Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds to launch on the Epic Games Store and Microsoft Store, only coming to Steam in 2020

hexer

inb4 new Vampire the Masquerade game revealed as an Epic store exclusive too

Dux

Arcane
Fuck Epic Store. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck 'em all and their faggy little exclusivity (i.e. excluding gamers) deals. I hope they all go tits up sooner rather than later. Additionally, considering Obisidian's track record since New Vegas, you probably wouldn't miss much anyway.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Just fuckin' lol. You saw two games get absolutely blasted in shit after going Epic-Exclusive(tm) and the dingbats went right after.
I wonder if those sentiments will stick as more games go Epic. Are folk still going to hold this decision against Obsidian or the publisher after a year of being bombarded with Epic exclusive after Epic exclusive? The taste of anger is nearly imperceptible when spread too thinly.

That's how you turn people to pirate your shit.
What bothers me about customers turning pirate due to anti-consumer practices is they don't give anything up. Principles require sacrifice.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Although Ancestors is a true Epic exclusive while Outer World is also available in the MS store, so that suggests at least an element of joint decision making I guess - would assume one gets more Epic cash for true exclusives than sharing with another store?
The choice between Epic and MS is like choosing which testicle you want crushed with a steel rebar.

For all it's worth I don't really see Paradox going hand in hand with Epic.

Ruzen

Savant
For all it's worth I don't really see Paradox going hand in hand with Epic.
Yes the new CEO doesn't seem like a complete suit unlike the previous one. Fredrik was minimal spending maximum profit guy. Ebba seems more friendly so far. She increased the staff and building new office now.

Outmind

Augur
Regardless of one's thoughts on the Epic store, why do people buy games on day one anyway?

It's smarter to just wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLCs. By the time that's out you get to pick the platform.

It's not like this is a crappy battle royale you have to play between March and July if you want to have a good time with it.

Murk

Arcane
Just fuckin' lol. You saw two games get absolutely blasted in shit after going Epic-Exclusive(tm) and the dingbats went right after.
I wonder if those sentiments will stick as more games go Epic. Are folk still going to hold this decision against Obsidian or the publisher after a year of being bombarded with Epic exclusive after Epic exclusive? The taste of anger is nearly imperceptible when spread too thinly.

A quick flashback of the "boycott Call of Duty" steam group comes to mind, where-in 99% of the people in the group were playing the game in question while in a group dedicated to boycotting it.

I'm sure most will break as soon as their specific game goes exclusive, if it gets to that point, but for someone like me who is so bitter and spiteful at the idea of having to have multiple clients, I don't think I'll budge.

Also, there are so few new games that I care about to be tempted. The only one that came close was Metro Exodus, which I have no issue waiting for it to release with DLC bundled since I don't care much to pay 60 dollars for a cinematic shooter.

I guess if Battle Brothers or Colony Ship goes Epic Exclusive then I'll have to reconsider my morals spite.

For what it's worth, I do think the "well fuck you, I'll just pirate it!" reaction isn't the best, but I think most people are also quite happy to hide their pettiness under a mask of righteous indignation.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
BU BU BU MUH RAM I DON'T WANT ANOTHER CLIENT I WANT MY GAMES ALL IN ONE PLACE

How pathetic. There is serious competition for the first time and people find an excuse to bitch and moan.

Consoles: "I'm not particularly amicable towards the exclusives business model but I suppose I understand complex market pressures exerted in a fiercely competitive environment. Therefore I will go and reluctantly purchase two more 500 dollar systems so I can play all the exclusive games."

PC: "SO MAD RN EPIC MAN EVIL WHY FORCE ME TO DOWNLOAD A FREE PROGRAM SUCH UNFAIR MUCH UNREASONABLE IMMA SUE BAD EPIC MAN AND IMMA BOYCOTT HIM AND THEN, AND...AND THEN IMMA PIRATE ALL HIS GAMES!1!!11"

Gamers.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I prefer DRM-free so piratebay it is.

I wonder if Epic store put these "exclusive" games 50-75% sale exactly 12 months after release?

Just when we though PC master race is saved with a good system now we have to rewind our clocks backward just because daddy Epic puts his cock in these developers?
epic can't do that, the developer is who chooses the pricing and discounts

BU BU BU MUH RAM I DON'T WANT ANOTHER CLIENT I WANT MY GAMES ALL IN ONE PLACE

How pathetic. There is serious competition for the first time and people find an excuse to bitch and moan.

Consoles: "I'm not particularly amicable towards the exclusives business model but I suppose I understand complex market pressures exerted in a fiercely competitive environment. Therefore I will go and reluctantly purchase two more 500 dollar systems so I can play all the exclusive games."

PC: "SO MAD RN EPIC MAN EVIL WHY FORCE ME TO DOWNLOAD A FREE PROGRAM SUCH UNFAIR MUCH UNREASONABLE IMMA SUE BAD EPIC MAN AND IMMA BOYCOTT HIM AND THEN, AND...AND THEN IMMA PIRATE ALL HIS GAMES!1!!11"

Gamers.

You mean pc players have more dignity? I agree!

cosmicray

Savant
AS9mJeK.jpg
Could someone explain why querying root certificates is something shady? The Epic has its certificate signed by one of the certificate centers(via their root cert). How else do you suppose Epic Client should check it? And even if they're using self-signed certs, Steam's browser should be doing the same to connect to https links anyway.

There's so many intelligent people and yet nobody at TakeTwo realized that putting your game in Chinese hands is dangerous?

The Epic Store insurance deal is appealing - if you have no confidence in your game. Why would you take it unless you expect your game to not sell?

The only thing Obsidian can do right now is pull out of the contract. People would root for them then.
It's "one and done" deal for Take Two, they won't publish anything for Obsidian anymore. Financially, assuming they've got a deal to cover lower sales, they have nothing to lose. Public rage will be centered on Epic and Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom