Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, Mar 22, 2018.

1. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    That's a very good point. This generation, the biggest games are free to play multiplayer games: Forknife, Apex legends, path of exile, etc.

Both PSN and Nintendo Switch online allow you to play these games online without paying the multiplayer price. If you are the average gamer that plays the most popular games, you don't need to constantly pay to play these games.

PSN Regularly has sales, all the time now and there are other online stores that do sell game download codes just like PC. It's not as much or as frequent, but it does exist.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Black Arcane

Black
    I take it your whiles are worth even less than mine, impressive. And for the record, I'm replaying NWN 2 OC just to remember how bad it was.
    If you have to buy something and KEEP PAYING to keep it then it's hardly free.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Supposed devkit controller

[​IMG]

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    What do you mean? He gives Sony money every month to play multiplayer for free and get free games. What a deal!

If you're that casual, a PC is even cheaper since you obviously won't be needing a top-end PC and you can wait for 5-10$ sales. Consoles are generally much more expensive in the long run regardless of how you slice it. This generation you even have retards buying a slightly better version of the consoles because they made them so underpowered to begin with. That'll happen the next generation because retards are retards.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    This is snake oil salesman talk, they are not 'more expensive in the long run'.

- You don't have to play online
    - You can wait untill games will be on sale digitaly or physicaly in your local shop

Anyone with an IQ above 70 can deduct this himself.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Also don't forget that consoles actualy have demos, something that is not on PC since i don't remember when.

^ Top  
  7. Biscotti Learned

Biscotti
    Only reason to own a PS4

A mediocre open world "RPG", an overrated character action game, and a cinematic popamole fest. Great line up!

Haven't played it, but I heard it's a good superhero game so I'll give you this one.

And finally, a yet to be released open world fuckfest, but this time with zombies. Already clamoring to pull my PS4 out of retirement as a glorified paperweight and dust collector!

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Actualy PS4 exclusive lineup has been the worst ever, I hope PS5 will bring good games because the console will not have gimped specs on release like PS4 had.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Yes you have to keep paying to play those games, but the argument was that you are paying for online play, so if youre going by that logic you can indeed argue that you get "free" games ontop of that.

You get 12 months PS+ membership for 40$. Add a regular PS4 ontop of that which goes for like what, 200$ since 3 years or something and you have a cost point of 240$. For three years thats 320 bucks. Throw 3 "must have" exclusives + a few games on digital sale in and you are paying maybe 500$ for all your casual gaming needs. How will you beat that with a pc?

Let me stress that i am not talking about taste or quality of games. If you like strategy games, rpgs and the likes, of course you will buy a pc if you are not a dumbfuck. But if you prefer action games and are on the casual side you will be drawn to consoles and low cost is one of the arguments you can hardly beat.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    ^ Top  
  10. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    not on the xbawks

^ Top  
  11. Young_Hollow Educated

Young_Hollow
    >Restricted hardware that can't be user-repaired and lacks all upgradability besides meagre storage expansion, will probably void warranty if you ''hack'' it.

>Software restrictions that prevent you from utilising the hardware you paid for. And consoles are marketed so cleverly most owners probably don't know that what they have is a system capable of mostly everything a PC is. So they just abandon it after they get the new one and don't attribute any more capacity to it than a toy.

>Paying for online. Its a combined hardware software restriction that is imposed for some reason. Does anyone get the console and not have the subscription? Its like getting a burger and having to pay extra for lettuce.

>Inferior input peripheral support / compatibility, inferior options on where to buy games and at what price, inferior versions of cross platform releases, much lesser ability to not support stuff you don't like (ie, don't like epic? buy from steam, don't like DRM, buy from GOG). Its like an apple ecosystem device.

>More expensive games, especially if you don't live in yoosay or urope, exploitative regional digital store.

Aside from preference and input familiarity, I don't see any reason to get the latest Magic Conch Shell.

EDIT: also exclusives, but I doubt walled gardens will produce mastapieces consistently enough for it to be worth it.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    He's right though that "hardcore" console gaming isn't super cheap by any means. Even people moderately into gaming regularly on consoles probably own two of them, and pay that monthly fee, and it adds up. As he pointed out, even one console with 5-6 years of online service can reach the cost of a moderate gaming PC. If you build a moderate PC and stick to HD resolutions you could easily be spending less on hardware and online play fees, without question. The real reason consoles sell so well is convenience, plug and play gameplay without much thought or hassle on a comfy couch after work. Also exclusive games the hardcore "gotta have."

^ Top  
  13. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    I'm really, really skeptical of Sony's hype machine, yes, it will be a big improvement from PS 4 but it will be inferior to high end PC hardware on 2020 let alone 2021 and onwards. Common, 8k AND raytracing, this sounds like marketing speech to me, a rtx 2080 ti struggles to deliver extremely limited raytracing and 4k at the same time. I already heard those magic words of cheap hardware that somehow is as powerful as expensive hardware, all the time just marketing lies. Even if the new Ryzen 3000 is 60% faster than a Zen 1 ryzen (extremely highly questionable), it wont be a massive jump to the point of fully supporting 8k and raytracing. There is some tricky marketing wording in there.

I agree with people that are speculating that the final performance will be on the range of a regular higher generation i5/i7 with a 1070ti/1080 card, a decent hardware but on 2020? I see people doing shit comparisons, like taking a i9 9900 with a RTX 2080ti and comparing it with the ps 5 purely on the marketing bs sony is spinning. Yeah, sure, Sony somehow did a magic of taking expensive but high performing hardware and will sell all that stuff for the price of a console... there are still people who believe on Santa Claus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Venser Savant

Venser

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Full article:
    They had even censored DMC5, SNOY apparently loves their lens-flares and light-rays: http://operationrainfall.com/2019/03/11/sony-continues-censorship-campaign-devil-may-cry-5-west/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Supposedly this is about cracking down on borderline pedo shit in anime games and other stuff is just getting caught in the crossfire. Who knows how true that is, but either way it's a PR disaster for their core demographic unless they fix it. Though Nintendo were always censorship happy when I was a kid and still ruled the console race, so who knows how much people actually care.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    I'm into animu and can't think of any.

^ Top  
  18. Ezekiel Savant

Ezekiel
    “We don’t have criteria in written guidelines or that sort of thing because the policy was introduced kind of suddenly in the wake of the #MeToo movement,” the official said.

Sony are pussies. Cowering to those assholes. I miss when they could get away with sex and nudity in a AAA game (God of War trilogy).

^ Top  
  19. Young_Hollow Educated

Young_Hollow
    We can take a hint as to what their content policies will be like from this. When you get a greedy as Sony, you don't care about allowing artistic vision, only potential PR problems and avoiding them.

^ Top  
  20. The Decline Arcane

The Decline
    Super Robot Wars V, X, T, and OG The Moon Dwellers
    SD Gundam G Generation Genesis
    Gundam Breaker 3
    Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

Obviously these are niche, but they made the PS4 worth buying for me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    ^ Top  
  21. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    • meh meh x 2
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    • meh meh x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Chad J. Thundercock ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

Chad J. Thundercock
    Oh, fuck no.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/16/m...trategic-partnership-for-cloud-gaming-and-ai/
    https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/16/sony-and-microsoft-to-explore-strategic-partnership/

• thumbs down x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)