Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just like Xbox One's "secret sauce" and PS4's "supercharged PC architecture", every single buzzword that will be used to sell these machines will be 100% bullshit. Their hardware will be obsolete from launch.

Pretty much. Like I said before though, it's not odd for them to focus on one area that is beyond what the PC can do for a short time. With Xbox 360 for example it was shaders, I believe. The way the PS5 designer was talking a while back I thought it might be memory/SSD speeds this time, but maybe they'll go all-in on raytracing. Who knows.

ultimanecat

Arcane
MS and Sony are never going to sell consoles at a loss again - when this generation began the XBone and PS4 were essentially 2013 mid-range gaming PCs sold at cost and now 6 years later with the generation nearly over and they're still selling consoles for ~$300. You'd be silly to expect to get anything beyond whatever consumer-grade hardware $500-$600 can get someone with a huge volume discount i.e. the equivalent of a mid to high range desktop.

Swigen

Arbiter
Awesome controller ideas! Jus fucken great! Let’s make ‘em $100 so more fags can complain $12 wired mouse & keyboard for FPS’s is some kinda crazy unfair advantage only accessible to teh “elite”! Also looking forward to smashing said controller whilst playing Sekiro 2 and not Armored Core ‘cause From Software are faggots.

Tehdagah

Arcane
MS and Sony are never going to sell consoles at a loss again - when this generation began the XBone and PS4 were essentially 2013 mid-range gaming PCs sold at cost and now 6 years later with the generation nearly over and they're still selling consoles for ~$300. You'd be silly to expect to get anything beyond whatever consumer-grade hardware $500-$600 can get someone with a huge volume discount i.e. the equivalent of a mid to high range desktop.
This is the worst. After 5 years the PS2 was being officially sold for $130.

sullynathan

Arcane
Awesome controller ideas! Jus fucken great! Let’s make ‘em $100 so more fags can complain $12 wired mouse & keyboard for FPS’s is some kinda crazy unfair advantage only accessible to teh “elite”! Also looking forward to smashing said controller whilst playing Sekiro 2 and not Armored Core ‘cause From Software are faggots.
Both consoles will fully support mk+b out the box, the current xbox already does

YldriE

Learned
It's true that performance hasn't improved as fast as it did when we were kids and prices has been steadily falling; what we call a "mid-range" PC today can run pretty much anything with great graphics. Even my 700€ 1050Ti laptop can run recent heavyweights at 60FPS while still looking great, surely a home machine more than one year away from release can trounce that.

On the other hand... it's only the 76th time we have been promised the Moon.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
First some of you said that consoles will never ray trace, now you still say it will be outdated at launch :lol:

This thing will beat a rtx 2080 when it comes to ray tracing and here is why with a simple logic - rtx 2080 is using the cores on the gpu which does ray tracing, which means that rtx 2080 does all the ray tracing work, on ps5 there will be a dedicated hardware unit to ray trace, which means that gpu will not do to the ray tracing, there will be a separate extra hardware that will ray trace (like Nvidia had Physx GPU in the past to offload physx alone from the gpu, same logic here).

The GPU on the ps5 will be left to do other computational work while it won't be doing ray tracing.... this way it will be faster even than a 2080 TI in ray traced titles.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also christmas 2020 means that is very likely that CPU will be on 7nm+ AMD process, which means latest technology and not 'outdated'

Swigen

Arbiter
Both consoles will fully support mk+b out the box, the current xbox already does

Yeah, PS4 does too but most games don’t support it do they? I can’t play Call of Duty or Borderlands or Destiny on console with a mouse and keyboard, can I? Never understood why m&kb on console is so taboo. I could buy a $150 fightstick or a $200 race wheel and have a clear advantage in the games they’re made for but a cheap ass m&kb is somehow cheating.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
First some of you said that consoles will never ray trace, now you still say it will be outdated at launch :lol:

This thing will beat a rtx 2080 when it comes to ray tracing and here is why with a simple logic - rtx 2080 is using the cores on the gpu which does ray tracing, which means that rtx 2080 does all the ray tracing work, on ps5 there will be a dedicated hardware unit to ray trace, which means that gpu will not do to the ray tracing, there will be a separate extra hardware that will ray trace (like Nvidia had Physx GPU in the past to offload physx alone from the gpu, same logic here).

The GPU on the ps5 will be left to do other computational work while it won't be doing ray tracing.... this way it will be faster even than a 2080 TI in ray traced titles.

So? By then the 3080 will be out and shit on this and anything AMD can do...Nvidia will be down to 7nm fabrication and extend their already enormous lead over AMD. PS5 would already have the hardware more or less locked in now so it will be outdated on release.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Given how many years and R&D money Nvidia has thrown into RT hardware, versus sleepy AMD that only fairly recently has started talking about RT hardware based solutions, I suspect AMD's hardware solution will be inferior to Nvidia ones. But let's wait and see.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

So? By then the 3080 will be out and shit on this and anything AMD can do...Nvidia will be down to 7nm fabrication and extend their already enormous lead over AMD. PS5 would already have the hardware more or less locked in now so it will be outdated on release.

And the 3080 will cost 700$ alone while you will get ps5 for 600$

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Consoles don't have to play the same game as PC hardware, as they only have to put their best leg forward for the next ~7 years. PC hardware otoh needs to evolve every ~2 years.

Either way, the jump from last-gen consoles should be enormous, even with mid-tier level PC hardware, and that's great for PC gamers too.

I mean, look at TLOU2. Running on a lousy base PS4 hardware... Can't wait for the next jump.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The point is that it's not really a critique of consoles(hell, I have a Switch, 3ds, Wii U and they were low power or outdated even in regards to other consoles), just a simple fact that by their very nature as closed systems being sold on the margins or at a loss and with a need to lock in and prepare the production line 6-12 months or more in advance, they will always be below the curve in power compared to top of the line PC's.

Good thing is that since the last gen, Console hardware is basically low-mid tier PC hardware, so it's much easier for simultaneous development and ports across all platforms and devs which originally focused on consoles are getting better at making PC versions that have quality sliders and better controls, by and large.

sullynathan

Arcane

Yeah, PS4 does too but most games don’t support it do they? I can’t play Call of Duty or Borderlands or Destiny on console with a mouse and keyboard, can I? Never understood why m&kb on console is so taboo. I could buy a $150 fightstick or a $200 race wheel and have a clear advantage in the games they’re made for but a cheap ass m&kb is somehow cheating.
You can play the upcoming cod on console with a mouse and keyboard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I mean, look at TLOU2. Running on a lousy base PS4 hardware... Can't wait for the next jump.

It's pretty amazing what they do with old hardware. Shows you how much optimization work actually goes into PC ports (not a lot). The (usually) 30fps target would drive me nuts, but other than that it's pretty impressive stuff. I'm a PC gamer for a lot of reasons and very few of them have to do with graphics. That doesn't stop me from pointing out the FUD Makabb is spreading though.

Achilles

Arcane
I can't decide if people are just that ignorant or they are simply trolling. PS4's "supercharged PC architecture" got its shit pushed in by a 750 Ti at launch. You have to be an absolute moron to believe that the shit GPU and CPU they will pack inside a small box for $400 is going to anything other than budget hardware which will perform exactly like budget hardware.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't decide if people are just that ignorant or they are simply trolling. PS4's "supercharged PC architecture" got its shit pushed in by a 750 Ti at launch. You have to be an absolute moron to believe that the shit GPU and CPU they will pack inside a small box for $400 is going to anything other than budget hardware which will perform exactly like budget hardware.
And a single GTX 750 Ti has cost a lot more than a console at launch.

I don't know if you noticed but the same level hardware always performs better in consoles compared to a PC. So a mid-tier GPU and CPU will be comperable with a pretty powerful PC, at least at launch. There was evidence for that for every console generation.

Achilles

Arcane
I don't know if you noticed but the same level hardware always performs better in consoles compared to a PC. So a mid-tier GPU and CPU will be comperable with a pretty powerful PC, at least at launch. There was evidence for that for every console generation.

Where was that evidence in this generation?

Achilles

Arcane
Right before your eyes.

I already told you that the PS4 was losing to a 750Ti. There are hundreds of videos proving it. Again, do you have anything to back up your claim?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom