Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There's still Windows that has a ton of abstraction for backwards compatibility and background tasks, and we know how the story is with vulkan and dx12 currently........most games still use dx 11

soulburner

Cipher
There's still Windows that has a ton of abstraction for backwards compatibility and background tasks, and we know how the story is with vulkan and dx12 currently........most games still use dx 11
Yes, but DX11 games are different to DX11 games of 2014 because programmers learned to properly multithread, even with with all the API limits in that regard.
The abstraction layers in Windows that are used for backwards compatibility have no detrimental effect on programs that do not use legacy code. Same with background tasks - you will not get better performance out of games if you disable half of the system services (unless you are extremely low on memory and every byte counts).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I will be seriously pissed if DX12/Vulkan isn't finally becoming the standard API for Next-Gen gaming.
But how many people would need to upgrade because of that? I don't think this will happen.

Oh please, you have video cards back from 2013/2014 that already support DX12, yet we're still running with this ancient API with ancient engines, using brute force instead of getting more out of the available silicon. This laziness won't fly again next time with me.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
XBOX is DX12 and PS5 is Vulcan so it's coming no matter how much nvidia don't want it.

Xbox One is DX12 and yet we still haven't gotten it in most mainstream games.

All new Microsoft games run very well and use dx12- both Forza games and Gears 5 are good examples of what to expect from the new generation. Ofc nvidia will try to stay Dx11 as long as possible or until their new architecture is ready.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Turing is a full DX12 architecture. Pretty similar to RDNA, actually. Both µarch's have converged at this point due to developer wishes. I'm expecting to get more performance out of it in future engines, because I'm done with paying up due to shitty optimizations.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
But how many people would need to upgrade because of that? I don't think this will happen.
Not very many. 71% of Steam users have a DX12 compatible GPU and Windows 10. 20% have a DX12 compatible GPU and pre-Windows 10, although that number is decreasing bit by bit each month as people move over to Windows 10. I imagine the rest barely play anything recent.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Just take 10-20% off from that list. Anything below 1050-1050ti can't enjoy next-gen goodies.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Not very many. 71% of Steam users have a DX12 compatible GPU and Windows 10. 20% have a DX12 compatible GPU and pre-Windows 10, although that number is decreasing bit by bit each month as people move over to Windows 10. I imagine the rest barely play anything recent.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Just take 10-20% off from that list. Anything below 1050-1050ti can't enjoy next-gen goodies.
Disabling next gen goodies gives you better graphics and performance so no loss there.

soulburner

Cipher
There is absolutely no reason why developers would keep making DX11 renderers instead of DX12 or Vulkan. Pretty much every graphic card out there supports DX12 and Vulkan - and the ones that don't, aren't capable of running modern DX11 games anyway. So DX12 supported only on Windows 10 might be given by some as a reason why it hasn't been adopted yet, but there's Vulkan - and it is supported on pretty much everything, including Windows 7, Linux and mobile devices.

Rendering engine programmers are lazy or underpaid.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm a third party small developer from EU,for the last 8 months i've been helping a well known company in a AAA game development that is set to release in 2020 as a lunch game for PS5.

Some infos that i'd like to share that are 99% correct(i say 99% because small incremental hardware change can occur till 2020,although specs are set in stone).

-PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal
-PS5 release March 2020 or November 2020,not yet finalized
-backward compatible
-physical games & ps store
-ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,
-specs CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed
GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall
24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for os,we have 32 gb dev kits
-2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
-8k upscaling
-PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
-dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad
-price 499$,100$ loss per console at a beginning

Ps4 exclusive launch games that i know of

Gran Turismo 7 (vr)
Pubg remaster 4k f2p with ps+ only on ps5
Last of us 2 remaster
Ghost of Tsushima remaster
2-3 aaa games more + psvr2 games

Non exclusive ps5 games 2020

Battlefield bad company 3
Harry potter
Gta 6 Holiday 2020 most probably,not hearing anything ps4 related (hearing that Sony is paying huge money to secure 1 month time exclusive for ps5). Been hearing rumors about Miami and New York,so 2 big cities,but im not sure if thats 100% true
Assassins creed
Horizon 2 so far in 2021

https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4
Yeah, nah, that's bullshit. Absolute most I am willing to believe is 16gb GDDR6 as shared pool for VRAM, DRAM and with 4 gigs of that allocated for system. Even that's really expensive.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
That's a bullshit pastebin. We already know that Sony is targeting an end of 2020 PS5 release.

Source : Sony.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here (and Mods can move it if inclined):

https://www.vg247.com/2019/11/06/4k-gaming-useless-says-playdead-founder/

4K gaming: “It’s useless,” says Playdead founder
By Matt Martin, Wednesday, 6 November 2019 14:02 GMT

Share on: Facebook Twitter Reddit Google+

4K gaming doesn’t interest game developers and is just another tech upgrade being flogged by manufacturers to sell consoles and hardware.

That’s according to Dino Patti, co-founder of Limbo and Inside developer Playdead, who warned an audience at Reboot Develop in Canada last week that development studios that follow hardware trends will only stumble into failure.

“I think it’s useless,” he said. “It’s something that’s being pushed by tech vendors to push the next console.

“I want to select a path by myself and not be drawn in by money from tech vendors. There’s a lot of people that see something shiny and follow that. You can definitely see all the herd walking one way and falling,” he said.

Patti, who has recently founded Coherence and Jumpship after leaving Playdead, sees 4K as just another gimmick in a long line of technology being pushed on the development community.

“[Manufacturers] don’t respect the natural evolution of games and you force technology. Microsoft with Kinect, they paid studios to make a lot of shitty games,” he said.

Klang Games co-founder, Guðmundur Hallgrímsson, who was also on the Reboot Develop panel, said that his next game, Seed, has eschewed hi-fidelity visuals and is happy for other studios to tussle over the graphics problem.

“We went for a super-simplistic art style because the battle for higher fidelity graphics is something for a handful of really big studios to fight over,” said Hallgrímsson.

“When it comes to graphics, if you’re really dedicated to a game, normally you lower all settings in order to get the maximum performance. So I don’t really care about graphics. At the end of the day the gameplay is always key.

Chet Faliszek, former Valve writer on Portal, Left4Dead and Half-Life 2, added that it’s not tech that influences games development so much as new business models.

“Fidelity, that way, it’s an uninteresting thing to chase. It doesn’t change the game in a meaningful way.

“Tech doesn’t influence gameplay so much as business models. Apple Arcade allows you to make single-player mobile games where you couldn’t before. Those sort of influences are more impactful,” he said.

Absolutely agree.

But the vicious cyle of selling you $800 graphics cards and unoptimized piece of shit ports *cough* RDR2 *cough* must continue to maximize shareholder value.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
lol 4k is not pointless, it's like arguing that 1920x1080 is pointless or 800x600 is pointless because hey, you can also play in 320x200 like in early 90's, some time ago 1080p was 'pointless'.

I play in 3840x2160 and the textures and image is much more sharper..... just what you would expect out of a resolution bump, nothing more, nothing less.

A higher resolution is always preferred to a lesser one for image quality.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Please tell me who the fuck "Playdead founder" is and why I should care? The change from 1080 to 1440 or 4k isn't as big as that of 720 to 1080, but it's going to happen whether you like it or not. I'm sure someone in 2035 will laugh at you saying 4k is pointless while reading the text on their 8k screen.
Although chances are we'll stay stuck at 4k for a while, since transistor shrinking is getting only slower and more expensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom