Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
They'll definitely want to wait for a good 7nm node process for a good performance jump, better 7nm+ for optimal yields. So I can't see this releasing before 2020. But they can still use SDKs with current node processes to give the programmers a head-start.

But then again what's the whole new concept this time around? Moar hardware power with diminishing returns in visual fidelity? They might wanna try something a bit more innovative this time.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
How long has this generation been?
5 years already, and no new good exclusives apart from persona 5, derp.
Next generation will be more about high end hardware.

Ps4 is a stop gap console, basicaly its the same as ps3 but runs games at 1080p, graphics are not that much different from ps3 times.
This should change with ps5.

Alkarl

Learned
This thread is a big fat pile of "meh" to me. By the time the PS4 released, my current console had long since become an elaborate video streaming device.

Personally, I'd take some late 80s early 90s graphics with actual gameplay over whatever cinematic abortion is being pushed these days.

As for the rest of you, I hope your loot boxes open in crisp 60fps at 4k or whatever.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This thread is a big fat pile of "meh" to me. By the time the PS4 released, my current console had long since become an elaborate video streaming device.

Personally, I'd take some late 80s early 90s graphics with actual gameplay over whatever cinematic abortion is being pushed these days.

As for the rest of you, I hope your loot boxes open in crisp 60fps at 4k or whatever.

Cyberpunk 2077 and TES VI will be PS5 titles, good luck running them on PC.

In current days getting a high end PC is not worth it due to the diminishing returns for the price you pay.

Frozen

Arcane
Are current gen consoles already cracked so we can move to next gen ones?

Current gen consoles are previous gen consoles PS4=PS3 and that's a long time.
Hope console peasants finally have something to cheer because their shitty hardware is slowing us down.
Games in last 3,4y have not improved visually at all because of it.

Irata

Scholar
I suspect even without consoles developers would still not push the newer cards to their limits. It was only recently that Windows 10 passed Windows 7 in users (according to Steam).

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Because of the law of disminishing returns, to have significant graphic updates takes a lot, lot more times than what worked before. It's rather telling that you can still run high end games at an acceptable framerate on GTX 570 by lowering the graphic details and resolution a little bit. This kind of thing would have been unacceptable just a gen or two before.

The PS5 is just going to be a PS4 Pro Pro. That's all there is to it. If consoles keep their present cycles, then the "Wow effect" is gone forever.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The PS5 is just going to be a PS4 Pro Pro. That's all there is to it. If consoles keep their present cycles, then the "Wow effect" is gone forever.

nah, the pro and xbone x just got a better gpu, the next gen will have double the ram and a cpu on par with todays PC + a better gpu, the leap will be significant.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

nah, the pro and xbone x just got a better gpu, the next gen will have double the ram and a cpu on par with todays PC + a better gpu, the leap will be significant.

It will be a mid range PC when it actually comes out, and then it will be an entry level PC.

At this stage whatever they put out is more about industrial counter-espionage than anything else.

As for the innards, unless AMD actually got a new GPU arch that uses a bunch of small size high yield dies together there's little of interest.

deuxhero

Arcane
I suspect even without consoles developers would still not push the newer cards to their limits. It was only recently that Windows 10 passed Windows 7 in users (according to Steam).

Is there a way to break the hardware survey down by country? Something tells me China accounts for far more than average of the Windows 10 usershare.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
PS 5 to be on new AMD 7nm CPU and GPU.

The AMD 7nm consumer GPU that will launch next year, is said to be on a level of gtx 1080, which by the time PS5 will launch in 2019, 2020, it will have a mid range GPU.
Due to console optimizations however, you will need a 2020 top gpu most likely to run the graphics on the same level as they will be on ps5,xbox 2.

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/04/03/semiacccurate-gets-playstation-5next-details/

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom