Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    fps above 60 fps is a meme, you don't need more than 60 fps.

• retadred x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Makabb going to soon be arguing that 4k 20 fps is how games were meant to be played.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Back in my day we used to play on c64 and amiga with 15-20 fps and those were best moments of gaming, fps is not what makes a game good or not.

• retadred retadred x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Those games though were designed in a way where framerate didn't matter (much). Even later PC games still using ~12 fps sprite animations (BG, Fallout, Adventure games) wouldn't be much of a bother.

You can't seriously believe though to apply the same paradigm to a fully explorable, highly interactive 3D world and expect to have the same fun.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. abija Liturgist

abija
    20 fps is more than fine when you turn with a gamepad.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Alexandros Arcane

Alexandros
    The PS3 launching at $599 is what gave that generation to Microsoft. You are crazy if you think that they will do the same again. As for the CPU, you can't determine whether or not it will be high end by its core and threads. Jaguar had 8 cores and it was weaker than Intel's dual core Pentium line. You really have no idea what you're talking about and the only explanation I can think of for your insistence on embarrassing yourself is that you're 12 years old.

The new consoles will have last year's mid range hardware and they will perform exactly as such. We've had a whole generation of x86 consoles and every myth about their supposed massive performance gains over PC hardware has been completely and thoroughly debunked. There are literally hundreds of videos proving so. Previous consoles had different architectures and publishers typically squeezed out a turd of a PC port that ran terribly, which created the myth of consoles performing much better than PCs. One generation of x86 hardware conclusively proved otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah, even if they do two models with one at $599 and the other a little lower, I still think it would be crazy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    They did, the PS3 had a "cheap" version priced at $500.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    btw it was confirmed by Sony that devkit design is real and it's what the devs have, it's beefy like that because the heat needs to get out, which means it will be STRONK

[​IMG]

• cool story bro cool story bro x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I've seen people complain about this design, but I actually like it a lot. It has that futuristic feel to it, like something out of Star Trek. If it will be something like this, I won't complain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb

It probably look slightly different, but the size will remain because of the specs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. CrunchyHemorrhoids Cipher

CrunchyHemorrhoids
    Could also just be running hot because it's overclocked 14nm AMD chips.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    they are using AMDs 7nm, both CPU and GPU

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    "SSD Drive"

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    BS, the cpu is on ryzen 3600 level and gpu on RTX 2080, it has this years high end hardware.
    A year from now this still will be relevant.

Apart from you I base my assumptions on facts that are known already instead of pulling them out of your arse.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. soulburner Savant

soulburner
    The PS5 and the new Xbox will not have last or even current generation CPU/GPU that could be analogous to a PC one. Both consoles will use custom chips, which means the CPU, which is based on the 7nm Zen 2 rchitecture, will not be directly comparable to a Ryzen 3600 or a 3700. The same with the GPU - it might be similar to the Radeon 5700, using RDNA architecture, but have a different number of shader processors and/or work at a different frequency. Due to the unified architecture, the CPU and GPU will communicate in a slightly different way that graphic cards in PC, too - both CPU & GPU share the memory, they might share the same memory controller, have a shared cache and shit like that, which substantially reduce all kinds of latencies.

The PC will have to do some catching up after the new consoles release. However, with Intel entering the GPU market, I suspect the prices will become sane again and upgrading will not be as damaging to the home budget.

I will stay on my toaster laptop with an eGPU for at least two CPU and GPU generations before I upgrade anything. And no, I will not be buying any console. I might be a potato, but I'm not a peasant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Zen 2 IS Ryzen 3xxx and Zen 2 is confirmed for PS5 so essentialy PS5 will have 100% a ryzen 3xxx, the only difference with PS5 is that it will have lower clocks, starting from 3ghz.

Agreed on GPU.

^ Top  
  18. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    If ps5 has GPU level of RTX 2080, which AMD GPU is that? Maybe AMD didn't released it yet for public?

^ Top  
  19. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    amd will release it next year, PS5 has a custom one.

^ Top  
  20. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    That RTX 2080 level performance PS5 has been debunked as false.

Makabb, your uneducated speculation is making you look like a desperate buffoon. I'm sure Sony will reveal the SoC specs sometime next year, and I'd wager this ain't gonna be a TFLOPS war anymore like previously.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    wrong !

"Oberon A0.
    Gen2 : GFXCLK = 2.000GHz
    Gen1 : GFXCLK = 0.911Ghz
    Gen0 : GFXCLK = 0.800Ghz

This equates to 9.2 TF on the RDNA architecture. Or roughly 14 TF on the GCN Architecture aka over double the power of the X1X. Almost RTX2080 power."

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-powerful-rtx-2080/

^ Top  
  22. Alexandros Arcane

Alexandros
    I remember the lead up to this generation's reveal. People were saying that because Unreal Engine's Elemental demo ran on a PC with three Nvidia 680s on SLI the Playstation 4 would be as powerful as that system. Good times.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    wrong !

Newest rumors say 7 TFLOPS.

bam dum dish!

^ Top  
  24. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    And rumors are always true.
    ba dum tsss

^ Top  
  25. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb

It's not a rumour, this leaker also said (as you can see on the site) that ps5 will have a 7nm zen 2 and ray tracing, which sony confirmed last week, so 14 tf is also true.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)