Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Black

Arcane
Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War, Uncharted, Spiderman...possibly Days Gone soon.

Maybe not perfect games or for everyone but all at least "worthwhile".
I take it your whiles are worth even less than mine, impressive. And for the record, I'm replaying NWN 2 OC just to remember how bad it was.
2) you forgot to mention that those online subscriptions come with free games to play.
If you have to buy something and KEEP PAYING to keep it then it's hardly free.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Supposed devkit controller

0im0ooqojoo21.jpg

GrainWetski

Arcane
What do you mean? He gives Sony money every month to play multiplayer for free and get free games. What a deal!

1) There are also digital stores on consoles with sales
2) you forgot to mention that those online subscriptions come with free games to play.
3) people who dont play extensively will maybe play 3-4 games a year, which means they still spend less money than on a gaming pc.
5) 80 bucks is only for absolute fringe cases. I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 on release day for 51€

I personally prefer pc simply because the console provides too little variety and lacks the games i enjoy the most, but neglecting the appeal of consoles by exaggerating cost points always seemed a bit dishonest to me.

If you're that casual, a PC is even cheaper since you obviously won't be needing a top-end PC and you can wait for 5-10$ sales. Consoles are generally much more expensive in the long run regardless of how you slice it. This generation you even have retards buying a slightly better version of the consoles because they made them so underpowered to begin with. That'll happen the next generation because retards are retards.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Consoles are generally much more expensive in the long run regardless of how you slice it.

This is snake oil salesman talk, they are not 'more expensive in the long run'.

- You don't have to play online
- You can wait untill games will be on sale digitaly or physicaly in your local shop

Anyone with an IQ above 70 can deduct this himself.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also don't forget that consoles actualy have demos, something that is not on PC since i don't remember when.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Bloodborne

Only reason to own a PS4

Horizon, God of War, Uncharted

A mediocre open world "RPG", an overrated character action game, and a cinematic popamole fest. Great line up!

Spiderman

Haven't played it, but I heard it's a good superhero game so I'll give you this one.

...possibly Days Gone soon.

And finally, a yet to be released open world fuckfest, but this time with zombies. Already clamoring to pull my PS4 out of retirement as a glorified paperweight and dust collector!

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Actualy PS4 exclusive lineup has been the worst ever, I hope PS5 will bring good games because the console will not have gimped specs on release like PS4 had.

Doktor Best

Arcane
What do you mean? He gives Sony money every month to play multiplayer for free and get free games. What a deal!

1) There are also digital stores on consoles with sales
3) people who dont play extensively will maybe play 3-4 games a year, which means they still spend less money than on a gaming pc.
5) 80 bucks is only for absolute fringe cases. I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 on release day for 51€

I personally prefer pc simply because the console provides too little variety and lacks the games i enjoy the most, but neglecting the appeal of consoles by exaggerating cost points always seemed a bit dishonest to me.

If you're that casual, a PC is even cheaper since you obviously won't be needing a top-end PC and you can wait for 5-10$ sales. Consoles are generally much more expensive in the long run regardless of how you slice it. This generation you even have retards buying a slightly better version of the consoles because they made them so underpowered to begin with. That'll happen the next generation because retards are retards.

Yes you have to keep paying to play those games, but the argument was that you are paying for online play, so if youre going by that logic you can indeed argue that you get "free" games ontop of that.

You get 12 months PS+ membership for 40$. Add a regular PS4 ontop of that which goes for like what, 200$ since 3 years or something and you have a cost point of 240$. For three years thats 320 bucks. Throw 3 "must have" exclusives + a few games on digital sale in and you are paying maybe 500$ for all your casual gaming needs. How will you beat that with a pc?

Let me stress that i am not talking about taste or quality of games. If you like strategy games, rpgs and the likes, of course you will buy a pc if you are not a dumbfuck. But if you prefer action games and are on the casual side you will be drawn to consoles and low cost is one of the arguments you can hardly beat.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
>Restricted hardware that can't be user-repaired and lacks all upgradability besides meagre storage expansion, will probably void warranty if you ''hack'' it.

>Software restrictions that prevent you from utilising the hardware you paid for. And consoles are marketed so cleverly most owners probably don't know that what they have is a system capable of mostly everything a PC is. So they just abandon it after they get the new one and don't attribute any more capacity to it than a toy.

>Paying for online. Its a combined hardware software restriction that is imposed for some reason. Does anyone get the console and not have the subscription? Its like getting a burger and having to pay extra for lettuce.

>Inferior input peripheral support / compatibility, inferior options on where to buy games and at what price, inferior versions of cross platform releases, much lesser ability to not support stuff you don't like (ie, don't like epic? buy from steam, don't like DRM, buy from GOG). Its like an apple ecosystem device.

>More expensive games, especially if you don't live in yoosay or urope, exploitative regional digital store.

Aside from preference and input familiarity, I don't see any reason to get the latest Magic Conch Shell.

EDIT: also exclusives, but I doubt walled gardens will produce mastapieces consistently enough for it to be worth it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

He's right though that "hardcore" console gaming isn't super cheap by any means. Even people moderately into gaming regularly on consoles probably own two of them, and pay that monthly fee, and it adds up. As he pointed out, even one console with 5-6 years of online service can reach the cost of a moderate gaming PC. If you build a moderate PC and stick to HD resolutions you could easily be spending less on hardware and online play fees, without question. The real reason consoles sell so well is convenience, plug and play gameplay without much thought or hassle on a comfy couch after work. Also exclusive games the hardcore "gotta have."

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm really, really skeptical of Sony's hype machine, yes, it will be a big improvement from PS 4 but it will be inferior to high end PC hardware on 2020 let alone 2021 and onwards. Common, 8k AND raytracing, this sounds like marketing speech to me, a rtx 2080 ti struggles to deliver extremely limited raytracing and 4k at the same time. I already heard those magic words of cheap hardware that somehow is as powerful as expensive hardware, all the time just marketing lies. Even if the new Ryzen 3000 is 60% faster than a Zen 1 ryzen (extremely highly questionable), it wont be a massive jump to the point of fully supporting 8k and raytracing. There is some tricky marketing wording in there.

I agree with people that are speculating that the final performance will be on the range of a regular higher generation i5/i7 with a 1070ti/1080 card, a decent hardware but on 2020? I see people doing shit comparisons, like taking a i9 9900 with a RTX 2080ti and comparing it with the ps 5 purely on the marketing bs sony is spinning. Yeah, sure, Sony somehow did a magic of taking expensive but high performing hardware and will sell all that stuff for the price of a console... there are still people who believe on Santa Claus.

Dexter

Arcane
Full article:
Sony Cracks Down on Sexually Explicit Content in Games
Move reflects concerns in the U.S. about the depiction of women, but it angers developers in Japan
By Takashi Mochizuki
April 16, 2019 11:19 a.m. ET

TOKYO—Sony Corp. is cracking down on sexual content in PlayStation 4 videogames globally, reflecting concerns in the U.S. about the depiction of women in games but also irritating some software developers.

New in-house standards that limit sexually explicit content distinguish Sony from other game-hardware makers that allow more leeway as long as the software carries a rating from a national industry body.

A Sony spokeswoman confirmed the company has established its own guidelines “so that creators can offer well-balanced content on the platform” and gaming “does not inhibit the sound growth and development” of young people. She declined to say when these guidelines were introduced or to discuss them in detail.

The Wall Street Journal interviewed more than a dozen developers and executives in the U.S., Europe and Japan at software companies that provide games for PlayStation 4. They confirmed Sony’s new rules, and some expressed dismay that their creativity could be hindered. They asked not to be identified because of nondisclosure contracts with Sony and fears about the impact to future business with Sony.

The PlayStation 4 is the world’s most widely used videogame console, with more than 94 million units sold around the globe. About $11 billion in PlayStation 4 game software was sold in 2018, according to Sony, and the machine has helped drive the company’s turnaround during the past five years.

Sony officials said executives at the company have grown concerned that its global reputation could take a hit from sexually explicit content sold only in a few markets. One of their biggest concerns is software sold in the company’s home market of Japan, which traditionally has had more tolerance for near-nudity and images of young women who might appear underage.

Two factors last year combined to turn that unease into action, these Sony officials say. One was the rise of the #MeToo movement in the U.S., which pointed to the dangers of being associated with content that some might see as demeaning to women. The second was the emergence of channels on sites like YouTube and Amazon.com Inc.’s Twitch where gamers play in front of a camera and are watched by fans online. That means games meeting Japan’s laxer standards can get world-wide exposure.

“Sony is concerned the company could become a target of legal and social action,” a Sony official in the U.S. said.

Matthew Johnson, director of education at Canada-based nonprofit MediaSmarts, said Sony’s move was reasonable given the influence game content can have on players in real life. It’s “similar to a TV network deciding what is appropriate to air in terms of violence, profanity [and] sexuality,” Mr. Johnson said.

Software makers in Japan, while acknowledging the global #MeToo trend, are less happy about Sony’s shift.

Executives and developers at game makers that make sexually explicit games say Sony used to praise them as an important part of the PlayStation business strategy because their offerings added to the variety of PlayStation games. But they don’t get much attention from Sony anymore, they said, and were told to go find other platforms if they want to keep making such games.

“What they’re saying to us is basically go find a niche somewhere else,” said a top executive at a Japanese software company that makes sexually explicit games.

The Sony spokeswoman declined to comment on the outside developer’s comment, saying Sony maintains “responsibility to our users as a platform holder.”

In general, any company making a game for a platform like the PlayStation 4, Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox or Nintendo Co.’s Switch signs a contract with the platform maker governing royalties and other items. That gives the platform maker the ability to block games it doesn’t like.

Nintendo said it doesn’t regulate sexual content beyond requiring game makers to obtain a rating from national bodies. It said its game systems allow parents to restrict content based on the rating. Microsoft declined to comment.

U.S. ratings established by the Entertainment Software Rating Board range from “AO” for adults only to “E” for everyone, while Japan has a similar system by the Computer Entertainment Rating Organization. Sony’s game reviews go beyond those ratings, similar to the way app-store operators require advance review before apps get published.

Some fans in Japan noticed the shift last autumn when they saw changes to graphics in games known for showing young women in suggestive poses. The changes occurred in the PlayStation 4 versions of the games, not those available on other machines. Developers said such changes followed requests from Sony.

In one game called “Nora, Princess and Stray Cat Heart,” available mainly in Japan, the PlayStation 4 version used white rays to cover up parts of a female character’s body. On other platforms, the game doesn’t feature that coverup. The game in Japan is rated for players 17 years old and older. The game’s developer, a company called Harukaze, didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Some Japan-based software executives also have complained that they have been required to communicate in English—because Sony’s global game business is based in California—even though the parent company is Tokyo-based.

Other software executives object to the lack of written guidelines from Sony.

“You don’t know what they will say until you complete the work and submit it for review,” said the chief executive of a small game developer in Japan. “And if they are not happy, even if they allowed the same degree of sexuality a few days before, we need to take it back and ask our staff to make adjustments. That’s very costly.”

Industry consultant Hisakazu Hirabayashi said smaller companies had little power to argue on behalf of their creations. “This is representative of the recent trend of players with a big voice trying to set up the world the way they like under the name of political correctness, fairness or human rights,” he said.

The Sony official in the U.S. said he was aware of what outside developers were saying, but that he hoped they would accept how the world has changed.

“We don’t have criteria in written guidelines or that sort of thing because the policy was introduced kind of suddenly in the wake of the #MeToo movement,” the official said.

They had even censored DMC5, SNOY apparently loves their lens-flares and light-rays: http://operationrainfall.com/2019/03/11/sony-continues-censorship-campaign-devil-may-cry-5-west/
dmc-5-trish-japan.jpg

dmc5-trish-censor-1.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Supposedly this is about cracking down on borderline pedo shit in anime games and other stuff is just getting caught in the crossfire. Who knows how true that is, but either way it's a PR disaster for their core demographic unless they fix it. Though Nintendo were always censorship happy when I was a kid and still ruled the console race, so who knows how much people actually care.

Ezekiel

Arcane
“We don’t have criteria in written guidelines or that sort of thing because the policy was introduced kind of suddenly in the wake of the #MeToo movement,” the official said.

Sony are pussies. Cowering to those assholes. I miss when they could get away with sex and nudity in a AAA game (God of War trilogy).

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Sony are pussies. Cowering to those assholes. I miss when they could get away with sex and nudity in a AAA game (God of War trilogy).
We can take a hint as to what their content policies will be like from this. When you get a greedy as Sony, you don't care about allowing artistic vision, only potential PR problems and avoiding them.

The Decline

Arcane
PS4 has only had one worthwhile exclusive for its entire lifespan

:notsureifserious:

Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War, Uncharted, Spiderman...possibly Days Gone soon.

Maybe not perfect games or for everyone but all at least "worthwhile".

There's more if you're into animu.
I'm into animu and can't think of any.

Super Robot Wars V, X, T, and OG The Moon Dwellers
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis
Gundam Breaker 3
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

Obviously these are niche, but they made the PS4 worth buying for me.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Oh, fuck no.
https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/16/m...trategic-partnership-for-cloud-gaming-and-ai/
https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/16/sony-and-microsoft-to-explore-strategic-partnership/
TOKYO and REDMOND, Wash. — May 16, 2019 — Sony Corporation (Sony) and Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) announced on Thursday that the two companies will partner on new innovations to enhance customer experiences in their direct-to-consumer entertainment platforms and AI solutions.

Under the memorandum of understanding signed by the parties, the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services. In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony’s game and content-streaming services. By working together, the companies aim to deliver more enhanced entertainment experiences for their worldwide customers. These efforts will also include building better development platforms for the content creator community.

As part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions. By integrating Sony’s cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony’s semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft’s advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences.

“Sony is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. We collaborate closely with a multitude of content creators that capture the imagination of people around the world, and through our cutting-edge technology, we provide the tools to bring their dreams and vision to reality,” said Kenichiro Yoshida, president and CEO of Sony. “PlayStation® itself came about through the integration of creativity and technology. Our mission is to seamlessly evolve this platform as one that continues to deliver the best and most immersive entertainment experiences, together with a cloud environment that ensures the best possible experience, anytime, anywhere. For many years, Microsoft has been a key business partner for us, though of course the two companies have also been competing in some areas. I believe that our joint development of future cloud solutions will contribute greatly to the advancement of interactive content. Additionally, I hope that in the areas of semiconductors and AI, leveraging each company’s cutting-edge technology in a mutually complementary way will lead to the creation of new value for society.”

“Sony has always been a leader in both entertainment and technology, and the collaboration we announced today builds on this history of innovation,” said Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft. “Our partnership brings the power of Azure and Azure AI to Sony to deliver new gaming and entertainment experiences for customers.”

Going forward, the two companies will share additional information when available.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom