Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Arkane founder Raf Colantonio resigns (aka The Prince of Failure)

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
"Also the economics of AAA are what they are to satisfy huge money makers at the top."

This is very true. A lot of people seem to think the AAA industry is what it is right now because publishers genuinely aren't making enough money. Which isn't true. What's really happening is that publishers are finding more and more ways to push the boundaries of awfulness in order to maximize their profits.

Don Peste

Arcane

Don Peste

Arcane

I’m very grateful. To Bethesda for betting on us, you know take us from games that were not polished enough to Dishonored and that was our real breakthrough so I did it, I did what I wanted and I’m grateful to everyone and I hope they’re grateful as well; because I regenerated a lot of money for them. But then three games later and like OK what can I do now? And never one of those again. I can only fail at some point. Is it what I really want to do? So I needed that time to think and see exactly why am I doing this, instead of autopilot I want thing to be intentional and when you’re attracted to an organization that belongs to another big organization, then you’re in autopilot and you’re doing things not because you want to do them but because you have to do them, and that goes out of a little bit of creativity and also you know finally after 7 years as much as I loved everybody at ZeniMax and Bethesda, for 7 years suddenly I don’t drive my boat etc. I mean I was driving my boat, like my teams but it was not entirely in control of my best at this point, it just doesn’t just feel like my nature. And that’s why I had to try and it sounds crazy and suicidal. Because, you know, people were like "dude! you are working with this awesome company and you can keep on making those games forever making a great salary, so why would you do that?" Why would I do that is because I want to experience it, I want to define myself and I want to see who I am without that, and it feels amazing.

I love it for its nemesis system. it's a little more of same, I loved the first one and I think the nemesis system and overall the feeling of the game is so great that it keeps me interested but there are moments that it feels a little bit like a grind, I wish there were more than the nemesis system, I think they showed that playing a story is actually a little more interesting than writing a story. I wish all games go to this playing story. by the way that's why a lot of indie games go there because I think it’s cheaper and also more powerful for the players which pretty much offer story like a movie ... and there's nothing wrong with that but, games have this thing that is called interactivity activity that allows us to take games somewhere else than trying to mimic movies. So that's why I really appreciate play story games.
I played Crawl, Hammerwatch, Dark Wood, and Subnautica. Yeah, I spent some time on Subnautica that was pretty fun.

Latelistener

Arcane
Raph is right. Cinematics are cancer and a money sink. Witcher 3 was so filled with them some people even dropped it out of boredom. Games are not books or movies, but on the one hand we have graphomania (Numanuma) and on the other the wish to make it as much "cinematic" as possible: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...ot_camera_trick_was_a_tough_sell_for_devs.php

I couldn't care less if the game was made with "single shot" camera or not, it shouldn't be a feature for a game, but Sony keeps pushing this shit like it's the second coming, to the point that almost all of their big titles are more or less TPS games with a huge amount of cutscenes. They don't have many actual games, not to say about immersive sims or rpgs.

Also, Witcher fanboys are the worst: they're rabid and they're everywhere.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Cinematics are not games and shit, but I thought we have known this for 10 years and more.

I have btw never bought Witcher 3 for this sole reason and a lot of popamole games seem to allocate 90% of their budget on facial animation and just 10% on same generic beat-them-up style minigame in between.

Funposter

Arcane
The greatest sin of TW3's cinematics wasn't being boring or unnecessary - it was being compressed, 900p recordings of the game at medium settings.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Witcher 3 cinematics is pretty well done for what it is, but yeah, should be in more higher res.

At least the in game cutscene are rendered in real time they usually look great.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I never understood the circlejerk for God of War's camera thing.
I might be mistaken but didn't all three of the Dead Space games do the same thing with no fanfare?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I never understood the circlejerk for God of War's camera thing.
I might be mistaken but didn't all three of the Dead Space games do the same thing with no fanfare?
Didn't Half-Life 1? Is there really that much of a difference between this seamless/interactive cutscene stuff being done in an FPS and a third-person game? God knows why people act like this is a huge revolution in the gaming medium worth celebrating, I vastly prefer just a simple pre-rendered custscene that I can skip on replays.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The kids like it I guess.

Sony wouldn't have all their games adopting the third person over the shoulder shit if it didn't make $$$.
We also wouldn't have that vocal minority crying that Cyberpunk 2077 is first person only.

RoSoDude

Arcane
The downward spiral for Arkane continues. Arkane Lyon just posted a job listing for a "Monetization Designer".

https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/2301

Arkane Studios is seeking a talented and experienced Monetization Designer to join us in making AAA games.

The candidate will collaborate with the designers, production and programming teams to manage the monetization features.

Responsibilities
  • Develop and manage the economy/monetization components
  • Implement and design monetization related features and content in the natural continuity of the game’s creative direction
  • Coordinating closely with production and other departments to meet projects goals
  • Design game features that monetize and re-engage players in a consumer-friendly way
  • Review reporting on in-game currency usage, earning and purchasing
  • Drive initiatives for monetizing the customer base
Requirements
  • Experience as a monetization designer or similar role in the gaming industry
  • Excellent knowledge of the monetization of video games
  • Knowledge and understanding of game design fundamentals
  • Strong communication and analytical skills
  • Ability to work in a fast-paced and confidential environment
  • Fluent in French and in English
This position is located in Lyon, France.

Boy, I sure am glad Bethesda's numbskull marketing division slapped their defunct Prey IP onto Arkane's System Shock 2.5 to piss off people holding out for the original sequel, create brand confusion, and possibly spell the death of Arkane's principled design ethos (to the degree that it still wasn't compromised).

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
"Monetization Designer"

:what:

This is what the gaming industry has become. And to think just 15 years ago we were complaining about everything becoming an MMO.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What kind of job is that anyway? Sitting around all day trying to figure out new ways to manipulate people into spending even more money on shit like hats and weapon skins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom