Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds to launch on the Epic Games Store and Microsoft Store, only coming to Steam in 2020

Murk

Arcane
Just fuckin' lol. You saw two games get absolutely blasted in shit after going Epic-Exclusive(tm) and the dingbats went right after.

cosmicray

Savant
Epic is just an insurance provider. If your game sells like crap on their store, they'll cover it.
giphy.gif

Codex Year of the Donut
I've probably been one of the more vocal defenders of Outer Worlds in the game's thread but I have zero interest in purchasing it after this decision.
Something publishers and developers alike need to consider is that it's not just about the money, it's also about their relationship with their customers. Irrespective of how you view the games they've developed there's a reason companies like CDProjekt, Grinding Gear Games, Digital Extremes, Larian, etc., are regarded so highly by the people who consume their products.
Look at the subreddit for this game right now, Obsidian(and/or the publisher) effectively destroyed the goodwill Obsidian has built up with its customers for years in a single day.
FI72ehW.jpg

Shilandra

Learned
I've probably been one of the more vocal defenders of Outer Worlds in the game's thread but I have zero interest in purchasing it after this decision.
Something publishers and developers alike need to consider is that it's not just about the money, it's also about their relationship with their customers. Irrespective of how you view the games they've developed there's a reason companies like CDProjekt, Grinding Gear Games, Digital Extremes, Larian, etc., are regarded so highly by the people who consume their products.
Look at the subreddit for this game right now, Obsidian(and/or the publisher) effectively destroyed the goodwill Obsidian has built up with its customers for years in a single day.
FI72ehW.jpg

You know, I was kinda sad and upset before but not really anymore. I realized that instead of bringing true competition to steam by making their store better service that brings more revenue to the devs and/or lower prices to the consumers or by giving consumers more direct control or ownerships of their games like GoG tries to Epic opted to instead go the predatory route and bribe devs with stupid sums of money so they could force steam users into their ecostytem if they want to play the games they're excited for.

People wanted competition for steam to bring about positive change for the consumers and devs alike. Artificial restrictions on where, when and how you can purchase your games aren't positive change. But hey, when the finger closes on the monkey's paw you deal with the consequences and maybe learn not to make foolish wishes in the future.

I'm done being upset about being taken advantage of and jerked around. I'm more than the money in my wallet and if this is the direction PC gaming wants to take thats no skin on my back, or money out of my pocket.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whatever. I don't really care what platform I get games on. I don't particularly like steam, nor do I like epic, so I'll just go buy it whenever I feel like it from wherever it's released on at the time I want to play it.

I still don't get this brand loyalty shit either, everyone hated steam before epic store came out, why is everyone defending it now?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Whatever. I don't really care what platform I get games on. I don't particularly like steam, nor do I like epic, so I'll just go buy it whenever I feel like it from wherever it's released on at the time I want to play it.

I still don't get this brand loyalty shit either, everyone hated steam before epic store came out, why is everyone defending it now?

Well, some people like have their games grouped into neat, organized libraries (an understandable impulse in human nature, but a compulsive one generally not worth indulging or cultivating). There's also a generalized attachment to the Steam community and an unwillingness to see it dispersed across different platforms.

Other than that, while competition generally benefits consumers, there's serious skepticism that Epic will be in the best interest of consumers (they've taken heavily pro-production/development posture), at least not in the near term -- they could become a Nintendo, which immunizes itself against the bargain bin.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Epic is not competing with Steam. Instead, they go for exclusives by bribing other publishers and devs. They're making a power move on us, the gamers, so we come to their store rather than have the choice of store from which to buy. Fuck 'em.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
IN A WORLD... where most PC gamers have amassed a backlog SO HUGE they could go easily 2-3 years without buying a new game AND STILL never have to replay a game... it really impresses me how angry people get about the Epic timed exclusivity.

Don't get me wrong, I think it sucks too. I just expected people to be more blase about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom