Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The xbox ssd is supposed to be 2gb/s while rumour is ps5 will have a 8gb/s ssd

PS5 exclusives will be very interesting.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also latest rumour on PS5 GPU is 13 Tflops RDNA 2.0

wue4fd0qwh541.png

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Zero chance the GPU will be 2GHz with 52 CUs, we are talking for 550$+ territory for only the GPU. 13tf FP32 is nothing that mind-blowing, it's VEGA 64 level of compute.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Zero chance the GPU will be 2GHz with 52 CUs, we are talking for 550$+ territory for only the GPU. 13tf FP32 is nothing that mind-blowing, it's VEGA 64 level of compute.

It's 13 tf RDNA, RDNA has 45% more performance over previous gen. So that's effectively a 17tflop card of previous gen.

It's not 0% chance...... xbox is already confirmed to be 12 TFlops RDNA 2

DF had a video on RDNA perf increase, it's 45%

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All these people expecting a $2000 PC in a $400 console are going to be pretty disappointed.

It's not a 2000$ PC, it's the technology advancements a year from now (basicaly it will be 2021) that makes the console so cost effective.
New GPUs will also arrive from nvidia and AMD, but they will cost, consoles are cheap because Sony and MS buys from AMD millions of parts so they pay less.
There is no magic here, just technology and economics.

It's funny you claim this when Xbox has already unveiled the console and we know the specs, it's like you don't want to acknowledge the truth that a 500$ console will be like a 1500$ PC in 2020.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not a 2000$ PC, it's the technology advancements a year from now (basicaly it will be 2021) that makes the console so cost effective.

You realize they are being built now and not in 2021, right?

It's funny you claim this when Xbox has already unveiled the console and we know the specs, it's like you don't want to acknowledge the truth that a 500$ console will be like a 1500$ PC in 2020.

You don't know the specs, only rumors. Nothing has been announced. Also I don't really care one way or another, I've told you before it could be a $5,000 PC in a $400 box and I wouldn't care because I'm a PC gamer. I'm just trying to bring people back to reality.

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron
It's funny you claim this when Xbox has already unveiled the console and we know the specs

We don't know the specs of the XFridge. All Microsoft has communicated officially about the GPU is a vague statement that Phil Spencer made to GameSpot about the Series X having "over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is." Everything else is just rumors and hearsay. And Phil's statement is very vague and could be interpreted multiple ways. The Xbox One has 1.3 TFlops GCN, while the Xbox One X has 6 TFlops GCN, so he could mean that it has the equivalent of 12 TFlops GCN, which would be about 10 TFlops RDNA, roughly the equivalent of an RX 5700 XT. Alternatively you could interpret that he meant that it has 12 TFlops of RDNA. Or alternatively he could have just pulled the numbers out of a hat.

Either way, TFlops is kind of overrated as a metric of how powerfull a GPU is anyway. There are a number of other factors to consider as well.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Phil Spencer was intentionally very open to interpretation when he was saying "twice as fast as XB1X." Actual side-by-side performance? Or TFLOPS numbers? That will only be fully known when the chips go into full production, and they get yield results. Will they have too many defective chips? Then they'll have to disable CUs and/or downclock them for satisfying volume. Reaching maybe only ~9-10 TFLOPS, but then Phil's statement of "twice as fast as XB1X" would still hold true. Or do they reach their internal target of actual 12 "Navi" TFLOPS due to good yields, then Phil can brag too. That will only be known in the coming months.

Pretty sure though those consoles will be much more expensive. ~500-600 bucks for the High-end model, thus the necessity of the cheaper Lockhart version.

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron
I'm pretty shure that the PS5 will be 500 dollars. I don't think Sony wants to go above that. On the other hand, going for 400 would probably mean some pretty major compromises on the hardware. As for Microsoft, well, if they're doing one console then they'll probably want to sell it at the same price as Sony. If they are doing a high-end and a low-end one then it might make sense from a marketing standpoint for one of them to be 400 dollars and the other to be 600 dollars to sandwich the PS5 with both a cheaper and a more powerfull model. If they go below 400 dollars for the Lockhart then it will probably be a piece of crap, unless they sell each unit at a huge loss, which I doubt that they want to do. I think both Sony and Microsoft will be aiming to roughly break even on each console initially.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Phil Spencer was intentionally very open to interpretation when he was saying "twice as fast as XB1X." Actual side-by-side performance? Or TFLOPS numbers? That will only be fully known when the chips go into full production, and they get yield results.

Digital Foundry had an interesting thought that he's mainly talking performance. They used Hitman 2 as an example, a game that runs on PC's medium settings at 30fps on Xbox One X. The idea was maybe that same game runs at 60fps on Series X hardware, leading to his "twice as powerful" claim.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It'll either be a two model deal with one at $400 and one at $500-600 or it'll be $500. $500 is selling it at a potentially very large loss already. The days of a $400 console are basically done for.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
In other news, we are getting not only RDNA but RDNA 2 in both consoles, the 2020 iteration of AMD's gpus which will run on 7nm+, inb4 DalekFlay and BlackAdder :positive:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I truly hope you get your $2,000 PC in your PS5, Makabb. It would make me happy to see your face light up on Christmas morning to that magic box under your tree. I just don't think it's gonna happen for you bro.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Welp, it's time to get a 10,000$ 8k monitor to see what we always wanted to see, nose hair :positive:

csrOUUj.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
AgentOrange and Dalekflay know better than vice president and GM of Blizzard who has a ps5 devkit.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I just hope PS5 get's rid of that spotify integration crap. Totally useless in my experience, and my spotify got hacked over and over again to the point I just gave up on it entirely. Let us insert our own Music CD's and install them on the HDD for playback during gameplay. My Xbox Original was capable of this! But I realize in this age of streaming services being forced down our throats, that might be too much to ask for..

Even some games on PS1 allowed you to take the disk out while the game is playing and insert a CD to listen to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom