
Wasn't David Williams on Deadfire? Swapped with Bro-heins?

Who knows. We can't even know for sure that's specifically a photo of just the game's devteam and not some random horde of Obsidian people who happened to be in the area.

It is the team photo, I asked Aarik about it. Not everyone is in the picture though, Justin Bell isn't in the picture and he is working on the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UrbaNebula posted this on Obsidian forums:

"So I was digging around on Justia Trademarks out of interest, mainly looking for any new information on the Starfield trademark filed by Bethesda Game Studios. Out of interest I started looking into other projects, Fallout, New Vegas and so on, to see when they were filed and the different stages and so on. Basically, I was very bored. I then looked up Pillars of Eternity, and clicked through to the Obsidian page to see the other things they had filed and when. I was expecting to see things like Project Eternity, Tyranny and so on.

Then I noticed that just over a week ago there were four new trademarks filed for something called The Outer Worlds. These trademarks seem to include everything from videogame software to printed media to board/trading card games. You can see the trademarks for yourself here: https://trademarks.j...nt-inc-1303648/ "

Shortened the original post a bit since it went on with speculation.

Well spotted!

Interesting that the trademark doesn't belong to Dark Rock Industries Limited, the shell company that owns the Pillars of Eternity IP and trademark.

Flou

Arbiter
Well spotted!

Interesting that the trademark doesn't belong to Dark Rock Industries Limited, the shell company that owns the Pillars of Eternity IP and trademark.

Maybe their contract with Private Division prevents the IP from belonging to a shell company.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom