Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I won't lie, I was shocked to find that currently mobile gaming has a greater share of the gaming market than both pc and consoles.

The top played games barely qualify as games. They are just time wasters.
Video games are time wasters

But we used to have games, like dungeon keeper, transport tycoon, civilization, counter strike........ and not candy crush or some other shit where you click on colors !

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Except that market is looking for exactly those games, time wasters that only need the phone they carry always to work.

As for ps5 sales, they just need next Rockstar game to be "next gen" only + a couple of sony exclusives to seal the deal. The power difference between ps4 and xbone was mostly irrelevant for sales (both standard and "pro" versions).

It's pretty much confirmed that GTA VI is 'next-gen' exclusive..... and Elder Scrolls VI, yea, those 2 games are enough for me to justify ps5 :M

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Moar TFLOPS than ever, more boredom than ever!

we can expect much bigger, reactive worlds, or atleast they should be if devs don't pour everything into more polygons.

They'll make bigger, more emptier worlds with even higher polygon density than ever. Because that's the easiest and cheapest way to create AAA games.

These "games" aren't being designed anymore, they're fabricated.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

we can expect much bigger, reactive worlds, or atleast they should be if devs don't pour everything into more polygons.

They'll make bigger, more emptier worlds with even higher polygon density than ever. Because that's the easiest and cheapest way to create AAA games.

Especially true for Sony exclusives. Add over the shoulder camera and grayish color filter - and the only difference is the title/main character.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Well Rockstar is still a company owned by the same dudes from the 90's and they still make the same type of game since GTA 1, GTA V and RDR 2 has everything hand crafted, so if anyone is to make a good game it still is R*

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Except that market is looking for exactly those games, time wasters that only need the phone they carry always to work.

As for ps5 sales, they just need next Rockstar game to be "next gen" only + a couple of sony exclusives to seal the deal. The power difference between ps4 and xbone was mostly irrelevant for sales (both standard and "pro" versions).

Yes the current phone market is, but we're talking the future. The vast majority of consumers have NEVER cared about quality, only about convenience and price, and you're trying to tell me streaming won't be compelling? It's the same naive argument hardcore music and movie fans made before streaming came around and completely disrupted their entire hobby. Just because you (and me!) care about something doesn't mean enough people do to make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Like vinyl and blu-ray I am sure game downloads and even discs will last a good while as an enthusiast option, and we're not there yet at all for games so I'm sure the PS5 will sell very well, but the writing is so clear on the wall about the future of media you'd have to be blind not to see it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
but the writing is so clear on the wall about the future of media you'd have to be blind not to see it.

We are like 20 years away from this point, we will be old or dead and won't care by this point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
We are like 20 years away from this point, we will be old or dead and won't care by this point.

That would be lovely, but I doubt it. The Stadia beta tests went swimmingly from everything I've read, and people are flocking to the subscription model after E3 like dogs to a steak. It's gonna happen much faster than people think, same as Netflix did.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
About how many more gadgets and next-big-things can we get excited about until they too fade into a fad?

Up to a point where whole universe down to single atom will be simulated on a phone

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think that's far too high specced to be reasonable unless they are fine with selling $700 consoles. I can believe the CPU and GPU because 7nm production will only get cheaper and AMD sells them at low margins (economics of scale and all) but 24gb GDDR6 and 2TB SSDs are both over $400. They could sell multiple consoles at different specifications, though. I guess it's wait and see, just one year left after all.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I think that's far too high specced to be reasonable unless they are fine with selling $700 consoles.

the buzzword marketing that has started as ps5 is going to be for 'hardcore gamers' might indicate that it will cost much, so I wouldn't be surprised at 600 or 700$ price.

DeepOcean

Arcane

That would be lovely, but I doubt it. The Stadia beta tests went swimmingly from everything I've read, and people are flocking to the subscription model after E3 like dogs to a steak. It's gonna happen much faster than people think, same as Netflix did.
Buy a Xbox One S into 30 monthly payments and you already have the experience of Google Stadia then buy the next Xbox and divide it again into 30 monthly payments, so I don't see the point, streaming only makes sense if those 9,99 cover a shit ton of games and nowhere google promised that, those 9,99 wont be able to cover the expenses of google AND the publishers, so you can already assume there will be games with their own subscription/traditional upfront payment method, what pretty much turns Stadia into a joke.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Any console that is more than 500€ will fail to sell any significant numbers. If Sony or Microsoft announce a price that high, there will be major backlash.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Any console that is more than 500€ will fail to sell any significant numbers. If Sony or Microsoft announce a price that high, there will be major backlash.

Yeah I just don't see it happening. Maybe if the streaming thing was already relatively mainstream and the hardware was just for picky "hardcore" gamers, like a 2080ti while most people use 2060s, but next year with that stuff just starting? No way in hell, IMO.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

PS3: Wait! Hold my beer!

Launch price: $599.00
13 years ago...

Zep--

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
PS3 sold like shit up until 2010. It wasn't until Sony released the Slim, cut the price and aggressively went for exclusives that it started selling well.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I just don't see a huge market for hard-core niche gamers, who want the latest tech, but don't want to buy a PC. I don't have the numbers and they do of course, but I don't see how the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X are relevant on the market. Most promotions are restricted to the standard versions of the console. Sony puts even more effort into marketing the VR headset.

I love how effortless the PS4 is compared to my PC (push the button on the controller and it turns on) but I don't care that much about the latest and greatest visuals and features.

SlamDunk

Arcane
To continue the inconsequent naming trend, Microsoft should name the next one Xbox 4.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
To a certain extent, but in the later part of the generation the PS3 basically equalised in sales to the 360.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom