Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Oh boy!
I can't for the next cycle of no new games for the first couple of years (despite all the "true next-gen™ experience" marketing), and then all the exclusive games interactive movies until the next generation of consoles!

:happytrollboy:

:shitandpiss:

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Especially when all the power of the Series X will be going into 4k resolution and optional effects, since the games will be designed around much cheaper and less powerful machines. PC gamers tend to want max settings for everything though, and in that case yes you'll need to beat the Series X by a good margin.

Venser

Erudite
t77x00skjgn41.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you can run current games at 1080p 60 fps, you will most likely still be able to play the new ones at the same res without raytracing and a few sliders to the left.

Mark my words : i7-4790k, 980 GTX. It will last the entire next gen.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's much weaker than the Xbox Series X but it has a good SSD.

Which means we will get multiplatform titles that will both use the crappy SSD and the disappointing PS5 specs.

Perkel

Arcane
Not necessarily. The new standard plateau here is ~4K-ish @ 60-120 fps. People playing at lower resolutions shouldn't feel like selling a kidney for a good gaming PC.

lol try 20-30fps at 1080p. I am willing to bet that shitty framerate on consoles still be shitty and developers instead of high res will go toward better effects like they always do.

I mean there were games on PS4 that run at 1280x720 and below (with dynamic res)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Not necessarily. The new standard plateau here is ~4K-ish @ 60-120 fps. People playing at lower resolutions shouldn't feel like selling a kidney for a good gaming PC.

lol try 20-30fps at 1080p. I am willing to bet that shitty framerate on consoles still be shitty and developers instead of high res will go toward better effects like they always do.

I mean there were games on PS4 that run at 1280x720 and below (with dynamic res)

They have been quite explicit at targeting higher framerates and resolutions. Nobody wants to target 1k@30fps in the next gen anymore.

Oh boy!
I can't for the next cycle of no new games for the first couple of years (despite all the "true next-gen™ experience" marketing), and then all the exclusive games interactive movies until the next generation of consoles!
I have a feeling it will be just like previous gen where the new launch games that get announced and released will just be games displaying the graphical fidelity of the new specs. After that, games will return running at an un-optimized state. The specs and aesthetics might change, but they are still the same incompetent people. Some crossover is again, likely, with multiplatform and exclusive games.

Perkel

Arcane
They have been quite explicit at targeting higher framerates and resolutions. Nobody wants to target 1k@30fps in the next gen anymore.

Exact same talk was before ps3 and ps4 and even ps2. I mean ps3 120fps is meme for a reason.
PS4 when was announced also had GPU only tier lower than the best and yet we have generation of 20-30fps games.

Don't know if it has been posted, but this should be a treat for you guys.

https://archive.is/dyIgN

Xbox Series X: Making Gaming’s Best Controller Even Better
by Will Tuttle, Xbox Wire Editor in Chief • Mar 16, 2020 @ 5:00am

Xbox Wire: Did you make design choices with the new Wireless Controller to be more inclusive of all players?

Ryan Whitaker: Yes. Being more inclusive is part of the design process from the very beginning. That’s true for everything we make at Xbox. Whether we’re redesigning our standard controller or inventing a completely new one, like the Adaptive Controller, we ask ourselves and gamers, “How can we make gaming a better experience for everyone?” By listening to gamers and observing how people of all backgrounds and abilities play, we continue to learn more and find areas we can improve.

Xbox Wire: What sort of specific design changes did you make to reach that goal?
Ryan Whitaker: One key area we’re improving is fitting a wider range of hand sizes, especially smaller hands. By accommodating hands similar to those of an average 8-year-old, we found we could improve accessibility and comfort for hundreds of millions more people without negatively affecting the experience for those with larger hands. We did that by rounding the bumpers, slightly reducing and rounding parts around the triggers, and carefully sculpting the grips.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Exact same talk was before ps3 and ps4 and even ps2. I mean ps3 120fps is meme for a reason.
PS4 when was announced also had GPU only tier lower than the best and yet we have generation of 20-30fps games.

Yeah, console salespeople always talk about higher framerates at the beginning and then they always end up prioritizing visuals and sacrificing framerate in the end, outside of a few outliers. Series X is better, but better enough to double performance? I doubt it. "4k" has become such a marketing term at this point I'm sure that will be the priority for both machines, above most other things. Also even if they do manage frequent 60fps games, it isn't impressive anymore anyway, when 144hz monitors are commonplace.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Is it ? 10.5TF and 12TF isn't that much of a difference.
It's 9.1 TF vs 12.3 TF, pretty large difference. PS5's boost clock runs at 10.1TF. So...

And in practice, nobody will notice.

The one graphical feature that would be able to make a real visual difference is Raytracing, and the consoles are just gonna suck at those.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
And in practice, nobody will notice.

The one graphical feature that would be able to make a real visual difference is Raytracing, and the consoles are just gonna suck at those.
You'll notice plenty when you are stuck with using that box. It's the pop-ins, the shadow filter lines, the AO solutions, the little things adding up. And above all the fckn performance, the damn PS4 pro barely gave me 30 in a lot of games, and in games that attempt to run 60 it struggles. That's where the fckn difference comes in.

Also, the consoles have ray-tracing cores which means it's hardware ray-tracing and consoles should be pretty good at them atleast for now. Though XbsX outdoes the PS5 by bit of a margin.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Pop-ins? With their super duper new I/O system and SSD?

And have you seen that ridiculous Minecraft RT demo? An RTX 2060 can probably do better than that. No way those consoles will provide good RT. AMD's R&D budget is abysmal compared to what Nvidia can invest in.

You're all criticizing the new consoles for the wrong reasons.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
And have you seen that ridiculous Minecraft RT demo? An RTX 2060 can probably do better than that. No way those consoles will provide good RT. AMD's R&D budget is abysmal compared to what Nvidia can invest in.
Fine. Show me a RTX 2060 doing fckn Pathtracing! That shit is heavy.

Anyway,
5OeHvWc.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom