Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds to launch on the Epic Games Store and Microsoft Store, only coming to Steam in 2020

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
BU BU BU MUH RAM I DON'T WANT ANOTHER CLIENT I WANT MY GAMES ALL IN ONE PLACE

How pathetic. There is serious competition for the first time and people find an excuse to bitch and moan.

Consoles: "I'm not particularly amicable towards the exclusives business model but I suppose I understand complex market pressures exerted in a fiercely competitive environment. Therefore I will go and reluctantly purchase two more 500 dollar systems so I can play all the exclusive games."

PC: "SO MAD RN EPIC MAN EVIL WHY FORCE ME TO DOWNLOAD A FREE PROGRAM SUCH UNFAIR MUCH UNREASONABLE IMMA SUE BAD EPIC MAN AND IMMA BOYCOTT HIM AND THEN, AND...AND THEN IMMA PIRATE ALL HIS GAMES!1!!11"

Gamers.

You mean pc players have more dignity?

Yes!

Alas the above aren't two people arguing. It's just the same exact dimwit with a cognitive disonance problem.

Repressed Homosexual

How pathetic. There is serious competition for the first time and people find an excuse to bitch and moan.

Consoles: "I'm not particularly amicable towards the exclusives business model but I suppose I understand complex market pressures exerted in a fiercely competitive environment. Therefore I will go and reluctantly purchase two more 500 dollar systems so I can play all the exclusive games."

PC: "SO MAD RN EPIC MAN EVIL WHY FORCE ME TO DOWNLOAD A FREE PROGRAM SUCH UNFAIR MUCH UNREASONABLE IMMA SUE BAD EPIC MAN AND IMMA BOYCOTT HIM AND THEN, AND...AND THEN IMMA PIRATE ALL HIS GAMES!1!!11"

Gamers.

I'm starting to think that, if not when it comes to leftism and feminism, when it comes to entitlement at least, game journos are right about gamers.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
56r5ujl_d.jpg

Their goal from day one was targeting both casual and hardcore RPG gamers with their "dream project".

I remember a couple of years ago when Tim Cain spoke at that conference and was playing both sides of the table like a weasel. Assuring hardcore gamers that it will be an old school RPG in its core, while promising casuals it will be easy to get into (geometric shapes instead of numbers, etc.) and so on.

Obviously they want a massive, consolidated target audience for their "retirement project".

casual AND hardcore gamers

pc AND console

mainstream success AND cult success

Also that's why the art direction is a mishmash of Overwatch, Guardians of the Galaxy, Borderlands, Fallout, Bioshock, Fortnite, etc.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
It's bad for us customers. If it succeeds, Epic will be one of many to follow. Other platforms are likely to retaliate with exclusives of their own to attract subscribers. It might even become the new standard. So better denounce it / not support it right away, no?

I think this has already happened. In a way it's Epic who are the one who followed after major publishers already started to decamp from Steam to their own platforms.

I wonder if Chris Avellone is going to twitter about this.

:D

It's possible that "Obsidian management" could have taken a stand to prevent this from happening, but this was the decision of the publisher who Chris told us had better instincts than Obsidian management last year: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...rarchies-and-more.121588/page-57#post-5593685
2wltxn.jpg

hexer

I remember a couple of years ago when Tim Cain spoke at that conference and was playing both sides of the table like a weasel. Assuring hardcore gamers that it will be an old school RPG in its core, while promising casuals it will be easy to get into (geometric shapes instead of numbers, etc.) and so on.

Reboot Develop 2017? Damn bro, I was there too.

And speaking of catering to youngesters, it was obvious from the first Overwatch-like screenshots of TOW where they were heading :-/

Gamers.

Consoles and complex in one sentence. You keep doing you, someone will bite eventually.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The correct way to read the title of this post is:
"The Outer Worlds to launch in 2020, bug free, complete and at greatly reduced price."

Also torrenting is peasantry, direct downloads os where it's at, if you want to pirate a AA game because its developers publishers wanted a bit more of a cut when they whored out their own work.

epic can't do that, the developer publisher is who chooses the pricing and discounts
ftfy; I doubt Obsidian will be the ones earning more money by selling their game on a platform selling mainly to micro-transaction addicts; unless they quickly implement dancemoves and funny hats at low prices.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Whats the problem with it being on Epic?

What's the problem with releasing DRM-free? CDPR does it.

The problem is that each successive DRM client is yet another thing to install, yet another password to manage and account to keep track of, yet another vector through which one's personal information can be compromised, and since they're all DRM, yet another form of spyware that will probably harvest information from your system whether they admit to it or not.

Steam has been universally adopted for a long time. Furthermore, Steam doesn't bribe developers to use its platform instead of someone else's.

What's more, many of the developers and/or publishers whose games have gone or are going Epic exclusive are behaving unethically. For example, 4A Games allowed customers to pre-order Metro Exodus on Steam for a very long time before suddenly delaying the release date by a year, forcing Steam to issue an explanation and apology. The developers of Genesis Alpha One have continued to use the Steam Community and their Steam store page to advertise their game, even though they're selling it on the Epic store.

In fact, a great majority of developers/publishers being bribed by Epic are continuing to use Steam to advertise their games. It's not a good strategy, of course, because the great majority of Steam users are angered by this behavior.

For the first time in over a decade, I've begun pirating games again, and it's safer and faster than ever thanks to increasing broadband speed and high-quality professional VPNs (private trackers are also a bonus).

If you go Epic-exclusive, then I make the decision to acquire your game DRM-free, because I can and you can neither detect nor stop me. I'll pay you for it once you either release an actual DRM-free version, or put it on fucking Steam, ass-cunts. I'm not installing more than one fucking DRM client.

When people care more about the launcher than the game.

I'll stop caring about the launcher when developers and publishers stop caring about the launcher. They aren't the ones who potentially have to install handfuls of DRM clients (which is what these "launchers" actually are) on their computers.

Don't want, don't buy, but pirating because you cannot play it on Uncle Gaben's launcher is dumb.

Or—and I know this is a strange idea for people born in 1998 who think that day-one DLC, pre-order incentives, and invasive DRM are normal, but bear with me—they could release DRM-free (gasp!), like CDPR.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

I guess since your implausible overly-religious-guy act failed a while ago you're now relegated to mindless edgelord trolling.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have absolutely no consumer loyalty to Steam whatsoever, and I fully support competition―but not in the form of DRM client exclusives on essentially the exact same fucking OS and hardware range.

Steam doesn't require, demand, bribe, or otherwise coerce developers or publishers to secure exclusivity. That's the key issue here. The very fact that the creation of DRM client exclusivity is Epic's primary business strategy is an excellent reason to oppose and boycott their DRM client, and that's also one of the main reasons I've opposed and boycotted EA's DRM client since before it went live (though in fairness, EA's status as a major force of decline made that a no-brainer regardless).

That said, if this is the way the industry's going, you apologists do realize that Steam can and likely will start bribing developers and publishers to go Steam-exclusive, right? The "competition" will be over then, for fairly obvious reasons.

Seethe

Arbiter
I have absolutely no consumer loyalty to Steam whatsoever, and I fully support competition―but not in the form of DRM client exclusives on essentially the exact same fucking OS and hardware range.

Steam doesn't require, demand, bribe, or otherwise coerce developers or publishers to secure exclusivity. That's the key issue here. The very fact that the creation of DRM client exclusivity is Epic's primary business strategy is an excellent reason to oppose and boycott their DRM client, and that's also one of the main reasons I've opposed and boycotted EA's DRM client since before it went live (though in fairness, EA's status as a major force of decline made that a no-brainer regardless).

That said, if this is the way the industry's going, you apologists do realize that Steam can and likely will start bribing developers and publishers to go Steam-exclusive, right? The "competition" will be over then, for fairly obvious reasons.

They can go both fuck themselves. The only reason I'll still buy on Steam is because that's where the rest of my games are. I still don't want to spoil by HDD with a billion launchers. And Epic Games Store launcher is trash as it is anyway.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ah, beautiful. Look at all the steamtards madly butthurt that a game is not released on Steam from day 1.

It's not even exclusive to Epic this time and still the butthurt reaches insane levels.

None of you would've said anything if the game was released on Steam alone. None.

I wonder if Epic store put these "exclusive" games 50-75% sale exactly 12 months after release?

Just when we though PC master race is saved with a good system now we have to rewind our clocks backward just because daddy Epic puts his cock in these developers?

The sign of a true imbecilic steamtard.

Yeah, "PC master race". :lol: That's what a master race is, being a poorfag buying all games at 50-75% off. :lol:
And saved indeed. I mean devaluing games to the point where pretty much the real price of a game is the sale price and the thousands of shovelware that take advantage of the stupidity of steamtards who buy anything that has a "sale" tag on it sure saved PC gaming.
Without that how would we have ever lived without the huge amount of awesome games that was released since Steam launched?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom